It's here!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice! But is it really going to be big enough to see from the desede chair you get for an early Christmas present?

Actually... it's a lot bigger than it looks. Like when you come in my room, all you see is the wall of LCD! HEhehehehe......

It's really worth it though... my eyes dont need to strain and I have a lot of space to enjoy 360 in 1080P HD!!!

Westinghouse 37 w3, 1080P 37" LCD..... I think it's a good deal for anyone interested in a non-videophile LCD. It's probably not as good as a Bravia or whatnot, but it's not as expensive and you get 1080P.

That's the worst chair I've ever seen!

Yes... it's flat and plastic!

I like the touch of the fish in the corners...:)

Peter

The fishies have bulging eye-balls... reminds me that hyperthyroidism have proptosis is a clinical sign!

Nice!!! Now you will need a BL player to see 1080P in all its glory. Comcast HD is not too bad. Good for watching the Bulls in the playoffs.

Yeah... I just might need to get a PS3 now...

Are you trying to talk me into more things to buy, Cherian??

Yes... it's flat and plastic!

The fishies have bulging eye-balls... reminds me that hyperthyroidism have proptosis is a clinical sign!

Yeah... I just might need to get a PS3 now...

Are you trying to talk me into more things to buy, Cherian??

Nice choice! *thumbsup*

You need a fish to remind you of that?! There are a lot of other signs too. Usually skinny as a rail too, loose stools (nice visual there huh?!), thin hair, the list goes on... Yea, I am not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, I just spend ALL DAY talking to them... mostly about asthma, migraine, and allergies... YMMV! Of course I guess you have a few hundred other maladies on your plate to keep in mind too! Big job, better you than me Joey!

Congrats on the screen! Looks good...AND BIG!!!

Thanks Charlie and James!

Well worth the price of admission! I've gotten used to surfing on it.. surfing on a regular 19" is a chore almost.

Thanks guys.... I'm still working on the chair.

Joey

... I've gotten used to surfing on it.. surfing on a regular 19" is a chore almost.
Do you mean channel surfing or web surfing on the internet? If its web surfing, I know exactly what you mean. Last year on a whim I picked up one of those Dell 24 inch monster displays on a special 24-hour sale price. I love it! Surfing the net just isn't the same on a smaller monitor. (Yes, Joey, size does matter. :D )

Do you mean channel surfing or web surfing on the internet? If its web surfing, I know exactly what you mean. Last year on a whim I picked up one of those Dell 24 inch monster displays on a special 24-hour sale price. I love it! Surfing the net just isn't the same on a smaller monitor. (Yes, Joey, size does matter. :D )

Heck yeah man... though I think that 37" is about as big as I can handle for nearfield business....

BUT the 24" is a monster as you know by now.... I've had that one and I'll gladly take it back if it wasn't for this 37" bad boy infront of me.

Ken... you've got good taste!

Joey

Thanks everybody!!!! :D :D :D

I'm enjoying this purchase tremendously! Finally, my system sorta looks a little more even.

Blu-Ray

Joey,

Pioneer is soon to release a roughly 300$ blu-ray player for the US. They have already released it in china, and we are soon to receive them. As I said before, this is sadly only a player, and more then likely a few weeks after its released there will be another model that also does burning, but for the time being, and with all of the Drm killers from doom9 you are sure to easily find a way to capture some blurays to a hd......

by the way, where did you end up getting the screen from? Bbuy? Ebay? Let me know....

I've been looking to build a 108" HD projected set up for the gf, but if this is drastically cheaper, maybe i'll just start small for her.... or maybe it will push me even more forward to an even crazier Hd projector!! :eek:

Newegg baby....

I got it when it was $999 with free shipping!

Joey :) :)

Cool!

What brand is it? Hope you can post a quick review, including its use for computer work, including word processing. Thanks!

Cool!

What brand is it? Hope you can post a quick review, including its use for computer work, including word processing. Thanks!

JFM,

Westinghouse 37w3 37" 1080P without a tuner:

At first glance, it's a majestic piece on top of my table - pretty much covering most of the wall between the Summits and towering to the bottom of my Maxxel poster. A closer look will afford you the ability to see crisp text and clear icons throughout the desktop. Word files look great. Pictures look great. Surfing the web is great.

You can do what I call: Dual surf. It is easy to adjust 2 windows side by side and surf with both windows, thereby cutting surfing time by a good percentage. Or you could have 2 Word documents in case you're trying to read one and type on another.

The beauty about this monitor, for PC uses, is the fact that everything is much more comfortable to view. The text of this post are literally 7mm tall... while on my 24" (with similar resolution of 1920x1200 vs this monitor's 1920x1080), the text was about 4mm tall. I find that from 3 feet away, it's a lot easier on my eyes and I can easily lean back into my chair and still read the pages displayed. It's real comfortable and you'll wonder why you've been using scrawny sized screens for so long! It took me about 2 days to get used to the size though... so YMMV.

Then, we have movies and games.... well, needless to say, this is where NO getting used to is needed! It's a slaughter from top to bottom, the Westinghouse is far better than my previous Dell 2405 24" LCD in this area. Bigger, brighter, better, more resolute at 1080P (the Dell could only scale up to 720P)! Absolutely no contest.

The frills and bells/whistles on this monitor are great too! It comes with a remote that actually serves a purpose (for once)! There's a button that they call "stretch" that allows for a mild 20% stretch of whatever is on the screen.... meaning since I watch a lot of Sopranos and Windows Media Player 9 does not allow for a complete full screen, I can use the "stretch" button to bring the Sopranos picture to enlarge just a wee bit more. Another good thing about the remote is that it has all the source buttons on the bottom, from S-Video to DVI2... and so it's real easy to switch between sources, say from my PC to my 360!

Lastly, I would like to mention that the Westinghouse has a LOT of fans. Not just me! There is a thread on [H]ard Forum, which is FAAR larger than any thread we've ever had on MLO.... standing at about 195 pages thus far and growing, about this monitor and this has garnered a lot of attention from the hardcore PC users over there. See link below:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1088497

It's definitely a proven PC monitor. It's a 3rd generation 37" LCD from Westinghouse (hence, w3) and it's a steal for what they're charging. It may not have the PQ of a Bravia.... but where else would you be able to find all of this, especially with a resolution of 1080P, for under $1K??

Rating:
Two Thumbs Up! Definitely the best PC related purchase I've done so far! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back