Great Time at Da Vinci Media

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Justin,

I have read many of your posts and I find them to be informative and well intentioned but, in total, my sense is that you prefer A vs. D. I apologize if I misstated your preference.

The only point I was making (and I didn't do it very well) is that the main goal of any system is, IMHO, to allow the individual to "emotionally connect" with the music regardless of the medium.

And with any medium the end product, in this case music and how each person reacts to the music, is dependant on a substantial amount of variables not related to the playback technology.

Gordon

Hi Brian and welcome!

I am originally from the Chicagoland suburbs, southside Blue Island. Just a quick question for you. If I recall, wasn't there a mall out where you are named "Old Chicago"? I have not been back there in many years and when we cut school, we'd go there and enjoy the indoor amusement park.

Gordon
Howdy Gordon,
I haven't heard of such a place named that out this way. I've lived in the area since '88. If you're ever back this way look me up!

I am originally from the Chicagoland suburbs, southside Blue Island. Just a quick question for you. If I recall, wasn't there a mall out where you are named "Old Chicago"? I have not been back there in many years and when we cut school, we'd go there and enjoy the indoor amusement park.

Gordon

Good Memory Gordon.
Southside Chicago guy here
Old Chicago was in Bolingbrook.
Combination Mall Amusement Park
The roller coaster was called "The Loop"
I believe it was only open for a few years in the mid to late 70's
Went Bankrupt soon after opening.
Parts of the film "The Fury" were filmed in Old Chicago

Given your perspective, obviously nothing.
Too bad more people do not follow your philosophy. I applaud you.

Standing on box....:eek:

People and their beloved source are like people and religion. If you are not following their path then you are part of the dark side. They are always trying to convert you. They will take jabs, low shots, question your integrity, spout all sorts of pure BS, and anything else possible - it is very sad.

Why can't people just be happy with the source they like and respect others and their choices, especially in forums??? Maybe it is the ability or not having to be face to face.

I am not a vinyl person and have my reasons why and I am sure there are those who are not digital people and they have their reasons. None of us are right and none of us are wrong. When will people ever get it?

Stepping down....:rocker:

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

I honestly don't think Justin is pro one format vs. another. I've seen him post as often about CD or SACD as any other.

But you're right Dan. As Jeff (Tonepub) has said here often, it's ALL good. I like some things on LP, some on CD, some on SACD. Went to the symphony the other night and that was astounding. I just like to have music in my life.

Last edited:
Agreed...

I enjoy LP's, but vinyl has driven me mad for 20 years now. Finally have a setup I'm happy with that works consistently. But I have to say if my house burned down and I had to start over again, I'd probably just buy a Sooloos or a Naim HDX and stay digital.

I don't have any disrespect for anyone who isn't interested in the vinyl hassle and it is a hassle/ritual/religion/etc. if you want great analog sound.

I'm just happy digital sounds as good as it does these days!

Too bad more people do not follow your philosophy. I applaud you.

Standing on box....:eek:

People and their beloved source are like people and religion. If you are not following their path then you are part of the dark side. They are always trying to convert you. They will take jabs, low shots, question your integrity, spout all sorts of pure BS, and anything else possible - it is very sad.

Why can't people just be happy with the source they like and respect others and their choices, especially in forums??? Maybe it is the ability or not having to be face to face.

I am not a vinyl person and have my reasons why and I am sure there are those who are not digital people and they have their reasons. None of us are right and none of us are wrong. When will people ever get it?

Stepping down....:rocker:

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

I know you probably did not direct this at me as I have not made any low shots or challenged anybodies integrity. its fun to debate these things I have only stated the things I have discovered. I just love music and the closer I can get to the real thing without having to drive to a concert the better besides many of my favorites have crossed to the other side.

I honestly don't think Justin is pro one format vs. another. I've seen him post as ofetn about CD or SACD as any other.

But you're right Dan. As Jeff (Tonepub) has said here often, it's ALL good. I like some things on LP, some on CD, some on SACD. Went to the symphony the other night and that was astounding. I just like to have music in my life.
As noted in my post - I was not pointing fingers at any ONE individual here regarding preferred source (yes Rich I saw your smiley for the intended humor). Gordon's post just brought up a good point of the need NOT to argue about source. If you like what you have, enjoy it, no need to argue about it.

I believe we have a great site here and we tend to stay away from the typical debate. Other sites can be BRUTAL when it comes to this war and I am glad for the most part we stay away from it.

It seems most of the people that start these wars (generalized statement here) have one great format and one suck format - i.e. they have a SME/30 and an Oppo and state their vinyl KILLS their digital - well DUH really??? And so on in the reverse order of great digital setup where they have a Burmeister, NAIM, Modwright or VSE Modded Players and then they pick up a Rega P2 and have no idea on how to set it up. They then proclaim their digital KILLS their vinyl - well DUH again. See the trend?

Last edited:
I know you probably did not direct this at me as I have not made any low shots or challenged anybodies integrity. its fun to debate these things I have only stated the things I have discovered. I just love music and the closer I can get to the real thing without having to drive to a concert the better besides many of my favorites have crossed to the other side.
It was not directed at ANYBODY or else I would have named names. So no Fish, there is no need to worry or think it was you.

We stay away from this war pretty well here and there are the little digs and innuendos now and then but that is about it. And I believe when we do this as it comes from our heart of loving our music.

Not to get into the LIVE and RECORDED music debate, but our systems will never be equivalent (we can get close) to great live music (even live can sound atrocious) Our rigs just give us GREAT playback of RECORDED music. It is the recording that will always limit us to what we hear.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer my cassette deck. It KILLS vinyl in my system. :D

Well to Dan's point though Rich, that is only a Malibu Barbie turntable in your setup. Had you spent the coin on the Breast Enhanced Goldigger Barbie version you'd be singing a different tune!

what's wrong with arguing about digital verses analog ? its these arguments that caused me to give it a try glad I did before I spent even more on digital I am glad I have found this new found sound.

what's wrong with arguing about digital verses analog ? its these arguments that caused me to give it a try glad I did before I spent even more on digital I am glad I have found this new found sound.

I don't think there is anything wrong with debating the merits of one or another. As Dan and Jeff have both pointed out in this thread, any format can sound great depending on any number of factors including setup, system synergy, source material and the alignment of the stars.

Where I think it degrades into nearly religious rhetoric is when people make broad sweeping statements along the lines of "Vinyl Blows away Digital" or vice versa. I have some things that sound better on vinyl than their digital equivalent. I have other things that sound better on CD or SACD than my vinyl copy. Sometimes I prefer the convenience of CD or my new music streaming setup. In general, I think that vinyl sounds better to MY ears on My system, but I am getting more and more format agnostic.

It's all about what puts a smile on YOUR face and get's YOUR toes tapping. I'm very glad that you are enjoying your turntable so much!

It seems most of the people that start these wars (generalized statement here) have one great format and one suck format - i.e. they have a SME/30 and an Oppo and state their vinyl KILLS their digital - well DUH really??? And so on in the reverse order of great digital setup where they have a Burmeister, NAIM, Modwright or VSE Modded Players and then they pick up a Rega P2 and have no idea on how to set it up. They then proclaim their digital KILLS their vinyl - well DUH again. See the trend?

I have a $2,000.00 Marantz sacd and a $1,000.00 (including the upgraded cartridge price) TT. mind you I have no idea what I am doing and installed the cartridge myself. the TT is very easy to listen to has way more detail.

back to the DaVinci media thread when I was their all of the listening was done on a mark Levinson cd player and I have to say that to me I would have much rather had an analog source things sounded good but they had a dryness that was really exposed when we switched to the CLX .do not get me wrong the sound at Shawns place was excellent I just think it would have been better with an analog source. we could not listen to his TT as he was changing the the cartridge or something it was not ready.

I don't think there is anything wrong with debating the merits of one or another. As Dan and Jeff have both pointed out in this thread, any format can sound great depending on any number of factors including setup, system synergy, source material and the alignment of the stars.

Where I think it degrades into nearly religious rhetoric is when people make broad sweeping statements along the lines of "Vinyl Blows away Digital" or vice versa. I have some things that sound better on vinyl than their digital equivalent. I have other things that sound better on CD or SACD than my vinyl copy. Sometimes I prefer the convenience of CD or my new music streaming setup. In general, I think that vinyl sounds better to MY ears on My system, but I am getting more and more format agnostic.

It's all about what puts a smile on YOUR face and get's YOUR toes tapping. I'm very glad that you are enjoying your turntable so much!

thanks it really was you guys that got me to try it ! their definitely are cd's I will always listen to its just that know its a bit different. I also like that I have an alternative format

Latest posts

Back