What are they thinking?!*The ANTI-Robin thread*

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooh.. never thought I'd see a Nohr speaker labeled as ugly..

Joey ;)

I think the Jamos look fine in the right color.

How about older Brystons.... I couldn't tell for sure who made these apmlifiers first, I had to do some digging around to find the name of the manufacturer :p

smr_ces_038.jpg

I will admit, in rosewood... the 802 is one goofy looking speaker.

Even goofy'er in person in any finish. They sort of look like a pedistal with a headlight or bowling ball on top upon which someone has laid a microphone.

The best part about The Summit is everyone asks....what's that!

No Way....That steel support on the rear is made from Ultra-High Quality Audiophile Grade Steel, only made once per year by a very skilled metals person tucked away in a moutain somewhere in Mongolia. Well worth the extra cost.

Dan
I reckon the support bar is a concession to necessity.

Actually, I do like the Jamos from a design perspective. It is reduced to the bones. One could not remove any more elements (such as the bar) without seriously compromising function. They look cool in a geeky fashion. For that I might be tempted to get a pair if they cost $1k or less.

B&W speakers remind me of Mars. You know, bug-eyed monsters of the Red Planet? I don't think they look ugly, though. You want ugly, think of Wilsons.

B&W speakers remind me of Mars. You know, bug-eyed monsters of the Red Planet? I don't think they look ugly, though. You want ugly, think of Wilsons.

I will agree that certain Wilsons look ugly, namely the Maxx2. But I think that in certain colors and design schemes, the WP8, Sophia2, and the Alexandria (in Red or Black) look absolutely killer.

I will say though, the new Wilson bookshelf is the ugliest I have seen the company produce.

I present to you, the Wilson Duette.... ugliest bookshelf speaker of all time. Yes, of ALL TIME.
Duette_Enviro-2cropped_smal.jpg

Not impressed with BW 802s at ALL.

They get loud but that's about it for me :)

When I sold B&W we had the 802 nautilus setup in a dedicated room with killer electronics. They sounded amazing. This was when the requests were a current model and although the 802 cost twice as much the sound justified it. The build quality also added to the value. The looks of them can be debated (same with our beloved logans) but the craftsmanship really is on the mark. Dont get me wrong I love the transparency of Logans but 802's with some strong monoblocks became a tough act to follow. Abbey Road Studios uses 801's in their main mixing room and they have some of the best recordings on the planet.

I like unique looking speakers...that is what drew me to ML's in the first place, same with the MBL 101's...I just can't keep my eyes off of them and everyone askes what the hell they are! They don't even look like speakers.

I DON'T like the look of ANY of the Wilson product, or the B&W products, or those multi box black things that are pictured somewhere on this thread. They may all sound amazing...maybe even better than my Prodigy, but I have no desire in the LEAST to own any of them!

I do like the Duevel speakers though! Again another very odd design that just catches my eye and my imagination! I will have a pair of those someday! Probably put them in a zone 2 location...hmmmm :D

http://www.cd-konzert.com/loudspeaker.htm

Here Lugano.....

sick.gif

Thanks, Beat, for the smiley and for the Maney pic, too - I badly wanted to post a Manley pic but did not want to offend the tubed people around here :)

EveAnna sure knows her stuff, but their gear and website are so die-hard Harley Davidson style...I've got nothing against Harley but hey, motorcycles belong to the streets and HiFi gear belongs to our apartments. Form should follow function and some aestetics sure does help integrating the gear in our sanctuaries.

Attachments

• westminster_royal_Gon-off.jpg
    westminster_royal_Gon-off.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
I find the "wavy" lines on these Edge amplifiers to be a little goofy.

Sig1linerackfrontleft.jpg

..but then there is the little pyramid thingy :p

one-amp-in-listening-room.jpg

I still think these DC Gold speakers that were shown at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest last fall are some of the most Gawd Awful looking things I've ever seen. I'll say it again, these things REEK of Vegas Whorehouse kitch. The etched material in the glass below the drivers would change colour all the while, and they were very proud of the fact that they would etch any pattern you wanted and had some samples of things like butterflies and unicorns. I feel a bit whooky on the retelling of these events....

The sound was about on par with the appearance, that is to say stunningly terrible.

Attachments

• DCGold01.jpg
    DCGold01.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 227
Back