PBK: ARC For ML Subwoofers & Masterpiece Speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to add;
I re did some ARCs the other day to confirm if the method I suggested really is better (to me!) than ttocs. I tried both, night and day. Much prefer what I learned from ARC. YMMV and be careful! Ttocs knows his stuff so maybe there is something he knows I dont

Trinnov and McIntosh. The Mc sounds just a little better without the Trinnov running all the bells.

TBH - then stop wasting your time on M, W, XXX or whatever patterns and ARC. No offence meant - ARC is great in its class, but it really does not compare. Trinnov is all about running all the bells ;-).

Trinnov can do it all 10x better and in 15 min. I am just bit surprised - here in Europe dealers are obliged to come and install Altitude 32 based models.
If this is not the case in Canada - their support is another league, answering emails during the weekends, they are able to connect directly to your machine and do all the adjustments remotely. Get in touch with Jon Herron directly.

Another insider tip - there is a guy in France, that can work on your electrostats, as they require some non-standard settings to make them really sing, And I mean day and night difference betwen Optimizer On and Off. Or hire some calibrator, Jon will point you to some legends like Adam Pelz or Chuck Gerlack.

Feel free to DM me - I can give you some tips and tricks, if you want to tweak the things by yourself.

TBH - then stop wasting your time on M, W, XXX or whatever patterns and ARC. No offence meant - ARC is great in its class, but it really does not compare. Trinnov is all about running all the bells ;-).

Trinnov can do it all 10x better and in 15 min. I am just bit surprised - here in Europe dealers are obliged to come and install Altitude 32 based models.
If this is not the case in Canada - their support is another league, answering emails during the weekends, they are able to connect directly to your machine and do all the adjustments remotely. Get in touch with Jon Herron directly.

Another insider tip - there is a guy in France, that can work on your electrostats, as they require some non-standard settings to make them really sing, And I mean day and night difference betwen Optimizer On and Off. Or hire some calibrator, Jon will point you to some legends like Adam Pelz or Chuck Gerlack.

Feel free to DM me - I can give you some tips and tricks, if you want to tweak the things by yourself.
Thanks for the info man! And I totally will DM you. I am still learning, but you are not correct that the Trinnov is the end all be all and needs the bells and whistles. Not to MY ears, so I experiment until I’m happy.

Yet, always willing to learn

Something to keep in mind with "stacking" corrections is that it's not guaranteed to work.

When I tried using PEQ in my processor, and then applied a Dirac filter - also residing in the processor, it doesn't work at all. Lots of crazy results.

But I use ARC in my subs (the ARC correction resides in each sub), then after aligning them to each other create a EQ filter with REW and load that into the PEQ slots of the miniDSP (this REW correction resides in each miniDSP), then, use Dirac to apply more correction (this Dirac correction resides in the processor). This works most of the time.

As I've stated elsewhere, there are times when one type of correction or another in the stacked-correction isn't a good match to the "system" of corrections in the chain. It takes effort to determine which part of the chain doesn't work.

The usual for me is that it works well most of the time.

Technical Q - what would be the delay introduced via stacking of DSP Processing? [probably nothing really dramatic as long as you stay with IIR filters of both ARC and MiniDsp] but I would still expect couple of miliseconds. I think MiniDsp adds one layer for each processing step?

No idea about Emotiva - but I recall some people with Denon/Marantz/Audyssey gear and stacked DRC getting out of range for what their AVP could process as max delay/distance for subs - and then they ran into trouble with phase alignment between mains and subs.

Technical Q - what would be the delay introduced via stacking of DSP Processing? [probably nothing really dramatic as long as you stay with IIR filters of both ARC and MiniDsp] but I would still expect couple of miliseconds. I think MiniDsp adds one layer for each processing step?

No idea about Emotiva - but I recall some people with Denon/Marantz/Audyssey gear and stacked DRC getting out of range for what their AVP could process as max delay/distance for subs - and then they ran into trouble with phase alignment between mains and subs.
I've been super busy this last week and will be again this week, but since I had the mics setup I checked some stuff.

With the 13A, ARC on or off makes no difference in delay. This makes sense since it would be problematic if the delay were different and would mean needing to run correction on the processor for both states, on/off.

I wasn't able to get anything definitive with regards to Dirac enabled or not. And since I'm short on time again until week after next, this will have to wait, but it'll be interesting to know about. I'm getting ready for out of town guests and going to AXPONA end of the week.

Also, I only use miniDSP with the subs.

Latest posts

Back