Storm Damaged Theos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogrub

Reaction score
We had a storm last week. We've had worse, but with this one it seems a surge event damaged a pair of Theos. The Stage-X center, wired to the exact same circuit and amplifier, seated directly between the damaged Theos, came fine.

After the storm, the electrostatic panels on both Theos were silent. The blue LED lights on both were also out. The cone woofers played normally, however, giving me some hope. I removed the AC power adapters from both speakers. I heard a rattle in one of them and knew that signaled an issue. Opened it up, and could see internal damage (including a fractured VIPer22 microchip). Opened up the second adapter and it had similar damage.

I called ML service and ordered replacement adapters. Plugged those in on arrival. The blue LED's came right on. Progress. Crossed my fingers and sent audio content. Both ESL's produced audible sound, but it was distorted. Scratchy is probably the best short description. A little bit like very bad AM reception on a very bad speaker. The sound is similar to what a JBL speaker did years ago when its crossover failed. Swapped in a new crossover and it fully solved the problem.

Reported those findings to ML service. Got a reply from Service saying maybe I should clean the panels. That seemed odd since I'd already sent in pictures of the damaged adapters and the storm event on the day both speakers stopped working. I asked specifically what next steps should be, and whether the crossover might be the cause. The response I got was:

It is most likely the internal power supplies that got taken out … or it is the panels themselves.

I had ben thinking that a failed power supply would most likely leave the panels silent, not still producing sound. But that response tells me I'm wrong. I'd also figured a failed crossover might still be on the diagnosis list. Sounds like that's wrong too.

Haven't been able to get anyone from ML on the phone to discuss. Does anybody with experience working on ML speakers have any thoughts? Thanks in advance. ✌️

Last edited:
Depending on what they are worth, you might want to file an insurance claim on it. That could be difficult though since they are old and hard to prove worth.

Thanks Robert. Unfortunately, the deductible in our coverage is so high for this type of loss that I'd have had to lose about 4 pairs of Theos to start getting any help from the insurer.

These are the damaged adapters.

Attachments

• IMG_6275.jpeg
    IMG_6275.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6283.jpeg
    IMG_6283.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What I should probably do next is disassemble one of these speakers and inspect the internal components and circuit boards for visible damage. Some guidance on disassembly would be helpful since I've never "gone in" on these before.

We have had members post circuit diagrams on here before. I think sometimes Martin Logan can provide them to you. Not sure if that might be helpful.

As far as communication with Martin Logan, the last time I needed them I had to do everything through email. The guy there for service, think his name is Ron, is very good and fast to respond through email. I bought some new panels for my Prodigy speakers. Try emailing him. He's at service.

Mogrub, I think you initially mentioned the speakers (and center) were plugged into a SurgeX protector, but you later edited that post and deleted the SurgeX reference. If you were in fact using a SurgeX protector, the damage might be covered under their 5 year connected equipment warranty... https://www.ametekesp.com/-/media/a...revision=3d3c4fda-981d-4c41-999c-74b5e2a6470f

BTW, I'm using a SurgeX XR315 for my Expressions and Motif center, and concerned it didn't offer sufficient protection for you. We have frequent thunderstorms and lightning strikes here (Tampa, FL) and I thought a SurgeX (like Zero Surge) provides the best protection. However, I also have a whole house "Zap Cap" device as the primary surge protector.

Mogrub, I think you initially mentioned the speakers (and center) were plugged into a SurgeX protector, but you later edited that post and deleted the SurgeX reference. If you were in fact using a SurgeX protector, the damage might be covered under their 5 year connected equipment warranty... https://www.ametekesp.com/-/media/a...revision=3d3c4fda-981d-4c41-999c-74b5e2a6470f

BTW, I'm using a SurgeX XR315 for my Expressions and Motif center, and concerned it didn't offer sufficient protection for you. We have frequent thunderstorms and lightning strikes here (Tampa, FL) and I thought a SurgeX (like Zero Surge) provides the best protection. However, I also have a whole house "Zap Cap" device as the primary surge protector.
Thanks Sleepy. The specific mention was of a Stage-X speaker. I did have the AVR and power amplifier that drove the Theos (actually, they drive all 13 speakers in a 7.2.4 set up) both connected to a UPS and surge suppressor. Never tripped and didn't help.

Thanks Sleepy. The specific mention was of a Stage-X speaker. I did have the AVR and power amplifier that drove the Theos (actually, they drive all 13 speakers in a 7.2.4 set up) both connected to a UPS and surge suppressor. Never tripped and didn't
Sorry. Guess I misread. Perhaps the surge protector you were using also has a connected equipment warranty.

We have had members post circuit diagrams on here before ... Ron is very good and fast to respond through ... try emailing him. He's at service.
Thanks Robert. Ron has been out most of the last two weeks. There is a younger person trying to help, super nice guy, but this surge issue with older speakers has not been easy for him. Appreciate him trying.

Sorry. Guess I misread. Perhaps the surge protector you were using also has a connected equipment warranty.
I'm certain they'd find a way to dodge coverage, if there is any, and don't want to drive myself nuts on that. But what will make me feel better is finding a way to fix these bad boys if possible. They are (more accurately, were) in pristine condition and both looked and, more importantly, sounded brand new.

I've written in to ask for disassembly instructions so that I can visualize the internals and go from there.

After a quick google search it looks like that speaker doesn't have a removable back panel like most. I'd pull the woofers out and see what's inside. I can't find any photo's of the guts of that speaker and I'm assuming it has power supply inside as well. See if it smells like burning electronics to start, if the guts are still good you can troubleshoot further.

Thanks Brandon. Ron is back and was a huge help. I've got multiple points of damage. No surprise. Need to make the decision whether to invest in replacement parts and give it a go or just upgrade to some newer ML's.

Some examples ...

Attachments

• IMG_6339.jpeg
    IMG_6339.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6344.jpeg
    IMG_6344.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6340.jpeg
    IMG_6340.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
After a quick google search it looks like that speaker doesn't have a removable back panel like most. I'd pull the woofers out and see what's inside. I can't find any photo's of the guts of that speaker and I'm assuming it has power supply inside as well. See if it smells like burning electronics to start, if the guts are still good you can troubleshoot further.

Thanks heaps for the help. Like you, I found it slim pickens out there for good imagery of the insides.

Does it seem/look like the panels are damaged? That's probably the single biggest factor in repair/replace decision...

Back