If you had to choose a NON planar speaker, what would it be?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MBL 101's! They will be here next week when me and the neighbor fly his A36 Bonanza out to Monroe, LA to pick them up! I can hardly wait!!!!!

If money was no object.... I think I would have to give the Krell LAT-1000's another listen. Then again, if money was no object, we would all have Statements!

Vandersteens

The Vandersteen Quatros and 5As are amazing speakers at a fraction of the cost of the competitors.

Among the speakers I've actually heard, Wilson Watt Puppy 7.

I'd love to hear the MBL 101E in an A/B/C test with the Wilsons and ML Summits.

Vandersteen Model 5's, Theil CS 3.7s, Wilson Sophias with the Wilsons at the top of the list by a hair.

I'd like to try some top of the line ELACs, or acapella (I really want to hear that plasma tweeter), MBLs, or a 7-8' tall DIY line array using Raven R1 tweeters and a matching (focal?) midrange/woofer. (or a dali megaline as a compromise :D )

I'd like to try some top of the line ELACs, or acapella (I really want to hear that plasma tweeter), MBLs, or a 7-8' tall DIY line array using Raven R1 tweeters and a matching (focal?) midrange/woofer. (or a dali megaline as a compromise :D )

That's the spirit Ian, some big Line Array's !

Maybe the Wisdom Audio Grande's, yeah that's the ticket. Oops, they're planar magnetic, oh well, no point sources for me, thanks.

I'm leaning more towards the Neo3-PDR - daytonRS180 right now (as a more budget line array) though I'd love to upgrade to the Scan-Speak 18W8531G - but it's $200/driver or the Seas Excel W18NX ($155/driveR) as opposed to $30 (for the RS180). Tall order distortion numbers on those first two puppies are phenomenal.

I think I'll do a 4 ft line array sometime soon. Already have the RS180s, just need to get the Neo3s and build the boxes.

Last edited:
My other speakers

I also have a pair of Michael Green's Chameleons...sound wonderful. they might not be as "pretty" as some but they sound better. Isn't that the main objective? Michael also designed my HT when I was doing a whole house remodel. Trackmaster's post lead me to his site...here is my HT and his speakers...well they used to be his;)

HERE

Oh boy ! After living with Magnepan, Carver Ribbons , 3 sets 1 with custom subs and separate x over. I like a few box speakers. I never would spend the $$$ on them.
I had a few sets of DCM time windows 1 and the 3 were great for a cone driven speaker. I did like the new Wilson Watt. (They are a bit overpriced for drivers you can get over the counter) but, they did go wide and deep. Dunlevy,.. big towers were good too. Its just a amp and system match. Cones are a bit easier on the ancillary equipment and easier to set up, you are not dealing with reflections as much and bass is very easy to achieve.

Kharma or Magico's stuff.

Or I'll take the Wilson Maxx II. :bowdown:

I would get me a pair of KEF 107/2 and add Technics Leaf tweeters to get hte last drop of performance, i got a pair of Technics EAS-10TH400 which i have kept in my stock for such usage ;)

Kharma or Magico's stuff.

Or I'll take the Wilson Maxx II. :bowdown:

Joey, that's at least the third different post you have made in this thread about which speakers you would want. That's a bad case of joeyitis when you are constantly upgrading even your hypothetical systems! :D

As for me, I am thinking Avant Garde Trios (with a good SET amp) or MBL 101e's (with MBL electronics). Or maybe just go ahead and get a pair of each. Yeah, that's the ticket. I've got to go now. Audiogon is calling.

Joey, that's at least the third different post you have made in this thread about which speakers you would want. That's a bad case of joeyitis when you are constantly upgrading even your hypothetical systems! :D

rofl...thats what I'd like too do as well

Last edited:
As for me, I am thinking Avant Garde Trios (with a good SET amp) or MBL 101e's (with MBL electronics). Or maybe just go ahead and get a pair of each. Yeah, that's the ticket. I've got to go now. Audiogon is calling.

Now you are talking Rich! Love it! Sign me up for the 101e's! I like my 101a's, but I would imagine the E's would be even better...probably more bass, but I have to say the A's are not bad at all! Oh, and only $52k for the E's! Heck, pocket change!

Back