More on panel cleaning...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

drlazybones

Hi all,

I'm happy to say I'm the proud new owner of some filthy old Sequel II dinosaurs. I already vacuumed the panels, with a great improvement, so I'm planning on washing them tonight.

I wonder - is it ok to use a slightly soapy solution to clean them, or will that potentially damage the coating on the diaphragm? Let me know what you think of this idea: I'll use a few drops of liquid Dawn in a filled bathtub, and float the panel back and forth in the tub. Then, I'll take the panel to the shower and wash off the entire surface on both sides. Repeat, air dry, listen...

Tom

Tom,
I think in the Tweak Section is "Dan's Cleaning Service" Seriously,
Dan and I both have Sequell II's. Mine about 14 years old and I am not sure how Dan's are. My panels were replace about 3 years ago. Dan did give his a shower but I do not recall soap. Check it out before you take a dip. :eek:

Jeff

I just rinsed them off with warm water...no soap used for me. But I have heard of people using a very mild type of soap on them while rinsing. As far as submersing them in water.....Not sure on that one as I never heard of someone actually doing that. For me I would check with ML first. Rinsing does cover them in water, but not sure what soaking them would do...

BTW...I think my panels are 14-15 years...

Dan

New Dawn? NO DAWN!

Don't, don't, don't use Dawn under any circumstances. Weak or strong, it is likely wrong.
It leaves a distinct residue and it is unlikely that you can get it all off without repeating the rinse, who knows, how many times. The total suraface area of the panels, considering both sides is quite large. From using Dawn to wash stemware, I know that it takes many rinses before it leaves no tastable residue. Crystal has a much finer structure than mylar, so the residue with that would be even harder to get off. Then there is the issue of the stators, foam rubber, etc. Not worth the risk.
I discussed panel cleaning with Jim Power of ML because I have well water with lots of minerals. His advice, don't use this.
Stick to water alone.
Rouvin

I still like the idea of using a Mr. Clean “auto dry” carwash, with NO soap, to wash the panels.

I am sure you have seen the commercials for it.

It’s that car wash accessory, that has a disposable water purifier cartage built in, that removes all the minerals out of your water to leave a spot free finish on your car with out towel drying.

Ok, thanks for the warning...

I'll be sure to NOT do that then, although, a soap scum might actually HELP these panels =) I'm not sure they have much life left in them in any case...

Thanks again,

Tom

I would be very reluctant to use soap or any other chemicals to clean the panels. The residue could alter the properties of the Mylar membrane which has already a layer of conductive coating. The warm water wash should remove anything that is water soluble. I know from experience that there can be discolouration to the membrane indicating something is still there, but assuming you remove this using soap or any other chemical you might in fact be doing more damage by destroying the original Mylar conductive coating.

I have written other posts on how certain types of soap can be beneficial to repairing the conductive properties on these panels so take note that this can have an adverse affect unless you know what you are doing.

I have also written other posts relating to the Mylar coating loosing its conductive properties and how to detect this. This can sometimes be related to the washing technique as airborne chemicals over time can have assisted to remove the Mylar conductive coating and washed away in the process. For those who can't imagine how this happened think of Pledge, Windex, Air fresheners and WAF.

enilsen said:
I have written other posts on how certain types of soap can be beneficial to repairing the conductive properties on these panels so take note that this can have an adverse affect unless you know what you are doing.

Hi,
The soap having conductive qualities would be fine, as long as it remained ONLY on the mylar diaphragm. However if used in a wash, it will coat the insulators, and foam as well, causing these to become conductive, which you do not want. Stick with straight water would be my advice.

Peter

Latest posts

Back