ESL-X sound faded in the middle of the panel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azhar_akbari

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased the pair of Martin Logan ESL-X speakers from Marketplace. I notice one speaker is mostly giving muffled sound/ low sound from the mid of the electrostatic panel, the sound from top and bottom of the panel is crisp. The other speaker outputs the same sound from top to bottom.

I have tried vacuuming the panel many times, but to no luck. Any suggestions on what can I try?

Thanks

Hi,

I recently purchased the pair of Martin Logan ESL-X speakers from Marketplace. I notice one speaker is mostly giving muffled sound/ low sound from the mid of the electrostatic panel, the sound from top and bottom of the panel is crisp. The other speaker outputs the same sound from top to bottom.

I have tried vacuuming the panel many times, but to no luck. Any suggestions on what can I try?

Thanks
Many on here have washed theirs. We have some threads on here about how to do it. My panels were old and worn, so I ordered new ones from ML.

Thanks Robert. I will give it a try with washing it. I am surprised that this is a new speaker (though I bought it used, but its only one year old), and this is happening with it. I checked with ML on warranty, they said the warranty is not transferrable, which is disappointing knowing the fact how costly their speakers are.

Thanks Robert. I will give it a try with washing it. I am surprised that this is a new speaker (though I bought it used, but its only one year old), and this is happening with it. I checked with ML on warranty, they said the warranty is not transferrable, which is disappointing knowing the fact how costly their speakers are.
Oh, that.sucks about the warranty. Find the serial number on the panel, usually at the bottom I think, we have a sticky thread here I think with the serial # decoder. It will tell you how old it is. The speaker cabinet has its own too, so distinguish between the two. You can see how old they are. Some guys on here that live in places that have a lot of dust, humidity, and or pollution have had panels go bad fast.

There is only one serial number I see on the cabinet... its AFS7399130M06. How can I get the details on this serial number?

Thanks

As far as I know, the panel should have one too. Check both, maybe one came off. The ones on my speakers are just stickers I think.

Mine are at the bottom of each panel, maybe yours are in a different spot. I got new panels and they too have a number.
Yes I see that when I remove panel from the top support, where I see the nbr.

Attachments

• IMG_8217.jpeg
    IMG_8217.jpeg
    908.7 KB · Views: 0
Yes I see that when I remove panel from the top support, where I see the nbr.
Ok, looks like the format changed at one point. Yours is real easy then! I like the month and year at the end. So those are only about 4 years old.
I replaced my panels after they were 20 years old. They should last a lot longer than 4. Hopefully some of the guys that know a lot about this will come on this thread.
Mine kinda just died all over. I had to turn the gain way up on the receiver. I almost wonder if something somehow got on the center of the panel. I've heard of people spilling drinks on them.
A lose wire should affect the entire panel I think, so I doubt it's that. We have some guys on here that know a lot about electrostats, they might have ideas.
Last resort is to wash the panel. Find some threads on here about how to do it. If it was dirty air ruining the panel, you'd think both panels would be screwed up and it wouldn't be just the center of a panel.

There is only one serial number I see on the cabinet... its AFS7399130M06. How can I get the details on this serial number?

Thanks
M06 = 2020 June

Being that this is from a recently made speaker, the old decoder doesn't work for these. I got my info from ML Service when I asked how to decode my SN from my speakers I ordered in early 2019.

I've already washed the panel yesterday, will put it back in the frame/ cabinet later today and will see if it worked or not. Even if it works, I am not sure what is the longevity of the treatment, if it puts the panel back to its original life span cycle, or if it will last only for few months, will have to see.

I've already washed the panel yesterday, will put it back in the frame/ cabinet later today and will see if it worked or not. Even if it works, I am not sure what is the longevity of the treatment, if it puts the panel back to its original life span cycle, or if it will last only for few months, will have to see.
Hopefully some panel washers will comment. I've never done it and seen how long it lasts.
I wonder if you can discover what the conditions were in the previous owners home. Things like high humidity and dust or pollution can really hit them hard I think. Smoking is one. Were they in a climate controlled environment, with AC?

If your home is controlled and clean you may be ok for a long time

I recently bought the pair, the guy claims these are "new" speakers, but it seems like a scam. Now that I have both of them, only one is working fine, and the other faulty one.. I already tried washing it yesterday, and when I put it back today, I notice the same issue

I recently bought the pair, the guy claims these are "new" speakers, but it seems like a scam. Now that I have both of them, only one is working fine, and the other faulty one.. I already tried washing it yesterday, and when I put it back today, I notice the same issue
Sorry to hear it did not help. Many people in here had good luck with it. They are 4 years old, so obviously not brand new unless he never used them. 4 years is young though for panels. They should be fine.

Back