Buy The Very Best Source You Can Afford

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regardless of how the manufacturers achieve their goals, I believe it is only recently that manufacturers have caught up with the potential of 16 bit CD. Some of the latest upsampling players have attracted my attention, and the sounds I have heard have made me seriously consider a source upgrade.

Hmmmm ... Goulburn.

Canberra - Plinius at Merlin Audio

Melbourne - Greg Osborn Audio Aero and Consonance 30 day trial

Sydney - Len Wallis - Meridian
- Audio Connection CEC, Levinson, Ayre

My pick for the absolute sleeper is the Plinius which out guns our Audio Aero Capitole 24/l92 Mk l. At the time I thought the Audio Aero was significantly better than the 390s. Nip across to Merlin and see what you think.

Kevin

Please stop! :stop:
All this talk about the benefits of chunky transports is making me fantasize about getting a Sony SCD-1! :D
Then get it modified by Vacuum State with their Level 5+ mods - it will be like a new player arrived in your system.

Dan

My pick for the absolute sleeper is the Plinius which out guns our Audio Aero Capitole 24/l92 Mk l. At the time I thought the Audio Aero was significantly better than the 390s. Nip across to Merlin and see what you think.
Kevin...if I am not mistaken, isn't the Plinius Redbook only? I have heard the Audio Aero, and it did not impress me.

Dan

Plinius is redbook only - our Audio Aero has had a direct out fitted and is run through a Consonance Rl.l preamp. The AA preamp in the cdp which acts as the volume control is not a strong point.

Always interesting that people with similar tastes (Plinius/ML) can reach different conclusions on another bit of equipment. We have had the Audio Aero for five years and I still like it.

Kevin

Kevin...if I am not mistaken, isn't the Plinius Redbook only? I have heard the Audio Aero, and it did not impress me.

Dan

Well,

I've heard the Audio Aero SACD player. Don't want to exaggerate ... coming home and listening to my VSE 5 modded SCD-555ES made me smile ear to ear. It is not even the 5+. So I agree completely with Dan.

miljac

Always interesting that people with similar tastes (Plinius/ML) can reach different conclusions on another bit of equipment. We have had the Audio Aero for five years and I still like it.
Guess I am just spoiled with my modded 999ES.

Dan

Back