If you had to choose a NON planar speaker, what would it be?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If money is no object I would buy:

Avalon Eidolon
Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 5
Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 9
Chario Ursa Major
Gradient Helsinki
JM Lab - Focal Micro Utopia
Kharma Exquisite Mini
Kharma Ceramique 2
Sigma Acoustics Ouverture
Sonus Faber Cremona M
Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento ... :music:

But very curious, saw that a bunch of you guys named Wilson as an alternative to your ML's. The Wilson stuff is about 180 degrees away from the ML sound. What is it that really turned your crank with the Wilsons that makes you interested?

Don't know.. but each time I auditioned the speaker, they always sounded good to me. Different, but good.

Legacy Whispers (EOM)

Legacy Whispers, Wilson Watt Puppies, Revel Ultima Salons , Nautilus 801s or 802s and thats really about it..

No wait, I forgot.. how about some really great Yahmaha's or anything from Radio Shack. Yeah!

Last edited:
If price were no object, I would seek out the Porzilli Pipedreams.

If they couldn't be found, I would get their latest "kin", the Scaena's.
I've never heard the Scaena's but they are Porzilli -designed and look very much like naked Pipedreams.

The Pipedreams are still the most "REAL" speaker/system I have ever heard. :bowdown: :band:

Ray, I'm totally with you.

Anyone who loves ML's has to like a line array, as they have many of the same qualities.

But the Scaena's will have killer mid-bass. Plus I like the looks much better the the older pipedreams.

Astoundingly_Entertaining.JPG

Neepers...
Or top of the line Wilson's if I ever go blind.
Or some top of the line Avantgardes and a really tasty esoteric high quality low powered 300B based tube amp if I remain sighted - probably a Border Patrol. Avantgardes shouldn't sound good, really. But they do! Amazing feat.

But to be honest, I'd like to give these suckers a good running in:D

http://www.apogeeacoustics.com/specialprojects.html

Ooops, it's a planar:eek:

If cost were no object...

I have heard of lot of box speakers that blew me away. But the bloom always faded. You won't call this speaker a cab in the morning.
I have not heard the latest version. My choice is large, expensive and made in a foreign country. I was going to say hideous but the latest version has transformed an ugly duckling into a swan.
But driven by 1250 watt VTL in large room, this is my choice. At $180k I'll never own it.
The envelope please.
http://www.grande-utopia-em.com/en/video.php
gregadd:cool:

Last edited:
I have heard of lot of box speakers that blew me away. But the bloom always faded. You won't call this speaker a cab in the morning.
I have not heard the latest version. My choice is large, expensive and made in a foreign country. I was going to say hideous but the latest version has transformed an ugly duckling into a swan.
But driven by 1250 watt VTL in large room, this is my choice. At $180k I'll never own it.
The envelope please.
http://www.grande-utopia-em.com/en/video.php
gregadd:cool:

We listened to these speakers a bunch at the RMAF. They were in a very large room powered by the big Boulder amps.

In a word: stunning.

Everyone really enjoyed them - we better considering a price tag north of 300k or 400k (!).

I would love to participate in an A/B test of the Utopias and CLX!

price tag

I take it the $300-400k includes price of Boulder amps or has there been a price increase?
gregadd

Last edited:
That was an estimate on the total pricetag of the electronics in the room. For all I know the total was closer to $1 million (!).

The speakers went for 180k and the boulder amps weren't cheap either. Timm (MiTT) posted a detailed review in his 2008 RMAF thread. I believe he lists the price tag of the individual components.

But to answer your question, yes, the number I quoted includes the amps - but that's just a rough guess.

Erik

That was an estimate on the total pricetag of the electronics in the room. For all I know the total was closer to $1 million (!).

The speakers went for 180k and the boulder amps weren't cheap either. Timm (MiTT) posted a detailed review in his 2008 RMAF thread. I believe he lists the price tag of the individual components.

But to answer your question, yes, the number I quoted includes the amps - but that's just a rough guess.

Erik

Right Erik, I had a couple of posts on that system starting here...

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showpost.php?p=83464&postcount=67

The speakers do retail for $180K. The system as whole that we listened to was well into the $500K range (I confirmed with John Barnes - owner of Audio Unlimited later). This was the best stereo system I have ever heard with my own ears.

Last edited:
don't get me wrong

As impressed as I am by the Focal JM, I believe the ML Statement e2 can more than hold its own against all comers. I might add with smaller room and a more modest supporting cast. I might actually get my hands on a used pair one day.
gregadd

I'm replacing my Theos with a pair of DALI Epicon 2s (room and wife limitations...), so I'll report back when they arrive in a few days. I heard a pair a few weeks ago and was blown away by their transparency and detail. If space and WAF weren't an issue, then I'd go for the Epicon 6 or 8.

Here are the 2s:

Dali_Epicon_2_Aufmacher_01.jpg

Wow….first post on this thread in almost four years, I guess we're all happy with our Logans. Actually, as I read back on this thread it's interesting to see all the folks who are no longer active on the forum, I'm assuming they have moved on in one form or another….different speakers or whatever.

I looked at my response (over eight years ago) and while I still like the latest version of the B&W 802D I must admit an 'itch' to go back to my planar roots……..Maggie. Love the current 3.7's. Got to listen to a pair driven by Parasound Halo JC-1's while I was back home for Thanksgiving. Without question, one of the best performance to dollar ratio I have ever experienced with respect to speaker/amp combination.

Wow….first post on this thread in almost four years, I guess we're all happy with our Logans. Actually, as I read back on this thread it's interesting to see all the folks who are no longer active on the forum, I'm assuming they have moved on in one form or another….different speakers or whatever.

I looked at my response (over eight years ago) and while I still like the latest version of the B&W 802D I must admit an 'itch' to go back to my planar roots……..Maggie. Love the current 3.7's. Got to listen to a pair driven by Parasound Halo JC-1's while I was back home for Thanksgiving. Without question, one of the best performance to dollar ratio I have ever experienced with respect to speaker/amp combination.
Dave. I too am smitten by the Maggies. I have heard the 3.7 and of course continue to drool over the thought of a 20.7. But as you may know, not many dealers have them. They offer some trip to their factory in minny but... Just want to hear them so I can linger some more and figure out ways to put the money together. :).

I'm surprised I never responded in this old thread. I don't remember it at all. I notice that there were quite a few Wilson Watt Puppy choices and am so very pleased that I went that route with my WP8s! One of my current favorites is the Wilson Alexia.

At first thought, it seems like it would be fun going to high-end audio salons to shop for some new speakers... Can any non-planar speaker sound open and airy like ML's?

Back