Expensive equipment that stank in your system

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Matz

Reaction score
Now that I own the Vantages, my Bryston amp has become the weak link in my system. I have been auditioning some amps, and had the mis-fortune of trying out a 100 wpc Mark Levinson amp.

Levinson owners, please don't take this personally, but I found the Levinson sound slow and overly detailed. The midrange was a bit smoother than my Bryston, but was much slower, and for 2.5 x the cost? In fact, I am wondering how Levinson gets off charging the big bucks for their stuff, as I found no emotion conveyed in the music.

What expensive brands have you tried that you found disappointing?

Last edited:
Before folks start dissing specific brands, please remember that overall system "synergy" must be factored in. Sometimes a well-designed amp (or preamp, cables, or whatever) sounds lousy with a particular set of components, yet superb with another. That's why we recommend AUDITIONING gear in YOUR setup, before purchasing. When I decided to replace my Sunfire amp with another, I auditioned a handful of brands, before ultimately sticking with the Belles. Some of those other amps were highly regarded (garnering great reviews), yet didn't deliver in MY setup. The neverending search for that "holy grail" of PERFECT system synergy is what keeps this hobby/addiction fun!

Before folks start dissing specific brands, please remember that overall system "synergy" must be factored in. Sometimes a well-designed amp (or preamp, cables, or whatever) sounds lousy with a particular set of components, yet superb with another. That's why we recommend AUDITIONING gear in YOUR setup, before purchasing. When I decided to replace my Sunfire amp with another, I auditioned a handful of brands, before ultimately sticking with the Belles. Some of those other amps were highly regarded (garnering great reviews), yet didn't deliver in MY setup. The neverending search for that "holy grail" of PERFECT system synergy is what keeps this hobby/addiction fun!

I agree 100%, factors could be equipment, cables, room, media and your ears. In a big ball of wax the "Synergy"! Happy listening! :music:

As I stated, this is not about dissing any brand. It may or may not be about synergies - I do not think all of the brands are created equal. It is about sonic signatures that do not agree with you.

Which ML did you try? ML431?

I own a ml383 and that one swings!!

I tried the 331. My dealer said that my reaction was typical. Some guys love this type of sound and get Levinson throughout their entire system. Others hate it. Thank God we live in a free counttry and have choices!

Too bad ML's (Mark Levinson's) don't always match perfectly with ML's (Martin Logan's). :D

So true. Fact is, if you upgrade one component at a time (as most of us do) then the system is always going to be out of synergy - that is what makes the basis of our next upgrade and so on and indeed keeps this hobby fun, fresh and interesting.

Very few of us have the funds to throw away our system, then build a new system from scratch to ensure perfect synergy.

Enjoy your new speakers with your existing gear (I bet it still soudns better) and when funds (or WAF) allow, upgrade the weakest component in your system. Then you'll find something else in the chain sucks. haha.

Now that I own the Vantages, my Bryston amp has become the weak link in my system. I have been auditioning some amps, and had the mis-fortune of trying out a 100 wpc Mark Levinson amp.

Levinson owners, please don't take this personally, but I found the Levinson sound slow and overly detailed. The midrange was a bit smoother than my Bryston, but was much slower, and for 2.5 x the cost? In fact, I am wondering how Levinson gets off charging the big bucks for their stuff, as I found no emotion conveyed in the music.

What expensive brands have you tried that you found disappointing?

Me thinks you are used to the bryston sound... I would quantify bryston as detailed/punchy/wide soundstage/fast....Don't know much about the Mark Levinson - but would it lean more towards warm and smooth? I have yet to have a 'stinker' in my system... I am way too picky and too CHEAP... I have taken up to 2 years trying to figure it out... by the time I do....Jeez it better be right!!!! :)

The Big Klipschorn.

I had vivid memories of them at a buddies house with a full McIntosh system, but I got a pair to try out for a while and hooked em up to a C220 and my MC275 and the sound was pretty dissapointing. Nowhere near as much bass as I had hoped for and just pretty lifeless overall...

The Big Klipschorn.

I had vivid memories of them at a buddies house with a full McIntosh system, but I got a pair to try out for a while and hooked em up to a C220 and my MC275 and the sound was pretty dissapointing. Nowhere near as much bass as I had hoped for and just pretty lifeless overall...

What else were you using?

Back