ML Production moving

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Merging two companies with completely different products & distribution would be foolish. Instead, we now have the opportunity to share technologies, testing & measuring equipment, and other synergies (I know, I hate that word, too). For example, instead of THREE engineering groups trying to solve similar problems separately, we now have the chance to work together.

This is certainly an example where there is opportunity to bring back production to North America, which in my mind, would be a win. For now, I believe that sourcing for existing products will remain the same, BUT the ML team will be working hard on using the strengths of the new facility in the future; cone speaker manufacturing would be one of those possibilities we could now certainly investigate.

Rob Zimmerman, who has been with MartinLogan for over 19 years building ESL panels, has already started the process. It's hard work and from what I hear, he's doing a great job. As previously pointed out, this won't happen overnight, but with people like Rob leading the way, I have a lot of faith.

Now here's where you need to change your thinking a bit. Creating "friendly" home theater was LONG overdue from MartinLogan, and the Motion series was the direct answer to that absence. I don't know if you've ever heard the phrase "a rising tide lifts all boats," but that's certainly the case here. If anything, more demand for the ML brand will create more opportunity for high end products. By contrast, if there's no growth in a shrinking ultra-high-end market, and that's all we sold, where would be moving forward?

Just as side note based on my own personal experiences in the industry, the Motion Series is anything BUT "low-fi." A lot of time, energy and engineering has gone into finding the best technologies that mesh well with the basic principles of our ESL sound. That's one reason why I wanted to get these in the hands of our core customers, because I can say just about anything, but the real test will be from those most closely familiar with ML's signature sound (that's you guys!). More to come on this, but we'll be extending a lot more "trials" with you guys with upcoming products, including ESL products.

Hmmm...a flagship above the CLX? Well, I'm afraid I can't provide any answers to that one, I guess you'll have to wait and see. :)

The Ethos won't be a replacement for the Vista/Vantage, but fall somewhere between Vantage and Spire.

Even if I wanted to, I can't say one way or another on the rest of these questions. But a question for you, what type of product, and what features, would you want to see in a product between the Spire/Summit X/CLX?

No. Everything else remains in Kansas. Good thing, cause I just moved here in August from Maryland! Needless to say, I wouldn't be too happy about that.

I hope that answered your questions, that's as best I can do!

~Justin

I will admit I was a little nervous now I feel a lot better! thanks man.it sure sounds like a lot of good things to come to me.

Hey Justin -- Thanks for engaging. Most of us have very real concerns, and we want these concerns heard and recognized.

Too much communication is almost always better than not quite enough.

So, thanks for your efforts, and your answers so far.

Please keep it up!

Last edited:
Hey Justin -- Thanks for engaging. Most of us have very real concerns, and we these concerns heard and recognized.

Too much communication is almost always better than not quite enough.

So, thanks for your efforts, and your answers so far.

Please keep it up!

No problem, looks like I'm long overdue. By the way, how's the snow? I moved from Towson, MD (with family in Frederick) so I'm getting reports that it's ridiculous out there. Man I dodged that weather train wreck!

~Justin

But a question for you, what type of product, and what features, would you want to see in a product between the Spire/Summit X/CLX?

How about a new speaker that is a ESL panel only, like the CLS, but maybe a tad smaller; so many of us have subs and don't need the powered bass drivers. Make an ESL panel that plays down to 100 or 120hz and I'll cross it over to my sub.

Thanks for responding to this thread.

Nice to see your participation on this thread Justin. One suggestion though, as ML's new web-savvy Director of Marketing... I'm sure you understand it's inevitable that "word" of ML's production "move" to Paradigm will certainly spread via other online "audiophile" and general "A/V" forums. I suggest the management team at Shoreview/ML prepare an official press release, if they haven't already done so, stating the facts of the matter, and reassuring their dealers, former and future customers, etc. that the ML brand/technology/customer service is NOT going away. With the AXPONA show just a couple weeks off, better to get the facts out there now, rather than let the rumors run rampant (as they have here). Frankly, it's a bit worrisome that Shoreview/ML hadn't previously thought to do this.

Justin,

Thanks again for your responses. Just to follow up:

No. Merging two companies with completely different products & distribution would be foolish.

Agreed! Glad you see it that way, too. I sincerely hope you are able to foster cooperation and utilize synergies between the two brands to the benefit of both. That is certainly easier to conceptualize than to implement.

Rob Zimmerman, who has been with MartinLogan for over 19 years building ESL panels, has already started the process.

Thank you for that. That statement goes a long way toward soothing my concerns about the transition in production. Just out of curiosity, do you know whether the esl panels themselves will still be put together by hand, or will this process become more automated at the new factory? Not saying one is necessarily better than the other. Just curious if the method of constructing them is likely to change at the new facility.

Now here's where you need to change your thinking a bit. Creating "friendly" home theater was LONG overdue from MartinLogan, and the Motion series was the direct answer to that absence. I don't know if you've ever heard the phrase "a rising tide lifts all boats," but that's certainly the case here.

I understand your point, but don't completely agree with it. I have seen too many companies lose their focus on higher end products when chasing too many smaller fish. The home theater market is a very crowded, competitive marketplace. You didn't really answer my question about the size and growth of your R&D department. If you aren't growing it, and they are spending more and more of their time researching and designing new products for the home theater lines, that would naturally leave them a lot less time to drive technology forward at the high end. Hence the question.

Just as side note based on my own personal experiences in the industry, the Motion Series is anything BUT "low-fi."

I am sure you are proud of them and I don't mean to disparage them. I am simply trying to distinguish between speakers costing hundreds of dollars and geared toward the average joe sixpack with a flatscreen, vs. speakers the caliber of the CLX, Summit, Prodigy, Statement, CLS, etc. In my mind, the latter takes a much greater commitment of R&D resources to get right than the former. If those resources aren't available, then the development of those higher end speakers will certainly suffer. I guess I am just seeking some reassurance that that won't happen.

Hmmm...a flagship above the CLX? Well, I'm afraid I can't provide any answers to that one, I guess you'll have to wait and see. :)

Nice teaser.

Even if I wanted to, I can't say one way or another on the rest of these questions. But a question for you, what type of product, and what features, would you want to see in a product between the Spire/Summit X/CLX?

Fair enough. I have already stated a few things earlier. I would like to see another leap forward in ESL panel technology.

I would like to see more development of the full range ESL line (i.e., non-hybrid speakers). I am talking speakers with larger (wider) panels, no crossovers, and deeper bass from the panel. I am also talking about full range stats that are smaller than an airplane wing.

I think everyone agrees that a crossoverless, full range stat has the most seamless, lifelike sound available, but few companies have put the time and effort to produce them. Ultimately, the hybrid model is a workaround to the engineering difficulties of the full range stat panel, and it comes with its own sonic limitations. Further engineering to take the lessons learned from the CLX to produce a greater range of models of non-hybrid ELS speakers would be a true testament to the legacy of Martin Logan.

Likewise, it would be nice to have a full range stat panel that could honestly hit 30 hz. or one that didn't necessarily have to be huge to achieve that goal. I know these are very difficult goals from an engineering perspective, but that is what R&D is for, right? To push the bounds of what is possible.

I also think you need to explore the possibility of making some hybrid speakers with larger (wider and taller) panels. I honestly think ML lost something in the sound when they went to the smaller x-stat panel. There is a depth of timbre and tone that a speaker like the Prodigy had that no ML speaker since has possessed, in my opinion (and in the opinions of numerous Prodigy owners -- you rarely hear about a Prodigy owner "upgrading" to a Summit).

Larger-panel speakers like the Prodigy, the Monolith, the Maggie 20.1's, Soundlabs, etc., also produce a "wall of sound" experience that is unparalleled. It would be nice to have some higher end speakers from ML that competed once again on those grounds.

Also, on your higher end hybrid stats like the Summit X, I think a lot of people would like more flexibility with the woofer amp. Perhaps you could make the internal amp an option and give people the option to buy the speaker without it at a slightly reduced cost. Most audiophiles want to have control over what amp drives their speakers. Another option would be a separate high-end external amp/electronic crossover system like what Roger Sanders offers on his speakers instead of the internal amp.

Well, I guess that's enough to get you started. :D

No. Everything else remains in Kansas.

Glad to hear it.

I hope that answered your questions, that's as best I can do!

You answered them nicely and allayed some, if not all, of my fears. I do sense a shift in commitment to your high end customers, particularly with your announcement that replacement panels may be discontinued for some legacy models. Gayle always had a very strong policy of supporting his customers through the life of the product and that went a long way toward building the reputation of the brand. That reputation can be quickly shattered with a few poor decisions by current management.

I understand that times change and new management has to make their own decisions based on their own view of the business, but I think this could be a very bad decision. It is well known that stat panels have a limited lifespan, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter depending on conditions. But if someone is shelling out ten to twenty grand or more for a pair of speakers, they are going to want to know that you are going to commit to provide replacement panels for those speakers ten or twenty years down the road. I think it is imperative that you come up with a very clear policy in this regard moving forward.

More importantly, I think you need to consider ways to better communicate such decisions to your customer base in a timely manner. This decision should have been announced when it was made, rather than us having to drag it out of you in this manner. Likewise, I think if the move of production had been announced along with some of the information you have provided here, instead of us finding out about it from a Lawrence newspaper article posted by a former employee, a lot of the negativity and speculation in this rather long thread could have been avoided or at least somewhat negated. Just food for thought.

One final question for you:

What question do you begin each day with?

PS: A call to arms for those folks who can work with with "photoshop" software. Let's see some renderings. In all view angles of course.

Did you see the renderings (Can't remember who did them) of the airframe CLX? That looked fantastic and really helped with the imposing size of the existing CLX. That said, I have no idea about the technical feasability of such a design.

Yes we will continue to provide replacement panels for some older models (just like we do now), but as time moves forward we simply can't support EVERY model, especially the older ones.

This is of special concern to me as I own both CLSIIzs and Sequel IIs without a source of new panels they will be doomed for the dumpster eventually and that would be a shame.
Is this going to be a new program of planned obsolescence?

This is of special concern to me as I own both CLSIIzs and Sequel IIs without a source of new panels they will be doomed for the dumpster eventually and that would be a shame.

I have to say that I appreciate the new forthcoming information but must agree with the above statement what a shame to discontinue older panel models.I can't imagine it not being worthwhile at some price to offer all panels to all models for all customers that was really a nice service that added overall value to Martin Logan.some people have sentimental attachment to their speaker some people have been left them by by family members that are know longer with us what a shame if they could know longer use them on a day to day basis.

Last edited:
I have to say that I appreciate the new forthcoming information but must agree with the above statement what a shame to discontinue older panel models.I can't imagine it not being worthwhile at some price to offer all panels to all models for all customers that was really a nice service that added overall value to Martin Logan.

Also I may add who will want to buy a several thousand dollar speaker if they don't have some reasonable guarantee that it will not become obsolete a few years down the line.

As the CLS models are 20+ years old, I can't say I'd expect them to make panels forever. So I guess if you have CLS's and you want to keep em, grab a pair of panels now while you still can!

It's one thing for an Apple iPod, but I jolly hope not on something costing $AUD 25,000!!

Just look at ARC.......they still support EVERY product they have made. I hope this remains the case with ML as well - there are not that many panels that have been made either. Most have been used in several models (eg. Sequel/Sequel II/SL3/Ascent/Ascent i).

As the CLS models are 20+ years old, I can't say I'd expect them to make panels forever. So I guess if you have CLS's and you want to keep em, grab a pair of panels now while you still can!

I don't see why not. They SELL the panels - they are not a free giveaway, and they are sold for considerably more money than would be indicitave of their inclusion in a new / complete product. Again I say - is this a company in the same league as ARC or Jaguar (you can still get a new hubcap for a MKII you know) or are we heading more like Apple or Nokia?

Hello,
This is the first that I have read of no longer offering support for Legacy Models. If I owned Monoliths, Sequels, Quest, Logos, etc, I would buy Replacement Panels now.

The realization that Replacement Panels for Legacy Models will at some point no longer be available, will definitely impact resale values.

For our Members with Legacy Models, would it be possible to find out which Models will no longer have Replacement Panels available?
Cheers,
ML

it would be decidely WRONG for a panel to be discontinued without fair warning. i believe that the recent set of panel price increases were "discovered" without any annoucement. i happen to think that the new prices are fair, and yes, i did get bit by the increase because i held off buying until the new room is set up.

but if a panel is to be discontinued, Justin - please give us some heads up.

thank you.
Lance Bailey
CLS, Logos, script (X4) depth (x2).

I don't see why not. They SELL the panels - they are not a free giveaway, and they are sold for considerably more money than would be indicitave of their inclusion in a new / complete product. Again I say - is this a company in the same league as ARC or Jaguar (you can still get a new hubcap for a MKII you know) or are we heading more like Apple or Nokia?

I have to agree with this. at the enthusiast level I would like to see full support of all legacy products, 20 years in not that long ago. I think TonePub would feel differently if his HIFI cup was not so overflowing with new products and models to play with ever week!

Justin

I am a marketing guy myself and I know how tough it can be. Kind of a damned if you do and damned if you don't mentality, but you give it your best and deliver the message with real enthusiasm, well people will respond to that. I like to describe real enthusiasm as 'Desire on Fire' and it can't be faked and people can tell the difference. But enough chit chat:D

As for what I would like to see next from ML, well kind of selfishly, since I have built a multi-channel system around the CLXs, I would really like to see a bigger center channel that would be maybe 2/3 or 1/2 or maybe even 1/3 the size of the CLX but with panels arranged horizontally and matched perfectly with the CLXs. I guess you would call it a 'true' CLX Center Channel Speaker.

The other possible addition to my system would be a Mini-CLX that I could use for the rear channels, side channels or for that matter any channel other than the Front Left or Front Right, maybe even the center.:D

By the way, I have been using ML Stylos for my 7.1 Home Theater since 1996and am still using my re-paneled ML Stylos for my Home Theater because I still haven't seen or heard a speaker that can be mounted up out of the way on a wall and yet throw the classic ML open and airy sound, like the large panel on the Stylos.

If ML makes the right moves, I will continue to add to my 20 odd ML speaker collection.:D

Did you see the renderings (Can't remember who did them) of the airframe CLX? That looked fantastic and really helped with the imposing size of the existing CLX. That said, I have no idea about the technical feasability of such a design.

Adam,

Yes I do recall but it's not applicable to a speaker with the dimensions I've suggested.

As for technical feasibility, ML has produced panels of similar sizes before so I don't see why they could not do it again, using current panel technology.

I'll try to stay out of the way Rich. I thought I'd try a different angle. It really appears that this is your thread. :confused:

And at this point, I think I'm done with it.

GG

To answer the second part, yes they will be made in Canada, and there will be no price change*.
From other threads on this forum, it seems that Plurison, your distributor in Canada, has a huge markup on replacement panels, such that they are almost twice the price that they are in the U.S. Will this change once the panels are made in Canada, or will Plurison continue to gouge us ?

As the CLS models are 20+ years old, I can't say I'd expect them to make panels forever.

Their customer support is one of the things that separate ML from other companies. The panels are a consumable I would expect as long as there is a Martin Logan they should make panels for every model they have ever made how else are you going to support your customer.
Saying they will discontinue panels for some models to me is the most alarming statement they have made for their present and future customers. I think it shows just what direction they are headed in.

From other threads on this forum, it seems that Plurison, your distributor in Canada, has a huge markup on replacement panels, such that they are almost twice the price that they are in the U.S. Will this change once the panels are made in Canada, or will Plurison continue to gouge us ?

you know Bernard I was thinking about that as well but did not say anything. in the past wasn't their story something about importation had something to do with the monetary raping??? looks like the shoe is on the other foot now.

Latest posts

Back