Maggies for surrounds?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socialxray

Reaction score
Hello Gang!

The guy that actually turned me on to MLs was using Magnepans for surrounds. Since we only knew each other briefly and over the phone, I never got to hear his system.

Does anyone have any experience integrating Maggies as surrounds into a HT system with a Martin Logan front end?

The reason I ask is because I have cones speakers for surrounds right now. They are excellent for movies and noticeable for music. It doesn't ruin the experience and is actually acceptable (for me anyways) but it is noticeable. Of course one can never be satisfied so I am looking for cost effective ways to integrate the sound even further. Used MG 10.1s are pretty cheap when they are offered so I was thinking that they may do the trick.

Cannot comment on the Maggie mix with ML's - To me they are different sounding beasts - yet both from the planar world - so not sure how they would mix.

If you have the room you can pickup a used pair of Sequel's or SL3's for a good price. I believe Sequel's run around $1000 and SL3's around $1500 lately on Audiogon. Myself and Jeff Z both use Sequel's as surrounds, and others here use SL3's. If my mind is working right this morning on 1/2 a cup of coffee (BEWARE low coffee levels detected in user :eek: )....that Script's are a popular surround.

I am sure other will jump in with their recommendations...

Do to cost and unavailability for audition in my area, I am going to pull the trigger on Maggie MMGW surrounds for my ML setup. Sixty day trial period with return if you don't like em and cost $300 a pair! :)

Thanks for the replies so far!

Due to space limitations the best solution would be Aeriuses or Scripts but right now I can't swing a used pair because of finances. Plus the Scripts are pretty expensive and in my opinion ugly. (To all the Script owners, I apologize.) Although Sequels and SL3s are wonderful wonderful speakers they are just too big.

Attyonline please let me know how the MMGWs go.

attyonline said:
Do to cost and unavailability for audition in my area, I am going to pull the trigger on Maggie MMGW surrounds for my ML setup. Sixty day trial period with return if you don't like em and cost $300 a pair! :)
Please let us all know how you like them. I'd love to upgrade my surrounds, but don't have electrical outlets to power ESLs, so Maggies might be a good solution.

Tom.

Latest posts

Back