Great Time at Da Vinci Media

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Ortofon bronze cartridge it recommends a capacitance of 150-300 my c2300 was set to 50 so I set it to 150 what level would you set it to? is it just personal taste or is this something that needs be exact? I would assume that the higher you set it the more the hi freq roll of but then I really do not know.

this thing sounds great by the way. super accurate, strong and smooth all at the same time.

mac as well as others ( yeah I like to bug the manufactures of the equipment that I buy as I think the sticker price buys me a few phone calls to the horses mouth lol ) say that a moving coil will open another worlds what do you guys think. where should I start I really like my Ortofon although am really interested in others what are the differences ?

yep, more capacitance will roll off the high end. Consider the mfr. suggestion a starting point and use it as a tone control. Adjust to taste, where you like it best. Not really a right or wrong.

What kind of table did you pick up again?

You can probably get a fair share more inner detail with a higher end MM or modestly priced MC than you are getting now, but if you like the current sound, hold steady for a while...

What would you like to get that you are not getting now?

this thing sounds great by the way. super accurate, strong and smooth all at the same time.

That is what your striving for.... happiness for your ears !

a moving coil will open another worlds what do you guys think. where should I start I really like my Ortofon although am really interested in others what are the differences ?

Like Jeff said, relax enjoy what you have right now, look at your sentence above ! Down the road if an MC is in the cards just do your homework so as to match it properly with arm, phono-pre, etc.

Well, looking at the Mac website, Les Paul likes Mac - so it must be cool!

Congratulations, Fish - that's quite a nice pre/power combo you have yourself there, to say the least:) Enjoy.

I like the look of the C22/MC75 re-issues too.

Well, looking at the Mac website, Les Paul likes Mac - so it must be cool!

Congratulations, Fish - that's quite a nice pre/power combo you have yourself there, to say the least:) Enjoy.

I like the look of the C22/MC75 re-issues too.

thanks ! even as good as it looks it sounds even better !

yep, more capacitance will roll off the high end. Consider the mfr. suggestion a starting point and use it as a tone control. Adjust to taste, where you like it best. Not really a right or wrong.

What kind of table did you pick up again?

You can probably get a fair share more inner detail with a higher end MM or modestly priced MC than you are getting now, but if you like the current sound, hold steady for a while...

Its a Pro-Ject Xpression III Turntable

yeah I am going to hold steady for a while I have to get use to some of this gear. not long ago I played my cd's threw a surround sound processor (and that can be good as well) this is a big change.

BTW the TT just blows away the cd's in my opinion the records have so much more emotion to them and a deeper sound stage.although you cannot consciously recognize the 010110010100101 nature of a cd somehow your brain tries to figure out what is going on and this subconsciously distracts from the you from the music. my best analogy is that its almost like the green tint in the matrix you have always known something was wrong but have not known what "it" was.

really nothing the sound leaves nothing to be desired but when I hear things like this it makes my mind wonder lol.

Last edited:
Eureka! I've discovered the difference!

Digital goes false, true, false, false, true, false, false, false, true.

Analogue goes true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, click, true, true, true.:D

Therefore, analogue is the truer medium! Click...

With logic like that, I should be ruling the world. Er...:D

Nope, you just need better digital...

It's all good in my book. I've heard good and bad examples of both.

Hi Justin,

Please no more analogue / digital generalizations.

We all understand your position but this is beating the proverbial horse to death.

GG

Nope, you just need better digital...

It's all good in my book. I've heard good and bad examples of both.

what would you recommend as better digital as sacd even though I own one is not really a digital alternative as there are not many titles I like available

are you telling me that my marantz is not good enough???

Last edited:
Hi Fish,

You comment on content is spot on.

It's unfortunate that the SACD library is generally limited to classical and some jazz.

I believe the failure to offer a broader variety was, in part, the reason SACD was not a market success.

I think Jeff's comments went more towards quality, irrespective of genre.

The SACD format is great for me because I am more biased towards classical and jazz but I realize I'm probably in the minority.

GG

Beating a dead horse, I suppose, analog is the reference here, though the digital is extremely good and has surprised many. Correct cartridge/tonearm alignment is so, um, essential for optimal performance - azimuth being off by a fraction of a degree is clearly audible, but boy, when it's dialed in...!

On another topic, I had the Music First Audio passive units (copper and silver versions) here last year. Although the silver had more extended highs, I found the copper version to be more neutral. I still prefer an excellent active preamp.

Fish, since you've crossed over to McIntosh here is a suggestion: MCD500

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/1219.asp

I've never heard it, but the buzz is this player gets close to 95% of the performance of the MDA1K for substantially less coin and it has SACD capability.

Gordon

you know I have listened to cd's pretty much my whole life and am kinda sick of them I would much rather spend that money on a better table although the one I have is just fine for right now as it beats my $2,000.00 marantz to death.

We all understand your position but this is beating the proverbial horse to death.

GG

Hi Gordon,

Do you? I thnk you need to refer to some of my posts where I state that both are capable of excellent performance, though I think digital only really gets great at the SACD/24/96 level. At it's worst, though, low bit rate stuff is pretty horrid, as is a filthy record with loads of noise and "quiet" music.

Anyway, Gordon, don't be so sensitive, I was just messing around with words/joking, though I appreciate I have probably been doing a bit too much of that recently.

I think Gordon would appreciate that we didn't have another huge vinyl/digital debate here...:)

Justin

On another topic, I had the Music First Audio passive units (copper and silver versions) here last year. Although the silver had more extended highs, I found the copper version to be more neutral. I still prefer an excellent active preamp.

Out of curiousity, did you sell any? Did you feel it bettered active preamps at a similar price point for sound only, since they are very basic in terms of features?

Yes, I sold one in the brief time I had them. On a price basis they beat a lot of active units and I am reasonably certain are the best of the passive units available.

Hi Brian and welcome!

I am originally from the Chicagoland suburbs, southside Blue Island. Just a quick question for you. If I recall, wasn't there a mall out where you are named "Old Chicago"? I have not been back there in many years and when we cut school, we'd go there and enjoy the indoor amusement park.

Gordon

Latest posts

Back