If Not Logans...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sanders' speakers are really something else. When I was at the RMAF, I only re-visited a handful of rooms, one of them was Sanders. With 200+ rooms stocked floor to ceiling with high end gear, you need to spend your time wisely (assuming you want to see/listen to as much as reasonably possible). Roger played a track that had percussion instruments and I remember being really impressed with the bass. They are outstanding and I would recommend (to anyone) giving them a serious audition if you have the time and interest.

A ways back, there was a comparison between ML and Sanders.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8063&highlight=sanders

Hocky,

As I'm sure you know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I too really enjoyed the Sanders product but, as I've stated previously, the narrow sweet spot is something I personally could not live with.

I'm currently exploring the exact opposite presentation, that being the MBL 116. Nowhere near as attractive as the Summit, in fact quite industrial looking, but .....

GG

They're just so ugly. :-(

Which is exactly what a good many people on this forum said about both the Summit and the CLX when they were first introduced.

Personally, I think the Summits look fine, but compromise sound quality for the WAF factor. And the CLX, well, it looks a little strange and is pretty overpowering in a room.

Have you seen Roger's speakers in person? They're really not that bad looking.

I too really enjoyed the Sanders product but, as I've stated previously, the narrow sweet spot is something I personally could not live with.

Gordon, I'm a little surprised about this statement, given your setup. You have only one chair facing your speakers, situated in the sweet spot, do you not? How could it be a problem?

As I have said before, honestly I don't think Sanders speakers sound any worse off-axis than ML's. It is just that they sound so much better in the sweet spot that you really notice the difference.

Have you seen Roger's speakers in person? They're really not that bad looking.

No, unfortunately, I have not. Hopefully I will come across a pair some time because I definitely would like to hear them.

Rich,

Actually I spend more time listening in the recliner (to the right of the right speaker) than I do in the center Ekorness chair.

Don't get me wrong, I think Roger makes an outstanding product (and I wish him and Angela every success) but ever since I heard my first MBL, which was probably 10 years or so ago at CES, I have always dreamed of owning a pair. The last two visits to RMAF have certainly reinforced this feeling.

Who knows. I'll have my reality check on the 30th.

Hope you and family have a wonderful holiday.

Gordon

. . . but ever since I heard my first MBL, which was probably 10 years or so ago at CES, I have always dreamed of owning a pair. The last two visits to RMAF have certainly reinforced this feeling.

Who knows. I'll have my reality check on the 30th.

Can't argue with that. The MBL's are great speakers. I would love to own a pair myself. I was also really impressed with the German Physics, which are a similar design.

Well if was going to go for a different pair of speakers, I must admit I'd order a pair of Synergy's from Graz. That's a cool $30,000+ gone, though - at least if I couldn't negotiate better terms...:D Realistically, I won't allow myself to spend that much on speakers, though.

I expect the chances of me ever hearing Mr Sander's efforts are about zero over here. Shame - I'm fairly curious.

Last edited:
I expect the chances of me ever hearing Mr Sander's efforts are about zero over here. Shame - I'm fairly curious.

Justin, why not try to make the trip over for RMAF one year? It's a great show, and you could enjoy a little sight-seeing in one of America's most beautiful States.

Justin, why not try to make the trip over for RMAF one year? It's a great show, and you could enjoy a little sight-seeing in one of America's most beautiful States.

I'll make it one year when the $$$ isn't terrible at this end. Dubai won this last year.

Here's one of the Burj Khalifa. It's tall. The tallest, in fact.

Attachments

• burj.jpg
    burj.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 311
They're just so ugly. :-(

I kinda agree too.

The panel part looks real nice, but the woofer enclosure, meh...But, I think in person my opinion might change. On their website they show the "local artisan" who makes the enclosure part. The kaleidoscope he makes is shown their and the finish looks oh so sweet!

Either way, once my ReQuests go dead and i can no longer replace the pannels, I'll probably go for them. But first, I need to hear them...

...I might not be happy with their narrow sweet spot, even though I will, as I do now, have my sitting position (couch) set up so that I am always in the sweet spot. Does anyone know how the sweet spot compares to Maggies?

Another thing I think I might not like about them is that the panels start off pretty high off the ground. Often I am sitting on my floor or even reclined in my seat, and so I loose a lot the panel sound. I'd like to see the woofer enclosure be shorter (if the same volume is required to keep the specs correct, it could be deeper instead)

Last edited:
I'll make it one year when the $$$ isn't terrible at this end. Dubai won this last year.

Here's one of the Burj Khalifa. It's tall. The tallest, in fact.

Nice shot Justin. My company did the exterior lighting on the Burj Tower!

... MBL 111e it is

Hi Folks

Given all the help, debate and discussion - I thought I would update this.

After some more fun listening and research, I finally decided on getting a used pair of MBL 111e's. Have had them for 4 days and ...well, they really are quite something.

Patience pays - I was bummed at missing out on the Ushers Be-20s but feel like it could not have worked out better with these MBLs.

Thanks for all the advice and discussion. It helped a lot in the shortlist of auditions I did and the final, oh-so-satisfying addition to my listening repertoire :music:

Hi all,

Just an update. I received my MBL 116's about a week ago.

Had to say bye to my Summits yesterday.

All things considered and in my room, the 116's are a better fit. I always felt I needed a larger room to allow the Summits to perform at optimum. The MBL's are quite different than the Summits to say the least.

GG

Hi Folks

Given all the help, debate and discussion - I thought I would update this.

After some more fun listening and research, I finally decided on getting a used pair of MBL 111e's. Have had them for 4 days and ...well, they really are quite something.

Patience pays - I was bummed at missing out on the Ushers Be-20s but feel like it could not have worked out better with these MBLs.

Thanks for all the advice and discussion. It helped a lot in the shortlist of auditions I did and the final, oh-so-satisfying addition to my listening repertoire :music:

Congrats! So I have to ask - the wife is OK with the MBL's aesthetics? Wasn't that part of the decision making process as well? Did the MBLs end up in the bedroom or other? (hope I'm remembering things right).

Thanks

Hi all,

Just an update. I received my MBL 116's about a week ago.

Had to say bye to my Summits yesterday.

All things considered and in my room, the 116's are a better fit. I always felt I needed a larger room to allow the Summits to perform at optimum. The MBL's are quite different than the Summits to say the least.

GG

Nice home Gordon...hope the MBLs work out, but if they don't,
for less money than you paid, the new Maggie 3.7s may fit
in your room. No need to vacuum, no need to plug to an outlet.
May not be wife friendly, though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. WAF is not a factor but I had to get my dog's OK before making the switch. After several heated discussions (woof woof), Dude (my dog) finally agreed to part with the Summits.

Not much to dislike about the 116's.

To respond to Todd's question, they have less energy up top and substantially more in the mid / deep bass. I would call it generally a "darker" sound with no hint of any loss of detail / information. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Cleaner highs, more liquid mids, and a much more substantial low end. I've ordered a couple more bass traps to tame the new beast. The apparent size / clarity of the sound stage and three dimensionality thereof has increased substantially.

Then there's the omni tweeter and mid range pods. As some of you may know, I've never been a "gotta sit in the sweet spot" kinda guy. In fact, I do more listening in my recliner located slightly right of the right speaker than I do in the center spot. So for me, the 360 degree radiation pattern of these two drivers is a major plus. Off axis listening isn't really off axis anymore. No more frequency / imaging anomalies. A bit strange to get used to but once you do, you may enjoy it as much as I do.

To sum it all up, a more cohesive, balanced, enjoyable musical experience. More closely resembles the natural openness and acoustics that one hears in live music.

It's a shame I never had the chance to set the Summits up in a larger room and I've always felt that I never really heard their true measure.

Having said that, it's been a good twenty some years with various ML products and I am still convinced that, given the correct room, setup, and equipment, they represent a substantial (perhaps unbeatable) value from a price / point perspective.

GG

Last edited:
Back