System #499 (Ascent)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Ward

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Peter Ward
2. Location: near Warwick, UK
3. ML Model(s): Ascent
4. Year Purchased: 2013
5. Mods/Changes: Foam damping on slope behind stator and in front of electronics in the cabinet, Cardas jumper plates, supported on 1 Stillpoint plus 2 Black Ravioli on marble plinth on carpet

6. Associated Electronics:
Modified Nottingham Analog Dais made of Panzerholz on thick slate base and Townsend seismic pods, NA Ace Space 12", Benz Wood SL, on thick slate slab supported on Townsend Seismic Pods
47Lab Shiygaraki phono amp
Lavardin IT
Quadraspire racks
Townsend Isolda speaker cable
Anti-cable interconnects
REL Studio mk1 subwoofer
Oppo 105D
Russ Andrews 8-way Ultrapurifier block
Power Inspired 1500 mains regenerator

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:
The clarity has always been present from the day I bought these second-hand in 2013. Initially the dynamics were lacking but with a few system changes they've improved. The swap to Isolda from anti-cable helped, as did supporting them on a Stillpoint and having the panels vertical rather than laid back. I still think a more powerful amp would improve things but I don't plan to change at present.

I've heard the latest ML Montis and although they look much more modern and I'm sure they're clearer still, they're not so different to the Ascents that I feel the need to rush out and buy them. I felt the bass was actually worse than the Ascent, woollier and not so deep. In fact the biggest improvement recently was the switch from REL Stadium mk1 to Studio mk1 -- huge, ugly and imposing but it really opened up the sound from bottom to top as the reviews of good subwoofers always say. I think that's enough expense for this year (hoping I don't need to swap my Benz Wood)!

photo(19).jpg

Pete, as always, nice to have another vinyl guy in the fold. Interesting table although I must admit my back aches looking at how far you have to bend over ! But I assume you're young and nimble !

Agree with Dave, nice to have another analog guy! How 'bout some close ups of your tables and the bases? Thanks and welcome!

Great looking system. As Dave and Steve said, always good to see another vinyl guy. Welcome!

When I used to run Ascents (and a Descent) I didn't think it worth buying Summits so I agree with you re the Montis statements.

Enjoy MLOC!:)

I thought I would update this since I'm here. I now have a Hana ML in place of the Benz SL. It's a great cartridge, better than the Benz while being cheaper, so I think it's good value.

I was reminded to come back here following a forum activity digest email today.

I've had the Ascents for over 10 years. I'd been looking for a secondhand pair of Summits (I've heard the Xs but I can't afford them) but with no success, and in any case they're not so young any more. Therefore, I bought a pair of ex-dem ESL-Xs this month. Unheard but I found them at a fairly good price and they're in perfect condition, and of course they have great reviews. As you will all be aware, they have smaller panels than the Ascents, and also smaller bass drivers although 2 of them, so are neater, more modern and more family-friendly. My early experience is that although they are more transparent than the Ascents they're not night-and-day better on that score, which I was very surprised at given the 20-year gap in the designs.

I have found it very hard to get them to image well, although to some extent I had that with the Ascents too. I've tried the speakers in many positions, including close to the front wall and close to side walls, but at present they're out from both and are ok. I have a pair of GIK absorbent panels and have found they help when used at the insides of the speakers, perhaps reducing rear reflections, I'm not sure. I've still not got the bass fully integrated so perhaps they'll move again before I've finished.

Overall I'm pleased to have them and they should last for as long as I need them so they're a good investment. No active bass and not particularly extended compared to the Summit, so I'll keep my REL Studio to fill in the bottom end.

Attachments

• 20231026_143713.JPG
    20231026_143713.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Presumably the white room divider-like thingies are the GIK panels. Are they designed to be absorbent at the edges? Whether they are or not, it's doubtful they're anything close to 100%. You're probably getting early reflections from them. You may find you get better imaging without them.

If I were you (and granted I've never listened in your room) I would try instead using the QRD's broadside, some distance behind them. The reflections from them would be stochastic, and late.

So you now have Ascents (not Ascent i's) you're not using? I'm in the same boat. One of these days I should get around to listing them here. Last time I listened to them they sounded just fine (though less loved than my CLS II's), but they're getting up in years and shipping them somewhere at a cost less than their actual value would be an issue, depending on where to.

You need to try two things with those panels, first put them behind your speakers on the front wall to pick up the rear wall reflections, I have classic 9’s in a smaller space and that made a huge difference in clarity and imaging. The other thing to try is putting them on the sidewalls to pick up first point reflections…I have GIK panels in both behind and beside my panels with excellent results in clarity and soundstage. / imaging.

Thanks for your suggestions, Leporello and Tmort.

I've tried putting the panels in various positions including between the speakers and the wall and I've not found the best place for them yet! One reason I placed them where they are now is because I'm not sure of the effect of any reflections off the REL on the right, but tests are inconclusive. I bought them to pick up first reflections and with the Ascents that made a difference. I will try them again behind the speakers and see.

Yes, I now have a pair of Ascents for sale. I have enjoyed them very much, but I don't have room for 2 pairs. I'm thinking I'll put them onto a Facebook UK hi-fi sales group but may try ebay too I guess. You're right that the cost of shipping is prohibitive so they'll have to be collection only. I also have a 47Lab Shigaraki phono amp to sell.

Latest posts

Back