Quantcast

Will I be able to rip CDs in the future...NO!

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

socialxray

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
273
Reaction score
0
Location
Apple Valley, CA
I made a prediction that in 2 years CDs will be unrippable. The Content Industry is taking step to ensure that holds up legally.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060215-6190.html

I know that this does not bother some people because they do not use computers or other components (Musiccast, Fireball) to store and manage their music. BUT doing so does have many advantages and it is an innovation that can potentially change the way we listen to music by giving us maximum flexibility with our music. Not to mention, if you use the right methods and equipment you do not lose any audio quality.

For example when I made a trip to Costa Rica I had access to all of my CDs from my music server at home via the Internet. Sure the music was compressed on the fly so that the trip from home to Costa Rica could be done in a timely manner but I doubt I heard a loss of quality due to the computer speakers that I was using.

Anyways read the article and tell me what you think.
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
This is the End...

socialxray said:
I made a prediction that in 2 years CDs will be unrippable. The Content Industry is taking step to ensure that holds up legally.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060215-6190.html

I know that this does not bother some people because they do not use computers or other components (Musiccast, Fireball) to store and manage their music. BUT doing so does have many advantages and it is an innovation that can potentially change the way we listen to music by giving us maximum flexibility with our music. Not to mention, if you use the right methods and equipment you do not lose any audio quality.

For example when I made a trip to Costa Rica I had access to all of my CDs from my music server at home via the Internet. Sure the music was compressed on the fly so that the trip from home to Costa Rica could be done in a timely manner but I doubt I heard a loss of quality due to the computer speakers that I was using.

Anyways read the article and tell me what you think.
socialxray,

I agree with you the handwriting is more than on the wall, especially when they say, "making copies of CD's for any purpose, may in fact be an infringement." RIAA seems not to care about "Fair use" or "Historical Precedent". RIAA is really pushing to prevent all copying period. I think it is a loss of more personal freedom, for private use backing-up files and personal use as well. Good informative article. Thanks for sharing.
 

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
3,617
Reaction score
15
Location
Rancho Mirage, California
I believe that CDs will be phased out totally and the only way you'll be able to get music is online.

Have any of you guys tried allofmp3.com yet? It's AWESOME and cheap!!

Tom.
 

socialxray

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
273
Reaction score
0
Location
Apple Valley, CA
My only problem with downloading music is that to my knowledge no one currently offers lossless audio yet.

Also DRM is a big issue for me. If I buy from iTunes, because of their Digital Restrictions Management, I cannot stream that music to my Squeezebox3 or any other non-Apple device for that matter. That really sucks because my computer speakers are crap compared to my SL3's.

Of course some sites do not have DRM such as allformp3.com. And of course these sites are doing business without the consent of the record labels.

Honestly if allformp3.com offered music in the FLAC format I would be there right now.
 
Last edited:

SteveInNC

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
480
Reaction score
0
Location
Research Triangle, NC
socialxray said:
My only problem with downloading music is that to my knowledge no one currently offers lossless audio yet.
Bingo! I've never bought a downloadable tune for this very reason. Mind you, some of the Redbook CDs I've bought are probably worse quality than a good MP3... I also don't think that the big record companies will ever offer lossless downloads because they are too perfect, allowing high-quality pirate copies. This is much the same argument used for blocking hi def and/or digital video from being shared in its digital form (excluding special cases like TiVo's DRM'ed sharing solution).

Also DRM is a big issue for me. If I buy from iTunes, because of their Digital Restrictions Management, I cannot stream that music to my Squeezebox3 or any other non-Apple device for that matter. That really sucks because my computer speakers are crap compared to my SL3's.
There is a proprietary solution - the Apple Airport Express allows you to stream audio from iTunes over 802.11g, and has an optical-out jack so you can feed digital straight to your preamp. I was under the impression that you can still burn copies of your iTunes to CD, so you could then re-rip those for your Squeezebox - admittedly, an arcane additional step.

As to the RIAA and whether duping your CDs or converting them to other devices is legal, they talk out of both sides of their mouths. Here is a quote directly from the RIAA's own site:

"If you choose to take your own CDs and make copies for yourself on your computer or portable music player, that's great. It's your music and we want you to enjoy it at home, at work, in the car and on the jogging trail. "

http://www.riaa.com/issues/ask/default.asp#stand
 

twich54

Forum Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
6,590
Reaction score
24
Location
SE Pa
Holly Molly !!! Thats why I still love vinyl !!!!! Who says being a nehanderthal(I'm sur I misspelled the shit out of that !!) dosen't have it's advantages !!
 

Joey_V

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
4,379
Reaction score
0
Location
Dallas, TX
Now the RIAA says that ripping your OWN CDs into an ipod is not fair use. WTH? So what's the point of my ipod then??
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
ipod...

Joey_V said:
Now the RIAA says that ripping your OWN CDs into an ipod is not fair use. WTH? So what's the point of my ipod then??
Joey,

I don't know, I think it would look kinda pretty as a very expensive paper weight. :eek:

But Seriously, I find it very sad and makes me mad that the RIAA is ignoring past practise / presedent and sticking it to the consumer. I really think socailxray is 100% correct, 'with in two years or less No more copying anything...' :(
 

SteveInNC

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
480
Reaction score
0
Location
Research Triangle, NC
Robin said:
Joey,

I don't know, I think it would look kinda pretty as a very expensive paper weight. :eek:

But Seriously, I find it very sad and makes me mad that the RIAA is ignoring past practise / presedent and sticking it to the consumer. I really think socailxray is 100% correct, 'with in two years or less No more copying anything...' :(
Well, they want to ignore past precedent, court rulings, et al, but it remains to be seen if the courts will let them. The biggest concern is that Congress will write new legislation specifically bowing to the $$AAs' wishes. Existing rulings and precedent are based on the current laws as written - those can be changed...
 

Yang1815

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 30, 2005
Messages
239
Reaction score
0
Location
Omaha, NE
socialxray said:
My only problem with downloading music is that to my knowledge no one currently offers lossless audio yet.

Also DRM is a big issue for me. If I buy from iTunes, because of their Digital Restrictions Management, I cannot stream that music to my Squeezebox3 or any other non-Apple device for that matter. That really sucks because my computer speakers are crap compared to my SL3's.
No kidding... I highly doubt CDs would be obsolete... Well, if it does it won't be replaced by online stores... The quality is still different.

In addition, you could stream the music to airport express hooked up with optical to your speakers...
 

socialxray

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
273
Reaction score
0
Location
Apple Valley, CA
Yeah I could shell out the extra money to Apple and get their solution but the Squeezebox3 is much better than the Airport Express and a lot more flexible (I'll leave it to the interested to do the comparison for themselves). But because of DRM I have to do what Apple tells me if I want to listen to my music (that I paid for from iTunes) in a certain way.

Which brings me to another point. Please don't be fooled into thinking that DRM is forced upon us to stop piracy. No no. Pirates will always get their music while we needlessly suffer. Please understand it is about making money with the Apple situation being a perfect example.

What logical reason would Apple have to not license its DRM to 3rd parties? Why would Apple not allow its DRMed music to be streamed to a Squeezebox3 or some other device?

Are they afraid that the device would be able to copy the music? No not really. That sort of thing would be handled in the licensing agreement and if a 3rd party doesn't want to play by the rules, well then they do not get a license to play music bought from iTunes.

Wait. Is it because it forces people into sticking with their iPods and Airport Expresses for the rest of their lives? Bingo!! Yes many people are very happy with these products and that is fine. But I want better (which by the way is what this hobby is all about).

Sure you can burn your songs to a CD but ripping them to an iPod (and only an iPod) is more convienent. What is more convienent than carrying around an iPod? Well streaming the music to where ever you are of course. It also allows you to get better quality sound. Oh sorry you have to stick with the Airport Express. An audiophile device if there ever was one.

Hey I am not bagging on Apple. They are only doing what any other company would and should do, and that is to make the most money they can while working inside the boundaries of the law. Right now the laws are not favorable to the consumer. We need to change that.
 

lugano

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
1,054
Reaction score
0
Location
+46° 1' 26.41", +8° 57' 5.40" (Switzerland)
socialxray said:
I made a prediction that in 2 years CDs will be unrippable....Anyways read the article and tell me what you think.
I think the following:

1) If it's playable, it's rippable. And it always will be. On the Mac we got Audio Hijack (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/) and on other platforms such tools exist too.

2) Apple's success with its iTunes, iPods and Music Store is filling lots of people's blood veins with 100% pure greed. Lawyers research like mad any class action they could start, other players in the same area try to denigrate instead of coming up with better products, music companies feel they don't get enough cake etc etc and guess who is loosing in the final act ?
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
Apple's Success...

lugano said:
I think the following:

1) If it's playable, it's rippable. And it always will be. On the Mac we got Audio Hijack (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/) and on other platforms such tools exist too.

2) Apple's success with its iTunes, iPods and Music Store is filling lots of people's blood veins with 100% pure greed. Lawyers research like mad any class action they could start, other players in the same area try to denigrate instead of coming up with better products, music companies feel they don't get enough cake etc etc and guess who is loosing in the final act ?
lugano,

Welcome to the ML Club!
Many companies are now baggin' off of Apple's iPod. I agree greed is the motivating factor for this effort to stop all copying of music.
I like your Avatar, it kinda feels like a 'Hunk, Hunk a Burning Love'... :D

It is good to have you here. :D
 
Top