Making the Clarity deliver the goods

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotroady

Reaction score
I found the Clarity has bass and upperbass/midrange issues. Muddy bass due to overhang. A rubber like timbre in the midrange. It was also very difficult to match a sub. I think ML was asking too much from it's 8" driver, wanting it to sound fuller in the lows. So far I found getting my pre amp back w my 181 damping factor amp, helped immensely. I put in a 1"dia cross brace that also pinned the port. The plastic bass plate is a disgrace. I put 2.2 lbs. of Plasti-clay on bass plate tops, reinstalled fiberglass matting in top and bottom chambers. The panel lost the rubber membrane sound, the lower mid/upper bass is more unveiled and focused. So much so, that when I switch the NAC on, I have to put my ear down real low to hear if its been switched or not. Use to be I could hear an improvement instantly, when switched on. Now I don't know if it will be of benefit. Midrange opened up substantially w pre amp and mods. The sub is doing a ventriliquist act now, It sounds like bass is coming on stronger through the speakers. There was a slight boom in bottom bass before. I use a front firing port sub, I feel it helps make the bass arrive quicker, it's centered behind speakers close to wall. I'm crossing over at around 70htz. I have ML's on slate plates. They were on spikes...I think this accents false bass..it sounds warmer and lower, but I'm aiming for more focused bass. I have 2.2lbs of Plasti-clay on plastic bottoms now..I will add lbs, to effect a seal to the slate. Sub is near minimal, but fills room nicely on the lower end. Standalone Clarity now doesn't go ass deep, but dumped a ton of mud..these speakers would never sound right w/o a sub, now they integrate pretty well, really. Need to order some asphalt absorption material to place directly behind driver and on outside of port..should further refine upper mids. Very happy so far..didn't change the crossovers, maybe not needed. I saw a Zero in Craigslist, nearby...sure would like to borrow it, just to see what it could do.

The Clarities make great surround speakers, but are relatively low-end by ML standards for main speakers. If you truly want a great-sounding main speaker, I suggest an upgrade to Vista, Vantage, or Summit.

they are what they are called clear "clarity" I own a pair if your room acoustics are really good they can sound great but do not expect much low end out of them I think Logan did a fine job on them.

They clearly, can be improved. They work well in smaller rooms driven by vintage tube equipment. Bigger is not always better in every case. I didn't look into modding because I wanted different speakers, This post is for those who want to see if more performance can be had from the Clarity.:rocker:

some pics of what you did sure would help illuminate this topic

some pics of what you did sure would help illuminate this topic

You are right Fish Man, I have pics in the camera, and need to do some hook ups to get them into the computer. I have been doing things in steps. I try to compare change in one speaker to the other, than if I think that step worked, apply it to the other. It only becomes clear, when both speakers have same mod, what real change has come about. I made a careful interference fit w the single cross brace before hot gluing to cabinet and port. I think it a worthwhile mod, even if you listen to speaks w/o sub. My scheme is to integrate a sub much better to cover the lows and focus upper bass and lower mid of the ML's. So far it's working like a charm. I am not a bass freak, I want it to come on when the music calls for it. Bloom is not so bad, but want to eliminate boom and defuse. As a whole, I have much greater synergy in my system , now. Aiming for a well blended, detailed and balanced sound, that is full range.

you can admit it you just want your 50cent cd's to sound good on your clarities:bump::bump::bump:

you can admit it you just want your 50cent cd's to sound good on your clarities:bump::bump::bump:

Actually I do, that's why I have an Alesis Masterlink-9600. It also has a better DAC in it, than many CD/DVD players. I auditioned a couple of DAC's at Van Alstines, petty amazing what they can do for redbook format. He also played a 10" 45 on his 'longhorn' turntable through Song Towers. Uncompressed CD, is my chosen format.

once in a blue moon me and friends have been known to throw down some rap in the HT.the spires handle it very well indeed.

I agree that the speaker has problems in the bass and mid-bass regions. ML is IMO asking the relatively small woofer and cabinet volume to go way too low at a relatively high efficiency. The Clarity NEEDS a sub with out a doubt. I have found that rolling off the bass with a 65Hz passive filter from Audio Concepts addresses the bass issues in the Clarity which surprisingly opens up the midrange and the top-end also.

Last edited:
I agree that the speaker has problems in the bass and mid-bass regions. ML is IMO asking the relatively small woofer and cabinet volume to go way to low at a relatively high efficiency. The Clarity NEEDS a sub WOAD. I have found that rolling off the bass with a 65Hz passive filter from Audio Concepts addresses the bass issues in the Clarity which surprisingly opens up the midrange and the top-end also.

Thanks risabet, We seem to be on the same track. I can reverse any changes I made so far..but want to explore the route I have took, further. I am much more satisfied w the Clarities' now.

I agree that the speaker has problems in the bass and mid-bass regions. ML is IMO asking the relatively small woofer and cabinet volume to go way to low at a relatively high efficiency. The Clarity NEEDS a sub with out a doubt. I have found that rolling off the bass with a 65Hz passive filter from Audio Concepts addresses the bass issues in the Clarity which surprisingly opens up the midrange and the top-end also.

anybody need a pair of those, I found em when cleaning the office...

For test purposes I have raised the ML's about 5" from the floor, on the slates. I wanted to better pinpoint what changes are to the mids. The crossover is about 80hz now. To my surprise, I could now clearly hear a difference when I changed phase. Seems to me, anything done inside that cabinet to cancel unwanted resonance, means less interaction of speakers resonance effecting room acoustics. Anyway, the phase change snapped in the mids. They are much warmer and less strident, just what the magic of tubes is about. I'm thinking it's really going to be something when I get better absorption material in behind the driver. I can now feel that nice little "pump" of air that happens inside the drums.

Last edited:
why don't you guy's find something better to do, than muck up someone's post? Besides, I went listen to purity and source yesterday..no thanks...see more potential w my Clarity, already !

Last edited:
get some good pics and you will get good responses

I want to see how you have defiled these martin logan beauties

Last edited:
Nothing to see from the outside, but I am working on pics posting from photobucket. Size too limited here to receive pics.
IMG_0086.jpg
This should show plasti-clay on plastic baseplate.

Last edited:
This is the end shot of speaker with baseplate. Plasti-clay is also applied on bottom. Really absorbs resonance.
IMG_0085.jpg

I think when Clarity first came out, Poly fill was thought to be best damping material. Times have changed. I installed 3/4" 3 layer acoustic foam from Parts Express. I did it in stages. There is three 'chambers' in each cab. The chamber directly behind the woofer benefits most by adding foam, next the bottom chamber. I also added the poly fill back in this area. The Plasti-clay stops resonance at the base. The fill helps with unwanted frequency absorption and sounds like adding volume to the cab(lower bass) I ended up lining the three chambers w the 3 layer foam..adding back the poly fill to top and bottom chambers. Midrange is much improved. I switched tubes in my Puresonic 410C amp. Telefunken smooth longplates 12AX7's were replaced with Valvo tilted getter 12AX7's. The Telefunken's have more sparkle on the top end. I can't believe how much better the Valvo's are for bass/mid bass. The tone is right. I decoupled the speakers from the floor, as they are set on 1" slate plates. I removed the spikes..they only contributed to amplifying false bass. The Clarity panels are both longer and taller than the Source or Purity, and are gen 2 design. I believe the cab is a better design, also. There are no parallel walls and the woofer is mounted higher for better line source. I'm not finished, yet...but these speakers sound very solid, and fuller. Tight, punchy mid bass, as you turn up the volume. Very full range and blending well w sub. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-530

Last edited:
Back