Alternate panel cleaning idea?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildcat Rudy

Reaction score
Rather than put my forthcoming Sequel IIs through the wash and rinse cycle in the shower, I am considering trying...compressed air.

No, I'm not talking about a 120 psi blast that would put holes through twelve inches of solid concrete (or mylar diaphragms for that matter), but just a bit more than what a typical good vacuum cleaner would put out. I have a decent sized compressor in the garage that has a filter for the air (to keep oil/moisture out of the air stream), and can dial the pressure way down.

I'm thinking it might be more effective than a vacuum cleaner. The best one we have in the house is a Riccar, which out-sucks even the industrial shop vac we have in the garage. I have not yet seen or heard the panels (I bought them in a remote state, and a friend is storing them for now), but at the price I paid, even if the dusting and/or washing won't work, I'm only out a couple hundred bucks, and can wait to replace the panels. They're going to be one of my DIY projects in the coming months.

Has anyone tried compressed air on panels before?

A number of people have done that and reported good results. I think that the consensus is showering is the last result before replacement,

I would still be concerned there might be some oil vapors in the air, if it's a run-of-the-mill separator/filter?

Those polyester film diaphragms are extremely thin to be blowing focused compressed air against.

It may work but there's a greater chance of splitting or stretching the membrane IMO.

From ML's FAQ
http://www.martinlogan.com/learn/faq-electrostatic.php#13

Vacuuming will be most effective if the speakers have been unplugged for six hours to twelve hours (i.e. overnight). You need not worry about the vacuum pressure damaging the "delicate" membrane. It is extraordinarily durable. Dirt and dust may be vacuumed off with a brush attachment connected to your vacuum cleaner, or you may blow them off with compressed air. When vacuuming or blowing off your panels do so to both sides, but focus the majority of your attention on the front of the panels.

You should read the entire FAQ since not all ML speakers are ESL's

I would still be concerned there might be some oil vapors in the air, if it's a run-of-the-mill separator/filter?

It's some industrial contraption used for automotive paint sprayers. ;)

robertawillisjr said:
A number of people have done that and reported good results. I think that the consensus is showering is the last result before replacement,

I'm thinking of blowing it in at an angle, and at a bit of a distance. It does not take much force to blow out dust. I don't yet have the speakers here, so I have no clue as to what condition the panels are in. (Although, they were stored for a few years before I bought them.)

Back