Has anyone heard the Sonus Faber Concertino Domus?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Has anyone here heard the Concertino Domus bookshelf? The reason I ask is because I want a true PC speaker and was looking at a bookshelf.. it wont be long before I move the Summits to their rightful place outside my bedroom and into a living room. Though the SF will be camped by the PC, I will still use it critically but I am not going to hold it to the same barometer that I subject the Summits to. I am about to hand over the Minis to my father... so I want some PC speakers.

I saw a pair on audiogon for about $1700.... been talking to the guy.

But something in me says that the Cremona Auditor is where it's at (about $2900 used), but it's costly and will be a slow acquisition... and will certainly hinder any upgrades I will be doing for the main system, i.e. TT will be delayed and whatnot.

I dunno... I just want something nice and soothing... I'm too used to having 2 speakers for randomness.

Joey

Concertino Domus
1178229690.jpg

1178229691.jpg

vs
Cremona Auditor
uid401_86b67d67326e9267ec82180a297ec34b.jpg

uid401_4910fae26af1c332dc579a5b5d57718f.jpg

Last edited:
No - I haven't heard it, but I believe it is fantastic!

I have heard the ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signature and the Audio Physic "Step" - both are fantastic! I'm not sure the Audio Physic would be "nice and smoothing" though - they are very lean and fast - just like 'stats!!

Attachments

• proac-tablet-ref8-sig-300.jpg
    proac-tablet-ref8-sig-300.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 5,577
  • step3-cherry-pair.jpg
    step3-cherry-pair.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 3,988
The reason I ask is because I want a true PC speaker and was looking at a bookshelf.. it wont be long before I move the Summits to their rightful place outside my bedroom and into a living room. Though the SF will be camped by the PC, I will still use it critically but I am not going to hold it to the same barometer that I subject the Summits to. I am about to hand over the Minis to my father... so I want some PC speakers.

I saw a pair on audiogon for about $1700....

Joey, have you thought about some killer headphones + headphone amp instead ? With $1700 you can get a wonderful setup...and when you are in front of the PC, IMHO cans are a better experience...

Joey, have you thought about some killer headphones + headphone amp instead ? With $1700 you can get a wonderful setup...and when you are in front of the PC, IMHO cans are a better experience...

Already did that Lugano... had the Sennheiser HD650 and an $800 HeadAmp GS-1 Class A headphone amp. That was a $1200 setup....

I thought about it again.. but nah...

My vote is for the auditors. From a design perspective, the drivers they use are better than any of the other options listed. I'm in love with that revelator woofer. I haven't heard any of them, though...so can't speak for how they all sound...crossover design is an important piece (so is cabinet design, but with the rounded backs they appear to have that well in hand) $2900 used for something with $1000 in driver cost appears to be a real value in high end audio these days.

Also check out elac.com...I've heard amazing things about their jet tweeters.

The look interesting for sure...but I've got to wonder about the crossover point of the sub...I can't imagine those satellites handling anything below about 500 Hz (and even that seems like a bit of a stretch) ... but I know nothing about the tech...so I dunno.

The look interesting for sure...but I've got to wonder about the crossover point of the sub...I can't imagine those satellites handling anything below about 500 Hz (and even that seems like a bit of a stretch) ... but I know nothing about the tech...so I dunno.

Your out of control with the measurements. Just hook it up and listen...it's a computer.

:D Excess in everything I do. That's my motto!

Since I will never hear those 'puter speakers...I can only speculate on the design. If I had my choice, I'd hear them for sure! Till then, it's speculation, and measurment...and more speculation.

:D Excess in everything I do. That's my motto!

Since I will never hear those 'puter speakers...I can only speculate on the design. If I had my choice, I'd hear them for sure! Till then, it's speculation, and measurment...and more speculation.

WANKER!

:D

had the Sennheiser HD650

How were these headphones in the comfort department? I need to pick up some decent headphones for work eventually, but they'll be worn most of the day so comfort is a bigger priority than sound.

Hi,

FWIW, the Auditors are very resolving and rather unforgiving speakers and are pretty fussy about positioning. I haven't heard the Domus babies but from their rank in the SF product line I'd guess they're a little easier to match and to set up and they might do just was well for your purposes. So might some of the fuller-sounding UK mini-monitors -- the ProAcs, as already mentioned -- but the little Quad 11/12s would be contenders and at a much lower price.

best,

k

True, for something more "relaxed" you may want to go with a soft dome tweeter as opposed to a ribbon/ring radiator/planar tweeter.

There's a whole lot of people who, unlike many of us, start their work day in front of a couple of speakers. They make a living out of it, and the result of their work is what we feed into our CD players. These people are sound engineers and the speakers they use are called nearfield monitors. No fancy bubinga wood used for the cabinet, but pretty goddamn good sound. Usually in the $1000 - $1500 range. Maybe one should ponder, when drolling at the looks, if there's life beyond that or not. If there's sound and music deserving more attention than it gets. These guys don't use $10/inch cables. These guys brought things like the Benchmark DAC into our nutty audiophile world. One might seriously wonder who the wank0rz are.

Last edited:
Joey,

Take a look at the Magnepan MMG-W. You can mount them on the wall and they do sound very, very good for $299.00. I owned a set and had it in the bedroom and then my friend listened to them and wanted to buy them on the spot, so I sold it to him.

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMGW

Thanks for all the tips fellas... will sit here and think about my options. This will be a while...

Joey :)

Latest posts

Back