If Not Logans...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gordon,

Told you they were good;)

Bit surprised about the excessive bass issue, TBH, as Jerry's sound pretty well balanced. Maybe that is the difference between the E and the F? Or just a room matching thing.

Anyway, yes, they are far less fussy off axis for obvious reasons.

Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles:rocker:

Justin

BTW and FWIW, I really liked Jerry's MBLs with a Graaf 5050. I thought it a really good match. So if you ever feel like dabbling in tubes, that'd be a place to start. You don't strike me as a tube kind of a guy, though.

Justin,

As you are aware, the 116's have side firing woofers. On each side of the speaker, I have this area that's somewhat blocked in by furniture, a TV, and my gas stove. My sense is that some of the low end radiation gets in there and just sits. Ugh! Wasn't an issue with the Summits.

I'm confident that the other two traps will take care of it. I will put those in the back corners and put my other two ATS panels opposite the outside woofer modules (36" +/- separation from driver to panel) to prevent or attenuate the "cavity loading" I'm currently experiencing.

Gordon

Thanks for the kind words. WAF is not a factor but I had to get my dog's OK before making the switch. After several heated discussions (woof woof), Dude (my dog) finally agreed to part with the Summits.

Not much to dislike about the 116's.

To respond to Todd's question, they have less energy up top and substantially more in the mid / deep bass. I would call it generally a "darker" sound with no hint of any loss of detail / information. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Cleaner highs, more liquid mids, and a much more substantial low end. I've ordered a couple more bass traps to tame the new beast. The apparent size / clarity of the sound stage and three dimensionality thereof has increased substantially.

Then there's the omni tweeter and mid range pods. As some of you may know, I've never been a "gotta sit in the sweet spot" kinda guy. In fact, I do more listening in my recliner located slightly right of the right speaker than I do in the center spot. So for me, the 360 degree radiation pattern of these two drivers is a major plus. Off axis listening isn't really off axis anymore. No more frequency / imaging anomalies. A bit strange to get used to but once you do, you may enjoy it as much as I do.

To sum it all up, a more cohesive, balanced, enjoyable musical experience. More closely resembles the natural openness and acoustics that one hears in live music.

It's a shame I never had the chance to set the Summits up in a larger room and I've always felt that I never really heard their true measure.

Having said that, it's been a good twenty some years with various ML products and I am still convinced that, given the correct room, setup, and equipment, they represent a substantial (perhaps unbeatable) value from a price / point perspective.

GG

Congrats Gordon!

There's only problem, it didn't happen if you can't produce the pics.

Jason,

It really did. One must use the audiophile Jedi visualization technique.

Deep breaths, a couple of drinks, slowly closing your eyes, and voila!

Good to hear from you.

Gordon

Congrats! So I have to ask - the wife is OK with the MBL's aesthetics? Wasn't that part of the decision making process as well? Did the MBLs end up in the bedroom or other? (hope I'm remembering things right).

Thanks

That, alongwith non sweet spot listening, was a huge part of the decision making.

Simply put - I thought the MBLs were impeccably finished, uniquely modern looking, very Star-wars-ish - and therefore absolutely beautiful. She thought they were impeccably finished, uniquely modern looking, Star wars transplants and absolutely hideous. I tried to convince her that the hideous often changes into the beautiful with time (e.g. a butterfly; her own impressions of me from as we evolved our relationship :). But ultimately she gave the go ahead, thinks they hide their ugliness well because of the finish and the style, but the sound is spectcualr and I am happy so she is happy. Even the ugly cable TV sound is better

To respond to Todd's question, they have less energy up top and substantially more in the mid / deep bass. I would call it generally a "darker" sound with no hint of any loss of detail / information. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Cleaner highs, more liquid mids, and a much more substantial low end. I've ordered a couple more bass traps to tame the new beast. The apparent size / clarity of the sound stage and three dimensionality thereof has increased substantially.

Having said that, it's been a good twenty some years with various ML products and I am still convinced that, given the correct room, setup, and equipment, they represent a substantial (perhaps unbeatable) value from a price / point perspective.

GG

I've now had both the Summits and the MBL 111e's for about a week. Alas not in the same room. I wanted to do that but my wife reminded me that I am not a reviewer and the ability to have the UPS delivery guys move the 400+ pound crate of MBLs to their final location was too much to pass.

Dramatic is the only way I can explain the MBL sound.

I have listened to 50+ CDs, many of them playing simulataneoulsy on the Summits and the MBLs in different rooms (via my Sonos multi room system). System has been on essentially non stop for the last week :music:

Agree with Gordon's summary.

The Summit and MBL sound has many common elements such as the way they both disappear to the room, the "wall of sound" they create, and the clean, transparent sound of both. These are probably the two most transparent speakers I have personally heard.

But they are also very different. On a hypothetical 1-10 scale, I would say the MBLs are ~a few points points better than Summits in deeper/tighter Bass (which for me was the biggest difference). They are also a notch more clear on the highs. I finally figured out what the reviewers meant when they say that Summits roll off highs. I thought the Summits were perfect till listening to the same songs on them and the 111es. the MBLs are a tad more "syrupy" yet sharp in the mids. On off-sweet spot clarity, they are in a different league since that is a Summit weakness and a phenomenal strength of these MBLs.

The one area where I personally think the Summits are superior is in disappearing into space and leaving behind a wall of sound. I checked this multiple times. But I felt that the Summits are still the leaders in that mythical "where is the middle speaker", and "where are the speakers" optical/auditory illusions that they create. I find that I cannot pin point the speaker location at all when I close my eyes with the Summits. In the MBLs, maybe ~2-3% more energy still comes from the physical location of the speaker than from the overall soundstage. This has become better after I tinkered with the placement and may get better when I get the rack out of the middle. The Sumits have nothing between them (or very little) whereas the MBLs have a rack

Overall, wide-eyed, wide-eared and really enjoying this journey. I can walk around ANYWHERE in my large bedroom, the image and quality of sound remains virtually the same and it almost starts to feel like Coldplay or Mozart or Diana Krall or Sarah Mclachlan or Nora Jones are in the room....with no bad seats in the house

One other critical area. They are perhaps the best at low volumes I have ever heard. That was a surprise to me given their 83db sensitivity. I have to listen to most speakers at at least 80-85 db to engage in the sound but I am finding that even at 70 db, the MBLs engage you. And at very loud 100+db, they don't want to make you scream. sometimes you have to do a double take on the db meter that, yes, it is 100+ but it doesnt sound like screaming.

Overall, loving the fact that I can listen to these two marvellous presentations albeit in separate rooms with separate electronics. I daresay many electrostat/planar lovers such as me/Gordon will find that they capture the magic of that technology while bridinging the gaps

My summary would be that the MBL 111es overall present a more live, real, engaging sound - but they are also 3x the price of Summits. Comparing them to CLXs mated with a coupls JLAs - now that would be fair and fairly stupendous showdown :rocker:

After 6 months of listening, I come to the conclusion that at ~$10k retail new, in the right room if a broad sweet spot is not needed, I think the Summits remain my favorite speakers with the Maggies a close second.

But at $10-15k used, even $20k used, the MBLs are almost unfairly good sound creators leaving everything I heard from Ushers to Focals to Wilson's to SonusFaber far, far behind.

One other critical area. They are perhaps the best at low volumes I have ever heard. That was a surprise to me given their 83db sensitivity. I have to listen to most speakers at at least 80-85 db to engage in the sound but I am finding that even at 70 db, the MBLs engage you. And at very loud 100+db, they don't want to make you scream. sometimes you have to do a double take on the db meter that, yes, it is 100+ but it doesnt sound like screaming.

True of 116F's as well. Definately a strongpoint and an ML weakpoint, if you don't mind me saying. My Apogees are quite a bit better than MLs in this area, too, though not quite as good as the MBLs.

I'd still take my Duetta Sigs over the 116Fs, though.

GTT Audio, the place I bought my 116's, has an unopened pair of 111F's (current model) on the gon for $17K.

I assume they would come with full warranty and Bill was great to work with.

GG

But at $10-15k used, even $20k used, the MBLs are almost unfairly good sound creators leaving everything I heard from Ushers to Focals to Wilson's to SonusFaber far, far behind.

Yeah, those Wilsons sound like crap. Who in their right mind would buy those?:rolleyes:

Hi Steve,

That's the potential downside about these type threads. People express opinions (well intentioned, I trust, but based on their personal experiences) and it can upset others with a different perspective.

I'm confident that your WP8's sound amazing and believe adanny did not mean to upset you or others that own the Wilson product. Wilson's success speaks for itself.

What this type of thread does, for me, is to again highlight the subjectivity inherent to this crazy hobby and the importance of not making generalizations about any reputable product.

As we all know, it's all in the details.

Gordon

Yeah, those Wilsons sound like crap. Who in their right mind would buy those?:rolleyes:

Apologies - I gushed too much.

I am tempted to give the "well, thats what I heard" argument but the reality is that no speaker in this range really gets left "far-far-behind". MLs, Maggies, Wilsons, MBLs, Ushers, Nolas, YGs et al are all premier/major league players - some perform better on their day (i.e. depending on how they are run), on different pitches (i.e. the room). And even in identical situations, arguments about whether Pele was better than Maradona was better than Cryuff in flow abound to this day (If american, substitute Montana, Staubach, Favre, Brady in statement above. or, substitute any one of several distinctive speakers)

In other words, please don't read too much into my statement, nor am I an expert on any of this by any stretch.

Nah- let it fly. I mean many of us don't have the shops around us to even attempt what you did. I don't mind anyone giving a strong opinion. I can only imagine and good strong opinions help.

The reviews of Mbls pretty much state what you are expressing as does their design. Glad it worked out. So is your bedroom going to be your main listening room now? What do you do if the wife starts getting rrrrrranndy? If you know what I mean? Say no more...Say no more. :)

but the reality is that no speaker in this range really gets left "far-far-behind". MLs, Maggies, Wilsons, MBLs, Ushers, Nolas, YGs et al are all premier/major league players - some perform better on their day (i.e. depending on how they are run), on different pitches (i.e. the room).

Now ya got it. As I walked the halls of CES this year I kept saying... "So much great sounding equipment and not enough rooms in my home." That's part of what makes this hobby fun.

Regards,
Gary

Hey, no problem guys. I understand the new buyer "in love" syndrome! It's difficult to not gush over a new speaker. When I first heard my Wilsons in my listening room I couldn't believe how good they were and couldn't wipe the grin off my face. Like Gary says, there are many great sounding speakers. At RMAF I heard and loved the music coming from quite a few different brands of speakers. Heck, I couldn't afford to buy what I really thought was "the best", well maybe I could, but then I'd have serious spousal problems! :eek:

Probably these that I heard at the 2008 and 2009 RMAF...
http://www.grande-utopia-em.com/en/video.php

Although these, that I have listened to for a few hours at ne plus ultra, would be on that very short list...
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/wilson_audio_specialties_maxx_series_3_loudspeaker

Those are great choices. I spent a couple of hours listening to the Wilson Alexandria X-2's ($133,000). I thought they were the best Wilsons that I have heard. I'll add the Tad references and the YG ANAT Reference II to the Alexandria X-2's and the Grande Utopia and you'll have 4 of my top 5.

Gary

Agree with Steve. Also heard the Utopias at 2009 RMAF. They are huge but they totally disappear. Phenomenal speaker.

I also agree with Gary's recommend on the YG Anat Ref 2's, which I also heard at the same show and just recently heard again at GTT Audio. One can only wonder what their new in house aluminum drivers will do for the performance.

GG

Hello,
When I switch Speakers, it will either be Focals. Thiels, Dynaudios, TAD's, or Nautilus Level B&W's.

Beryillum Tweetered Focals are the most likely switch I would make. Given the recent direction of ML, I am afraid this is coming sooner than later.
I do have an extra pair of Panels for my Vantages which makes me want to keep them, but I really am impressed with Focals BE Speakers. My Brother has 1038 BE's driven by Rogue Audio Tube Monoblocks and a Rockport Turntable for his 2 Channel Rig and it is Heavenly. He does have a dual Ascent i, Theater i, Descent i 5.1 HT as well.
Cheers,
JJ

I actually traded my ML speakers for Focals with BE tweeters. Six months later they went back to the store and the Summits came home. Once hooked..... I've traded out the electronics periodically but the speakers stay even though my wife would like something smaller. I'm deathly afraid of losing the magic again.

I don't think ANY box speaker can compete with electrostatics for sound staging and the ability to reproduce the macro and micro dynamics of music we all appreciate. Good alternatives would be a pair of the larger Maggies or perhaps a pair of Klipschorns or Belle/La Scalas from the Klipsch Heritage range.

Back