By The Numbers - Why the HD DVD/Blu-Ray War Is Over.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverb2009

Reaction score
Check out this article I came across. Lots of pie charts and interesting data. Good read.

http://blog.pixelperfectproductions.com/?p=54

In the end, the reality is that no matter what numbers you look at, Blu-Ray has the advantage. Blu-Ray is outselling HD DVD, it has more studio support, it has more consumer electronics manufacturers’ support and the library of movies is rapidly overtaking HD DVD. Blu-Ray also has a deeper library of catalog titles to reach into.

Humans....we cant agree on anything can we? I am neutral on this format "war" of whining babies on both sides. I will just sit back and enjoy watching good movies....regardless of what format they are in. It really doesnt matter. Buy a combo player and get over it folks. :)

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

I have seen charts that show HD-DVD trailing by a huge margin and being even with Blue-Ray.

I don't trust 86.9% of what I hear anymore.

I tend to side with the last post in the attached thread. I think these two formats will slug it out, limiting initial adoption of either format. By the time there is a "winner", HD streaming will already be eroding their market share. It's not that far away. Heck, I can already get it on my HD cable.

Personnaly, I haven't seen much content released by studios in the last several years that would justify the investment. HD football...well that's a different story!

While many of us here are concerned about quality, audio and video, the mass market clearly is not. I just don't see how either format will make a dent in an firmly established DVD market, selling $29 players and $10 movies at Walmart...at least not any time soon.

I tend to side with the last post in the attached thread. I think these two formats will slug it out, limiting initial adoption of either format. By the time there is a "winner", HD streaming will already be eroding their market share. It's not that far away. Heck, I can already get it on my HD cable.

Personnaly, I haven't seen much content released by studios in the last several years that would justify the investment. HD football...well that's a different story!

While many of us here are concerned about quality, audio and video, the mass market clearly is not. I just don't see how either format will make a dent in an firmly established DVD market, selling $29 players and $10 movies at Walmart...at least not any time soon.

Exactly my feelings on the video war front. Just another stupid battle that didn't need to be fought. HD football is a winner though.:meditate:

It might all come down to names. "Blu-Ray' just SOUNDS more marketable than 'HD-DVD'...

Blu-ray is definitely a more marketable name. The other day the Toshiba rep came into my store and talked to me about the format war. He's a great guy and probably my favorite rep to talk to, but I'm just disappointed to see HD-DVD doing so bad. Its mostly due to horrible marketing. They took 10 months to get their display up in the store, and it doesn't even talk about HD-DVD, the display just says REGZA and happens to have an HD-DVD player with it. He said they just signed on HBOFilms. That isn't really going to help.

That being said, I don't see them losing this format war. I think that over time, movies will just keep coming out on both formats and people will learn to buy both or combo players. Sales of both are pretty dismal, with Blu-ray, which used to have about a 2 to 1 edge, now has what i'd call an 8 to 1 edge in my store. I honestly can't remember the last time we sold an HD-DVD player. We special order Blu-ray players because we sold out of them in the store.

Format wars suck. I rather listen to music!

people will learn to buy both or combo players. Sales of both are pretty dismal, with Blu-ray, which used to have about a 2 to 1 edge, now has what i'd call an 8 to 1 edge in my store. I honestly can't remember the last time we sold an HD-DVD player. We special order Blu-ray players because we sold out of them in the store.

Format wars suck. I rather listen to music!

Format wars do SUCK! I want a GOOD super Blue combo player that also handles SACD! When a REALLY good one comes out I will buy it! It is that simple. Then I don't have to worry about getting something on BD or HD-DVD!

All I want is a reader that will make exact images of aANY disc and let me store it on a hard drive and stream it anywhere in the house at any time I want. :) IS that too much to ask? hehe

The 'War' will never really end, as more than likely, the HD-DVD studios will continue the trend of releasing all new titles as 'combo' DVD's with HD on one side and DVD on the other.

For retailers, there is no penalty to stock combos vs 'standard' DVD's., so that should be pretty transparent.

Blue-Ray still has the challenge that their format does not (yet) support combos, so retailers and rental stores msut stock two SKU's. But that will change soon, as JVC has shown a combo disc (compatibility of a multilayer SD/HD disc on the existing installed base of SD players is unknown).

Then there is the Warner Total HD, which has BD on one sde and HD on the other. So one SKU for HD titles is an option with that process.

Finally, Combo players, than handle SD/HD/BD are hitting the streets, so the need to 'pick' a format is dwindling.

It's sad to see the confusion this silly format war has created. The CE firms and the studios really shot themselves in the foot.
I think if several large studios had not been owned by CE companies, the studios would have forced the CE companies to define and stick to a std.
This is why vertical consolidation is sometimes not good for the consumer.

When the movie rental businesses start carrying Blu-Ray or HD-DVD I'll get seriuos about getting a high-def player. For now it's a low priority. Heck, I still need a sub for my HT system.

When the movie rental businesses start carrying Blu-Ray or HD-DVD I'll get seriuos about getting a high-def player. For now it's a low priority but when I do it will be a dual format player. Heck, I still need a sub for my HT system.

Format wars do SUCK! I want a GOOD super Blue combo player that also handles SACD! When a REALLY good one comes out I will buy it! It is that simple. Then I don't have to worry about getting something on BD or HD-DVD!

The PS3 with a firmware update does BlueRay and SACD ;)

When the movie rental businesses start carrying Blu-Ray or HD-DVD I'll get seriuos about getting a high-def player. For now it's a low priority. Heck, I still need a sub for my HT system.

Neflix is HD-DVD and Blockbuster is Blue-Ray.

So yeah, umm, ugh :(

So yeah, umm, ugh

Cool...I've been using Hollywood Videos and considering switching over to Blockbuster. Now I have more reason to do so. Now I'm interested in a high def DVD player but it will be a universal model. Any recommendations?

So yeah, umm, ugh :(

Netflix has BOTH as does BlockBuster online. Only BlockBuster B&M stores are BR only.

Renting is not a problem thanks to NetFlix, regardless of format. They even will pick the highest rez version and send you that if it's avaialble in SD and HD.

Back