ML Summits / BW N802

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeb

Reaction score
Anybody here ever really compare the Summits to the BW N802's? I just purchased a set of Summits, they should be here in about a week. I currently have a set of BW N802's. I demo'd the Summits and fell in love with them but couldn't really afford them. At the time, I felt they were a notch above the 802's. I'm just curious if anybody else made the switch or if you'd care to comment on the comparison.
joeb

get ready to take the wax out of your ears:eek: you will love the detail of those speakers.so much faster and articulate than a b&w speaker. make sure you toe them in right please check the flashlight trick for optimum results these speakers have a sweet spot something the 802's do not.

Anybody here ever really compare the Summits to the BW N802's? I just purchased a set of Summits, they should be here in about a week. I currently have a set of BW N802's. I demo'd the Summits and fell in love with them but couldn't really afford them. At the time, I felt they were a notch above the 802's. I'm just curious if anybody else made the switch or if you'd care to comment on the comparison.
joeb

Joe, Welcome ! Not only did I listen to the 802D's vs. Summitt, I spent considerable time comparing the 803D's to the Vantage's, since this was the budget range I was working with.

I really liked the B&W's but when comparing critical solo piano works the lesser priced Logan's were superior IMO.

I wish I could remember the model I auditioned. It was in the 800 series, but I am not sure if they were the 802Ds.

Having said that, I really enjoyed the B&W speakers! There are some things the B&Ws excel at and there things that ML excels at. It's all a matter of taste.

I wish I could remember the model I auditioned. It was in the 800 series, but I am not sure if they were the 802Ds.

Having said that, I really enjoyed the B&W speakers! There are some things the B&Ws excel at and there things that ML excels at. It's all a matter of taste.

Agreed. I've only heard the 802D and while very different from the ML's, still a great speaker.

My guess is after a little bit of side by side listening you will probably really love one and not respond so well to the other. It will depend on your room, system and music.

Let us know what you think! (and decide on in the end)

X350 or 250?

My Summits are supposed to be here an minute. I'm just wondering how much juice they really need. I have both a Pass Labs x250 and a X350. I've tried them both on my BW's and they are pretty equally matched, sometimes the 250 seems a bit more refined but the 350 handles any demanding passages with good extension. Anybody care to comment?
jb

Either amp will be more than adequate for the summits. The maximum wattage isn't really the important issue, except when driving the speakers at high volume.

Only one thing to do joeb, try 'em both! Then tell us what you thought. We all like to learn what people think here, even if we don't agree.

Bet your excited - post a pic or two if you can.

I have both a Pass Labs x250 and a X350. Anybody care to comment?
jb

TomDac is using the "250" to drive his Summitts, I'm willing to bet he is more than happy !

Hi jb,

Have the 250.5 in my system and no complaints. I would assume, in theory, the 350 would sound better at higher volumes (more current required) given the fact it has more headroom in the pure / non switching Class A mode versus the AB mode.

Would appreciate your observations once you AB between the two.

I'm confident that you will enjoy your Summits and they will allow you to hear whatever differences there may be between the two amps.

GG

Last edited:
I just got em out of the box, whoopie, like Xmas. Man, they are beautiful!, they are the cherry red, I thought I was getting the natural wood, but I like these much better. Can't wait till tomorrow to hook em up.
jb

I just got em out of the box, whoopie, like Xmas. Man, they are beautiful!, they are the cherry red, I thought I was getting the natural wood, but I like these much better. Can't wait till tomorrow to hook em up.
jb

You're gonna wait 'till tomorrow?! :eek:

I sure would like to compare that pass x250 to my rotel or maybe not:confused:

yeah I actually spent about an hour on the phone with someone at pass labs I just called for a couple of quick questions about there product line and man those guys do like what they do!!! he talked and talked amps they really gave me a confident feeling if i was to drop some cash on a new amp they would get it! I once called krell and they never called me back or answered the phone what a bunch of jerks! an hour on the phone for a potential $6,000.00 -
15,0000.00 "for class A I believe" dollar sale not a bad deal in my book.

Last edited:
Steve,

If you are considering a new amp the Pass Labs are great, but also consider the Sanders Sound Systems, Roger will also spend all the time on the phone with you that you need. Either one will treat you right. If you want to audition the Sanders, PM me i am just up the street from you in Wheaton.

--burke

Well, I spent several hours today comparing the BW/ML's. the first thing I noticed, which was almost immediately, was the deep, extended bass! the next thing was the imaging, people talk about "holographic" imaging, but these puppies really do it! The clarity and musicality is just superb. The one thing that the 802's do have is that tremendous mid-range, but I think the Summits are a pretty equal match. but that bass and sound-staging, and clarity! Whew, especially on acoustic instruments, piano, guitar, oh, and I almost forgot. The BW's tend to be fairly "trebly" and on some passages the high's can sound "brittle", but there was none of that with the Summits. The highs were "clear as a bell". I waited to post because I wasn't sure if I was going to be a "regular" here on ML, but, as they say, "Dude", Count me in!! The music is back!! Don't get me wrong, the 802's are superb speakers, but the Summits are better, definitely worth the investment. Tomorrow I test comparing the Pass Labs X250 to my X350. Then after my decsion is made, I'm going to post some pics. Bye, gotta go listen to some music! jb

I must say the new B&W diamond tweeter is some of the best treble I have ever heard. It was 803d with all Ayre electronics. My then current Aeons i's beat them in midrange and bass. I susspect 802 is better in that respect.

Definative audio in Seattle has a pair of 802D's available today only for $4200. If I had not purchased my Vantages a few months back I would be all over these. The Vantages sound great though and I plan to keep 'em a long time.

Last edited:
Are you sure that's not $4200 EACH? that doesn't sound like something Definitive would do. jb

Back