If cost were no object, what AV gear would you own?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And these mbl 101X speakers would be in one of my setups.

Attachments

• mbl 101X.jpg
    mbl 101X.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
That's the room I am talking about. It was the closest thing to live music I have ever heard.

I just don't care for the 101X model for some reason... I do like the woofer stack, though...kind of Statement E2 like I would say! Give me a set of 4, 5, or 7 101E models and one of those HUGE MBL amps you see on the floor w/ the X's for each 101 and I am HOME FREE! Maybe a top of the line Parasound for the HT modes, but full on MBL gear for 2 channel and SACD multi playback!

I just don't care for the 101X model for some reason... I do like the woofer stack, though...kind of Statement E2 like I would say! Give me a set of 4, 5, or 7 101E models and one of those HUGE MBL amps you see on the floor w/ the X's for each 101 and I am HOME FREE! Maybe a top of the line Parasound for the HT modes, but full on MBL gear for 2 channel and SACD multi playback!

Have you heard the X's?

And the speakers for the second audio system would be either the ML Statement E2, or the gryphon Poseidon.

Attachments

• gryphon Poseidon speaker.jpg
    gryphon Poseidon speaker.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 420
1st, the ultimate house with the ultimate listening space.

With that as a requirement for everything else...

ML Statement E2
Four Vantage surround speakers
a Summit/Line Array center channel ala Jonfo

A few Descent subwoofers, for each channel, plus 3 dedicated for the...

Lexicon MC-12HD (the HDMI one)
Powered by Sunfire Cinema Grand Signatures (I know this isn't the high of high end, but I've always loved these)

Source: Toshiba XA-20 for DVD, a Blue ray player. Xbox360, PS3, Wii. Dish 622 HD Receiver.

Full Fireball Escient DVD/Audio server with all my movies ripped to multi terrabyte setups

My good ole' Laserdisc player =D

A VCR for shits and grins.

Some super fancy remote control to tie it all together.

A Mac Mini because Macs are cool.

For the Video, a dual screen setup of a Da-lite Hipower and a Stewart Firehawk screen, both retractable, depending on how I feel.
All 2.35:1 aspect ratio of course.

Some anamorphic lens system on some ridiculously high end projector. I don't really like any of the projectors now, high end or otherwise, so I don't know which I'd choose. But like the RS1 or something. But there'd also have to be a slim line JVC 1080p D-ILA tv for when I don't feel like using the projector.

Two hidden 47" LCD or Plasma montiors for PIP or sports or whatever.

A set of normal $600 BestBuy surround speakers, wired in such a way I could A/B demo why I spent this ridiculous amount of money and that the Bose system or whatever "doesn't sound exactly the same".

Probably have some IScan higher end video scalar too. All the assorted cables/switches/etc (not a cable snob, so no need for the esoteric cables - just nice looking ones.)

I think that would just about cover it for me!

-Allen

I have to be honest with you; I'm not certain the incremental change from my wonderful summits would be worth it to me. (I know, I know, money no object. But I'm trying to be honest here.)

However, I would absolutely go for a custom designed listening room. I've come to the conclusion that's the most important part of a good system.

1st, the ultimate house with the ultimate listening space.

With that as a requirement for everything else...

ML Statement E2
Four Vantage surround speakers
a Summit/Line Array center channel ala Jonfo

A few Descent subwoofers, for each channel, plus 3 dedicated for the...

Lexicon MC-12HD (the HDMI one)
Powered by Sunfire Cinema Grand Signatures (I know this isn't the high of high end, but I've always loved these)

Source: Toshiba XA-20 for DVD, a Blue ray player. Xbox360, PS3, Wii. Dish 622 HD Receiver.

Full Fireball Escient DVD/Audio server with all my movies ripped to multi terrabyte setups

My good ole' Laserdisc player =D

A VCR for shits and grins.

Some super fancy remote control to tie it all together.

A Mac Mini because Macs are cool.

For the Video, a dual screen setup of a Da-lite Hipower and a Stewart Firehawk screen, both retractable, depending on how I feel.
All 2.35:1 aspect ratio of course.

Some anamorphic lens system on some ridiculously high end projector. I don't really like any of the projectors now, high end or otherwise, so I don't know which I'd choose. But like the RS1 or something. But there'd also have to be a slim line JVC 1080p D-ILA tv for when I don't feel like using the projector.

Two hidden 47" LCD or Plasma montiors for PIP or sports or whatever.

A set of normal $600 BestBuy surround speakers, wired in such a way I could A/B demo why I spent this ridiculous amount of money and that the Bose system or whatever "doesn't sound exactly the same".

Probably have some IScan higher end video scalar too. All the assorted cables/switches/etc (not a cable snob, so no need for the esoteric cables - just nice looking ones.)

I think that would just about cover it for me!

-Allen

Allen from about the "source" down to the 47" LCD's I agree w/ you! I especially like the dual roll down screens! that is a GREAT idea! This is money no object, so why not go w/ the 65"+ LCD's that are out there? Come on now, don't hold back. As for the projector, Sony has a new one out (it is a pro model though) that is just UNREAL! About $250k for the projector and $40k for the lens! YEOW! I have seen a picture of it projected onto a screen (2.35 width screen mind you) that was 8' TALL! I was what 23' wide?! CRAZY! Looked awesome. Can even be set up to project 4 different images on the same screen! AMAZING!

I really like Runco's new Cinewide technology. Its ability to completely get rid of the black bars with no loss of picture or resolution is simply amazing. It's been receiving some rave reviews.

Runco's Signature Cinema SC-1 front projector with Autoscope lens system and Cinewide would do me just fine.:D

Attachments

• Runco SC-1.jpg
    Runco SC-1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Now as far as the source components for the dedicated HT, well that's a tough one. Right now the best Blu-ray player that will soon be available is Denon's $2000 3800BDCI Blu-ray Player. As far as HD DVD goes, since I already own the current top player (Toshiba HD-XA2), there's no need on replacing it. Unless the new Meridian smokes it.

Attachments

• Denon Blu-ray front.jpg
    Denon Blu-ray front.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 241
Cost no object, humm... I'd definetly get this:

--- ;) ---

Last edited:
As for the speaker system in the dedicated theater, these would be my ultimate.

CAT MBX

Attachments

• CAT MBX.jpg
    CAT MBX.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 237
The Denon AVP-A1HD is going to be phenomenal, and with all it's features and connectivity options, even the highest of the high end won't do everything that the Denon will. But features and connectivity aside, for the absolute best of the best in sound, I think it's going to be hard to beat the Mark Levinson No. 40 Media Console. But I do think the AVP-A1HD will be a close second. So for my cost no object AV controller, the No. 40 is my pick.

Attachments

• mark-levinson-no-40-ssp-front.jpg
    mark-levinson-no-40-ssp-front.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 239
Cost no object, humm... I'd definetly get this:

--- ;) ---
That looks EERILY familiar... :D

I said in my previous post that the main thing I'd want was the room to put it in, and I just decided on that room.

Imax.jpg

Though with less seats and a much bigger bar. :-D

We know that this thread is all about dream gear that we would love to own. But what's really amazing is that some of the members of this club actually own some of the stuff we've covered. How cool is that! I know one thing, I am soooo jealous!:)

Seth

That looks EERILY familiar... :D

Hehe, wondered if someone would notice, glad you did :devil:

So, seriously, what would I do if no financial constraints (but will assume I keep my custom room and Infinite Baffle sub)?

Sources:

Update to latest HD-DVD model the Toshiba XA2
Add new Denon Blue-Ray listed above (3800?) (will happen ayway)
Add Meridian HD-DVD / DVD-A player when released

Pre-Processor

Update to the Meridian from a 568 to an 861 (gain no new features really, even DRC is already covered) Just like the big, expandable box. Assume they have an HDMI input card soon that supports the 8ch PCM streams.

Consolidate the front DriveRacks to a 4800 model (newer, higher-rez, but same functions). Move one DriveRack to rear duties.

Amps

Tough one, as I already have 15 channels and more than enough power. But I might obtain one of each of the ‘recommended’ amps elsewhere in the thread and see if they really can best the Sunfires. And by best, I mean they actually measure and sound better. Some of those things are really expensive tone controls or just flat lack current delivery at low impedance. They might work OK on dynamic speaks, but on electrostats, hmmmm.
Maybe check out the Innersound line of amps designed for ESL duties http://www.innersound.net/dpramplifiers.html

Speakers

Add mid-bass line-array to Monoliths, thereby creating the “Mondolith” ;)
Not kidding, this one is in the works, stay tuned.

Room

More acoustic treatments and more snazzy artwork.
Replace current couch with Ekornes 3 seat couch

That's about it...

Speakers

Add mid-bass line-array to Monoliths, thereby creating the “Mondolith” ;)
Not kidding, this one is in the works, stay tuned.

Wow! I can only imagine what that's going to sound like (and look like). Once you get it completed, I'm looking forward to seeing some pix of those Mondoliths.

Seth

Back