New (old as in Senior Citizen) Member from Chicago, IL area

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice one Garret, especially the Quad amp with the ESL55's and Thorens TT rig! That would have been some fine tunes!

Of course the ESL11A's are far head of that system but those were the real classic vintage days of home audio at its finest! Also had the famous Quad-II forty monoblocks driving the ESL63's. Later on switched over to CJ's classic tube designs, a marvelous combination with Quads.

Ah! The Bose 901's series VI, how can I ever forget those! I went all the way to Spore with my dad to purchase these from the Adelphi plaza. The Adelphi is like Audiophile heaven! Whenever I visit, I'll be there visiting all floors and all stores until they close all the doors! It's a darn funny thing because back then, I was still in junior high, and thought that the Bose 901's were the ultimate! We had them suspended from the ceiling using the 901 chain kit... It rocked the whole house! Pumping out tunes during hot days or rainy days, regardless, driven with a full array of Carver amps, it really kicked butt! Those days, I would just switch on the rig, pop in a CD and press play... and it worked! Never knew what the heck soundstage depth was... or imaging, scale of music, resolution, high definition, clarity, speed & inner details, who cared! Just play the damn CD man... was all we ever knew.
Uh! fast fwd that to nearly 4 decades and what a difference the audiophile world is! Now, whenever I visit the Adelphi, I tend to avoid the Bose store, although it's still there, same place same location! There are far too many other top class SOTA systems to listen to and learn from, so I tend to just camp in there for hours...

Great place btw if anyone was passing through Spore, The Adelphi, you won't be disappointed!
cheers, RJ

Very nice one Garret, especially the Quad amp with the ESL55's and Thorens TT rig! That would have been some fine tunes!

Of course the ESL11A's are far head of that system but those were the real classic vintage days of home audio at its finest! Also had the famous Quad-II forty monoblocks driving the ESL63's. Later on switched over to CJ's classic tube designs, a marvelous combination with Quads.

Ah! The Bose 901's series VI, how can I ever forget those! I went all the way to Spore with my dad to purchase these from the Adelphi plaza. The Adelphi is like Audiophile heaven! Whenever I visit, I'll be there visiting all floors and all stores until they close all the doors! It's a darn funny thing because back then, I was still in junior high, and thought that the Bose 901's were the ultimate! We had them suspended from the ceiling using the 901 chain kit... It rocked the whole house! Pumping out tunes during hot days or rainy days, regardless, driven with a full array of Carver amps, it really kicked butt! Those days, I would just switch on the rig, pop in a CD and press play... and it worked! Never knew what the heck soundstage depth was... or imaging, scale of music, resolution, high definition, clarity, speed & inner details, who cared! Just play the damn CD man... was all we ever knew.
Uh! fast fwd that to nearly 4 decades and what a difference the audiophile world is! Now, whenever I visit the Adelphi, I tend to avoid the Bose store, although it's still there, same place same location! There are far too many other top class SOTA systems to listen to and learn from, so I tend to just camp in there for hours...

Great place btw if anyone was passing through Spore, The Adelphi, you won't be disappointed!
cheers, RJ
yes the 901's were great if you had the right room. Surprised they even worked that good as most of the sound was reflected...lol. We have an audio store in Toronto that I bought most of my stereo stuff from. Audio Eden. Have a lot of used and demo articles. I just have to buy some aftermarket cables for the ESL's and that is about it. Have to save up for the new McIntosh DAC that just came out. Expensive hobby anymore...lol but I enjoy it.

Back