Not by design! But thankyou serendipity.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stng.ml

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

A short note to explain how I stumbled into the Martin Logan world and just to say hello.

I've been happy with my audio system (it doubles as my home theatre setup as well) since I bought it about 15 years ago. I'm not one of those who chases the rainbow's end, as you can see. Anyway, in the last couple of years I've moved more and more towards streaming as my source process, and last year I made the full commitment. I transferred all my CDs to a NAS and used an Apple TV 2 to stream the music to my amplifier. The convenience! The fun of wandering throw my albums from the lounge chair using my iPad! So I decided to buy my first new piece of audio: a network streamer.

I listened, and listened, and read, and listened some more. At the end I decided on an Akurate DSM. All I needed was to save for a few months. Then disaster. At an auditionin session along to which I'd taken my speakers and amp, I discovered a dead speaker driver. Just my luck. No more streamer until I either fixed or replaced the speakers.

I was at the dealer for a demo of a streamer in my system, so I decided to take the opportunity to listen to speakers instead. The streamer I was listening to was the Naim ND5XS. I paired it with some Neat Momentum 3i, the floorstanders with the Isobarik bass drivers, and enjoyed the music. I wrote in my listening notes 'detailed, foot tapping, not completely transplant, slightly bright top end, good imaging and vocals, exciting'.

Then I paired it with the next Neat Momentum model, the 4: 'detailed, very wide but flat sound stage, very tight and extended bass, good vocals, tight imaging, real presence and transparency'.

Are that, I tried a pair of Sonus Faber bookshelfs: 'less bass extension, great imaging, more musical, sweeter in the top end, great violins, emotionally more engaging (but only just), no veil'.

Then I noticed a pair of MLs. The dealer said they were an ok match for the Naim gear, but I wanted to hear them anyway and so he shrugged and put them in for me. He pointed out that they weren't as punchy or exciting as the Neats, but that they were the best ML had produce din terms of bass-panel integration. He connected them, handed me the remote, and left me to listen.

On went some Liszt, then Beethoven's violin and 5th piano concerto. Gould playing the Goldberg Aria. Holst's Jupiter and Mars. Alison Krauss and the Union Station. Astrid Gilberto. Adele. Jackson Browne's Load Out (live). Patricia Barber. The National's Bloodbuzz Ohio. Arcade Fire's Sprawl.

Something clicked from the very first note of Liszt. It wasn't the soundstage (that was wide and deep but the others had been pretty damn good too) or the imaging (sharp) or the taught bass (honestly the Neats were more taught). It wasn't the bass extension, or the sweet top end (the Sonus Fabers were just as sweet and probably crisper). It wasn't the sheer pace or sense of rhythm. It wasn't anything that the magazines describe. I just feel in love. My heart swelled. I had tears in my eyes and jive in my limbs. I was covered in goosebumps with every musical turn.

When the dealer came back in, I remarked in slightly breathless words that I wasn't sure why he wasn't so fussed with the speakers, but that they'd moved me like no speakers ever had before (and I've listened to plenty).

I changed to another amp, and then tried a CD player. Maybe it was an uncanny combination of kit. No. It didn't really matter. It was still sublime.

And so now I'm hooked.

The speakers were Martin Logan Electromotion ESLs.

All that remains for me to do is to decided whether I should stump up for the ML Theos...

Simon

Great 'short' note. Thanks for sharing. I felt the same when I auditioned the Ethos vs BW 801D. Go for the Theos if your budget allows. You won't regret at all.

Great 'short' note. Thanks for sharing. I felt the same when I auditioned the Ethos vs BW 801D. Go for the Theos if your budget allows. You won't regret at all.

+1

Welcome... and yes, buy up into the ML line as far as you can afford, because there's only now.

Thanks guys for the kind words.

I can now say that I've officially joined the club, having just purchased a pair of Theos speakers in Dark Cherry. I would have liked the Zebra wood, but not for the AUD700 premium. I've matched it with a Linn Majik DS.

Now I get to wait.

Bliss...

Simon

Back