Quantcast

Washing panels without taking them off speakers

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

jasonz1121

Reaction score
My vistas have been hissing for the whole summer when humidity is higher than 60 percent. Vacuuming doesn't help with this problem. So I thought the panels have got dirty again due to my non-ideal environment. Since last time I washed them in the shower and it was quite a bit of effort, I decided to try a new way. This time I used a small carpet cleaner, a fine makeup brush and a spray bottle with distilled water. The process is quite simple. First, I sprayed some distilled water onto a small section of the panel. Then I agitated it with the makeup brush. I payed close attention not to spray too much water to the places which are close to the edges so the water doesn't get into the seams. After I've done with brushing. I sprayed more distilled water onto the panel to perform a flush while I was holding the vacuum head to suck all the water out the same time. I clean a small section a time and then move onto the next one. After I finished vacuuming, the panel is 99% dry. Finally I set my hair dryer to lowest heat to give the panel a good blow to dry the last 1 percent. The result is very significant. I only did it on the front side of a single speaker to test out, and the hissing is pretty much gone. I think after I finished cleaning the back side, the hissing problem will be completely cured.

Last edited:

hillbilly

Reaction score
That sounds promising!
If there's any way you could post pics or video, it would really help:)
Please let us know the final results.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Hah! Perhaps those of us with the later models (those with metal frames) could rig up a system to hold the entire speaker upside down in the shower, so no disassembly required. Who wants to go first? 😁

roberto

Reaction score
Yes, only one side, this is reason why you should wash only front side. The conductive coat is located at the front only. Believe it or not.
The diaphragm is so thin, that only one side is necessary to have the bias voltage.

Happy listening!

Last edited:

jasonz1121

Reaction score
I should have been more specific with the result of washing only the front side of the panel. So I’d say 95 percent of the noise is gone. I can only hear the hissing with my ear “on” the panel, which I don’t consider it as a problem anymore.

roberto

Reaction score
Hola Jason1121,
That hissing noise, do you have the power amplifier turned on? Do this: play 10 seconds of a song, and then, turn off the power amplifier. Do you still have the hissing noise? The hissing could be the output stage of your power amplifier, this is called signal to noise ratio and this hissing is normal. If you have a distance of 3 feet away from the speakers, can you still hear the hissing?

Happy listening!

jasonz1121

Reaction score
Hola Jason1121,
That hissing noise, do you have the power amplifier turned on? Do this: play 10 seconds of a song, and then, turn off the power amplifier. Do you still have the hissing noise? The hissing could be the output stage of your power amplifier, this is called signal to noise ratio and this hissing is normal. If you have a distance of 3 feet away from the speakers, can you still hear the hissing?

Happy listening!
It’s nothing to do with my amp. With everything off except for the speaker with the music sense indicator on, the hissing is still there.

Robert D

Reaction score
It’s nothing to do with my amp. With everything off except for the speaker with the music sense indicator on, the hissing is still there.
Did you try unhooking the speaker cable to see if the sound is still there?