bryston and martin logan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilot

Reaction score
Iìm very interested to bryston sp2 and multichannell 9bsst.
Any experience?
How does it sound?
Thanks
marco

Any experience?
How does it sound?
Thanks
marco
Hola Marco...Bryston is one of the best and fine made canadian made products. You can't go wrong with them. I still have in my system one B2 power amp, that I use in bridge connection for my center channel. They are clean, lots of dymanics with a real sense of air between instruments, with the right stage. Also the warranty for any Bryston unit is for over 20 years, so this says something for their products, right? Any model of their power amps can drive ML with no problem, because they can handle very well low impedance. The topology of the circuit allows it with no problem. Bass is robust with very good extension from bottom to top. The mids are free of glare and the highs are truly transparent...ML sings nice whit Bryston goods...my ears like them. I do trust my ears. Hope this might help, happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Any experience?
How does it sound?
Thanks
marco

I have a 3 channel version of the 9bsst driving frescos in the rear and a cinema i for the center channel. The rest of my equipment consists of summits driven by ARC ref 110 and a ref 3 preamp. Video playback and cable tv audio are through a rotel 1068. I've ever felt the need to upgrade the bryston even though the arc electronics outprice it by almost 3-to-1. I recommend it highly.

You know what a lot of people say about Bryston.... it's the poor man's Krell. So you're getting a lot of bang for your buck there. Bryston is basically bullet-proof, as their 20 year warranty suggests.

Joey

Any experience?
How does it sound?
Thanks
marco

Erik's little Bryston story...

A few months back I saw a really good price on a Rotel 1080. Some dealer in Wisconsin had a used one and was selling in on the 'Gon. I gave him a call and asked if he still had the amp. Sadly, he sold it earlier in the week.

We got to talking about other amps and I told him: "Hey, I got some ML Aerius i speakers and basically I want a good sounding amp that's going to last a long time because A) I am not a compulsive upgrader (well I say that now...) B) I don't have a ton of money to drop on stereo equipment."

His terse reply: Bryston 4B SST

Tons of power, a reputation for great value, and a warranty that is virtually unmatched in the industry (infact, I can't think of any electronic equipment with a 20 year warranty)

Good luck.

Erik

i love bryston...sounds GREAT!!!!....but the pre/pro (especially multi ch) is a bit of a pain...no OSD and only a tiny LCD on the front to do calibration and other tweaks...but like i said, awsome sound...if it wasnt for the price i got on my rotel gear...and used bryston was around, i would have all bryston.

~greg

p.s. bulletproof indeed!

The first Martin Logans I hears were Sequels driven by a Bryston 4st. It blew me away, and I've been hooked ever since. I've never owned Bryston, but they have a great reputation, as as you've already said, a bulletproof 20 guarantee so there must be SOMETHING in their build quality...

And they seem to have a REALLY high resale value on EBaY amd Audiogon. So if you get one, and grow tired of it in 5 years, you can probably sell it for a pretty decent return.

--Richard

I have never heard any Bryston stuff. Next time I'm in town I'll check out the range.

There is no question the Bryston build quality is unmatched but I have always found their amps to be on the bright side. They were however very accurate and had a good sound stage.

Someone else said the poor man's Krell and honestly I never liked the Krell sound either. I think they have similar sonics between the two manufacturers.

Again both great amp makers just not what I am looking for out of my amps. I hope my two cents helps.

I find them very neutral and not bright. Multichannel SACDs sound scary-good (if well-recorded) on my system.

I love Bryston, but amps much better than pre amps

I use a Bryston 4B ST, and it does a great job of driving the Logans. In the past, Bryston was considered bright. This label has stuck, but is not necessarily true. The newer versions are very neutral, especially the 14 B SST, which I would take over anything nearly 1.5 times of its price range. Also, good cables take some the brightness out from the older equipment.

As for pre-amps, they are very detailed and have amazing bass, but less musical in a 2 channel setup. Their amplifiers are much better than their preamps. However, the new preamp, BP 26, is a huge improvement over the past products. I am not a big movie fan, so I cannot really comment on the 5 channel product - the SP 2. Stereophile seems to like it a lot - "Class A" - for what it's worth. The SP2 has the new 2 channel BP-26 pre-amp built into it.

I use a 14bsst via a passive Adcom gfp-750 to my CLSZ II...love it :music:

Aren't those bridged in operation? This is why these amplifiers punch out something like 600 watts per channel. When running bridged ampliifers I thought they were less capable of running very low impedance loads. Is this a problem?

I thought maybe the 4B-SST would be a safer bet with Martin Logans...

I got to try out the 14bsst before purchase and I was concerned about this but when you view the impedence curve of the CLS the extreme low is way up there at 20K where not much is happening ie so far no problems heard/felt.

Back