HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tsd2005 I think I am done arguing with a fanboy like you because I have tried it in the past and nothing can be accomplished. If you "think" that the new HD toshiba players can better anything on the DVD market then it truly shows just how much of a fanboy you are. The video sections in the higher end DVD players will slaughter the toshiba on paper and on the screen and since you "think" resolution is the only thing that matters then you live in a small world. I could see someone having this opinion if the new high def players can output pure 1080p but even then it would be a long shot.

Zip3kx07 said:
Your about as confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar. :p

Well except I'm not. There are currently 17 patent holders for different Essential parts of BD. Sony created "BD," and brought the others to the table. I don't have the time to look up the patent online. However Sony started it, it is Sony's baby. Just because Dell, etc. help change things up does not change the fact that Sony started the whole process.

It is why the media, etc. still call it Sony's tech.

Sony saw how Toshiba won with DVD. Toshiba brought in multiple companies to form a DVD Forum. They let these companies help develop the format. Changes were made, but Toshiba still gets something like a dollar for every DVD player sold. With so many partners involved Toshiba was able to attack the market like very few new technologies had ever before it. In fact it was the fastest growing new tech of all time.

The DVD Forum stayed together and picked HD-DVD as the replacement. The tech was brought to them by NEC and Toshiba.

Sony picked some companies of their own to develop BD. Pioneer and LG were in it from almost the begining. Philips and Matsushita came on board later, then Dell, Samsung, etc.

You are just insane!

More information is on the DISCs. So therefor they can put a better image on the screen.

Are you just stupid?

Calling me a fanboy when you're what?

Just dumb?

Show me how on paper DVD provides a better picture than HD-DVD.

PLEASE.

Just show me.

I don't think you understand because HD dvd and blu ray are far superior then DVD but there is one big problem, we don't have a PLAYER to take advantage of this!

I will wait until denon makes a player. I am really impressed with their players. I have experience with the 2910 and the 3910, both are excelent, they are great for dvd, sacd and cds. they all play very well through them.

My dvds play really close to HD quality. I was watching desperate housewives dvd and told myself that it cannot get better than that.

When denon makes a High def DVD player, then I will consider buing one. They also have to sell the movies at the same price as the curent sd ones.

boutrosa said:
I will wait until denon makes a player. I am really impressed with their players. I have experience with the 2910 and the 3910, both are excelent, they are great for dvd, sacd and cds. they all play very well through them.

My dvds play really close to HD quality. I was watching desperate housewives dvd and told myself that it cannot get better than that.

When denon makes a High def DVD player, then I will consider buing one. They also have to sell the movies at the same price as the curent sd ones.
Denon and software!!!!!! Agreed

Tiberium said:
I don't think you understand because HD dvd and blu ray are far superior then DVD but there is one big problem, we don't have a PLAYER to take advantage of this!

You've called me names like "fanboy," but you keep telling us how DVD right now is better than what HD-DVD has RIGHT NOW. I'm not a fanboy. I don't like being called names by someone who can't even back up his outragious claims.

Prove it to me. Don't call me names like a little child. Prove it to me.

Understand that I have an EE degree. Understand that I was once ISF certified. Now tell me how any normal DVD player provides better picture quality TODAY over HD-DVD.

Please. If not then apologize for calling me a fanboy. It seems like you're just upset that a new technology is here and like every new technology is not taking full advantage of that technology.

I'm sorry that 1080p players aren't out for the 5,000 people that own a 1080p capable display. I really am. I'm also sorry that we don't have the ability to play a lossless codec at the current moment.

Yet I remember DVD players when they first came out. The cheapest units didn't have component outputs. There was no progressive scan imaging. The only way to get DTS was to spend a lot of money on your system.

Well even then DVD provided a better picture than VHS. To those of us who had a DVD player the day they came out, it was worth it for us. I remember being floored by Blade Runner on my DVD player...

I remember SACD players were only stereo in the begining. Sound was still better.

The fact is that HD-DVD provides a startling difference in picture quality than current DVD players. Even the best players in the world. Whether it is a Denon 5910 or the Meridian 800 series DVD player. When watching normal DVDs on it, the Toshiba unit is better than a lot of players out there. It doesn't look as good as the aforementioned Denon or Meridian, but its a solid picture.

Sound is currently noticably different than current DVD despite the lack of uber codecs.

There are currently over 10 Million TVs out there on the market that are capable of getting an extremely noticable difference between DVD and HD-DVD. If they want to spend $500 today, or $350 by the end of the year for that difference they should. Because 1080p means nothing to them. Their TV couldn't display it anyway.

HD-DVD looks a lot better than HDTV signals. I mean a lot better. Every HDTV signal I know of is over compressed. HD-DVD is not. So you get a really stunning picture.

I'm sorry this hurts your feelings. However you have no right to call me names just because I tell the truth.

Remember DVD... it took 5 years before progressive scan players were priced reasonably. It took about that time for DTS to become standard in receivers at any price. So it took a while before the best picture and best sound became available for the masses. In the begining there wasn't even progressive players.

So right now we have players that are progressive again (in 1080). We have good sound, but again not the best (DTS).

It is just a repeat of DVD. However like DVD was an improvement over VHS, so is HD-DVD.

boutrosa said:

Your players might play what you think is really close to HD quality, but in reality they don't. Even the 5910 doesn't match up to HD-DVD. I've seen the comparisons. There is actually a night and day difference.

Don't mistake HD-DVD for HDTV. HDTV is subject to the signal. Just about every HDTV signal I've received recently has been subpar for HDTV quality. More and more compression is going on, and the picture quality doesn't appear to be that much better than DVD. Some channels are much better than others.

HD-DVD is a lot better than you think. If you can look at a properly hooked up HD-DVD player you might be surprised.

My Denon rep says they have prototypes for both HD-DVD and BluRay. They are trying to find out if they will be entering the market for Christmas. If so which type will they be going with? Right now I'm told they are leaning to releasing a $800 HD-DVD player. NAD Electronics also has prototypes for both and will be making a decision by CEDIA. They have a $1,000 HD-DVD player in the works. Chances are high that if they release it in November, it will be the first 1080p HDMI 1.3 HD-DVD player on the market, as well as the first player to do internal decoding of the high end DTS codecs!

So Denon and NAD may have HD-DVD offerings for us this year!

tsd2005 you are a fanboy because everything you say is based on assumptions and you have yet to back anything up. The first generation products for every new technology have always been crap and people like you always jump on the bandwagon before the wheels are on. The problem with HD dvd is that anything that was gained in the video department is lost when the player downscales it to 1080i, anything gained in the audio department is lost once again by the downscaling, and why would you want to own a player that you can not pause then play?

I'm sorry that 1080p players aren't out for the 5,000 people that own a 1080p capable display. I really am. I'm also sorry that we don't have the ability to play a lossless codec at the current moment.

Once again you answered your own question, yet you keep on repeating yourself and it is starting to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back