Vignette or Fresco Anyone ? Your thoughts are welcomed !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uk Ml

Reading this thread makes me glad to be in the UK. OK, I have to travel about 25 miles to my nearest ML dealer, but my dealer always has a high level of knowledge and always gives people the time they need. I spent several hours there when I bought my MLs.

As an example, I bought my MLs quite some time ago, and recently arranged to go back to audition some other kit. When I got there, they'd already set up the speakers and amp that I have at home ready for me to audition on - and I didn't have to tell them what it was, they remembered.

If I didn't get service like that, I wouldn't go back.

Cheers,

David

David ......I'm moving !!!!!!!!!!! That is how it should be. Maybe where you are the position of sales staff is filled by more than college kids "finding a job" to please their parents. I do want to make it clear NOT all of these establishments are run this way over here David, there are some stores that have professional sales people, some that are very knowledgable, I guess I'm on a bad luck streak ?

Wayne said:
David ......I'm moving !!!!!!!!!!! That is how it should be. Maybe where you are the position of sales staff is filled by more than college kids "finding a job" to please their parents. I do want to make it clear NOT all of these establishments are run this way over here David, there are some stores that have professional sales people, some that are very knowledgable, I guess I'm on a bad luck streak ?

You could say that. Some low and mid-fi stores employ staff who don't care (i.e. the big chains such as Seven Oaks Sound & Vision). This isn't true of the high-end dealers stocking ML, Krell, Meridian etc.

My ML dealer has three staff - 1 is the owner, 1 the admin / finance / bookings person and 1 is an audiophile employee. However, the display / demo systems in the shop will blow your bank balance (i.e. all the Krell FPBs, Wadias dCs, Bel Canto etc - all available for demo).

No surprise that I'm happy to travel to this dealer!

Cheers,

David

DavidG said:
Reading this thread makes me glad to be in the UK. OK, I have to travel about 25 miles to my nearest ML dealer, but my dealer always has a high level of knowledge and always gives people the time they need. I spent several hours there when I bought my MLs.

As an example, I bought my MLs quite some time ago, and recently arranged to go back to audition some other kit. When I got there, they'd already set up the speakers and amp that I have at home ready for me to audition on - and I didn't have to tell them what it was, they remembered.

If I didn't get service like that, I wouldn't go back.

Cheers,

David

This was my experience with the dealer here in Austin as well. They were very helpful, and willing to setup whatever combination I wanted, as long as it was in stock. They have since offered to let me try some of the items still on my wish list in my own home.

My brother was recently shopping for a HT setup is a slightly lower price range and I told him to accept nothing less as well.

Bottom line is that in this price range, there is absolutely no excuse to not get a good demo and sales support. I'm glad to hear that ML is trying to fix this for you. There is not sense in them having a dealer that is going to represent them in this way.

I just mentioned on one of my other threads that when I returned home I found a new email from ML HDQ, stating the Tweeter store I went to for a demo a month ago WAS sent the power cables....... Maybe a demo is coming soon... if they call.!!!!!!!!!!

attyonline said:
Randy what did you think of the Vignettes? Its a two hour drive from Indy to Cincy so I need some positive feedback before I consider the trip :)

Bump Randy? :)

All I can say is "me too"

Wow. Does everyone have to go through this just to get Martin Logans?

I was about to buy some nice speakers -- probably Rockets or DefTechs. Then I stumbled on the Mosaic/Montages. Considering I've always drooled over MLs, I decided to extend my budget a bit and give these a fair shake. I look online, and find that the only dealer that isn't a state away (even in the places I travel to, like DC and Seattle) is Tweeter. So I go over there, despite my better judgement.

Pleasant surprise. Mosaics are "being discontinued" (can anyone confirm this and why?) and they have them at a great closeout price. Sweet. Oh, but not in the finish I'd want anyway.

On to the audition. Hookup Denon AVR 3805, which is what I have at home. I don't have in my budget seperate amps. Mosaics sound great. Weak on the bass. Crossover probably set on the amp. No biggie, since I need to buy a sub anyway. Can't make the subs work. I chalk it up to this being a brand new showroom and decide to move on.

I want to compare the Montages. Don't cary them. Fresco center is poorly placed. Vingette is only setup for LR mains (why?!?). Try to compare the Clarity (which I assume I can grow into, since it is 6 ohm, it might work with my AVR). Clarity sounds worse than any speaker I've ever heard, even my PC speaker. Didn't think to check to see if they were plugged in or not, but I think I saw a blue light on them? I'll go back and check.

Next, the sales guys (jokingly, I think) try to get me to check out their $14K ML setup. Uh. Right. I can't afford seperate amps right now, but I'll buy $14K worth of speakers.

Bottom line is -- does ML really want to sell speakers? I know right now, I'm probably at the low end of their market. But I intend to "grow into" nicer ones. I shouldn't have to drive 250 miles one way to get a decent audition.

Yes, I placed my order anyway. What choice do I have? Seriously. Should I call a ML sales rep?

Last edited:
I know they are not all that bad. I have dealt with a few ML dealers and they are willing to work with you. For peace of mind call the factory and let them know what you stated hear. I think they may be able to get you in touch with other more reputable reps. Dan, DTB300, lives in the DC area and may be able to help you find a dealer in that area. I am in the opposite area, Southern California or I would do something for you. I think there are members here who live or are in the Seattle area too.
No apology necessary for not being able to afford $14k for speakers. I may be out of line, but I think the majority of us would be hard pressed to do the same or have been there.

Don't give up. The beauty of this board is that we do all help each other when ever it is possible.

Jeff

Thanks

Thanks for your concern. I don't want to give the wrong impression. It wasn't awful. I've had worse experiences -- but I have definitely had better. I can always try to go back and give them another chance. I did buy my TV there, and it could be the new room setup or an inexperienced rep.

I'm actually in the Charlotte NC area. But I had checked the other places as well.

Per your suggestion, I have followed up with ML directly to see if there is any advice they can offer to aid me in my quest.

Anyone know what Wayne finally decided on?

Last edited:
Seriously, complain directly to ML about the quality of the demo. ML expects their dealers to demo their speakers in the best light possible. I know for a fact that the Clarity is an excellent speaker, esp above 50hz. If it sounded bad, that is strictly dealer incompetence and carelessness. I wonder how many customers have been turned off of ML due to this kind of incompetence?? :mad:

Ironic77 said:
Wow. Does everyone have to go through this just to get Martin Logans?I was about to buy some nice speakers -- probably Rockets or DefTechs. Then I stumbled on the Mosaic/Montages. Considering I've always drooled over MLs, I decided to extend my budget a bit and give these a fair shake. I look online, and find that the only dealer that isn't a state away (even in the places I travel to, like DC and Seattle) is Tweeter. So I go over there, despite my better judgement.

There are a couple of ML Dealers in the DC area besides Tweeter. Let me know the next time you are in town, or better yet give me some heads up time and I can call around and see what I can find for you.

Dan

30-day in home guarantee

Call it an impulse buy, but the good news is my 30 day trial period has just begun. I am not 100% confident that I have the right speakers (would I have been better off with Clarity or Montage?), but I am confident that I like these (Mosaics & Fresco) so far (Fresco/center might need some serious tweaking which is funny because it cost considerably more!!!). After the break-in period is over and I've fiddled with the locations a bit more, upgraded my speaker wire, then the true tests begin. If I like what I hear, then I might be upgrading the rears and buying a sub too. At the moment I'm still adjusting my ears to the dipole nature of these speakers. And I still need to go back to try the Claritys again, though I'm starting to think they won't fit my application too well anyway.

Still no word from ML. I may need to call them though since my warranty card and manual were missing for the Mosaics. Thanks for the offers to help. Between the 30-day in home trial, closeout, and the support of this forum, I was convinced to pull the trigger in spite of the difficulties. I am not convinced that someone with less experience in MLs would have done the same though.

Hello Ironic77,
Did you say you bought the Mosaic's.... and that they were highly discounted? To answer your question about what did Wayne do, NOTHING ! I have been engaged in alot of work, BUT have been waiting for a call from Tweeter since I know they have the power cables they didn't have at the time of my demo. Time is passing and I feel that time is wasting as well. Can you tell us Ironic how much of a discount on the "closeout of the Mosaic?. That might be the push some of us need, also my local "snob store" has not yet set up the Vignettes as per my call to them as of Monday past. I gave Tweeter till today before contacting ML to let them know STILL no followup from Tweeter. You know when you work alot you want to reward yourself sometimes. I just find it hard to comprehend the lack of Tweeter's management's poor memory to try to right a wrong. I currently own speakers from another manufacturer I use in another part of the house ...they have called me announcing that they have the new speakers using a diamond tweeter and that they have them in stock... this was a purchase years ago, Why can't Tweeter remember someone who was there 5 weeks ago?

I did it !!!!!
I just emailed ML to tell them about Tweeter's lack of communication, reading all your great input, Jeff/DTB/Attyonline/Ironic77/ really got me in the "speaker mood". I regretably must go to work but hope to come home to some good news and more great info from club members.

Hello Everyone!!!
Just called my local high end store "the snob store" about the Mosaic discontinuance... they told me that they are not taking anymore orders for Mosaic's other than what they have in stock or at other locations. They are not discounting them however,"typical"... They mentioned that something to replace them with should be instore in 90-120 days.. But no other clues were given, anybody else have more info?

More info !!!
Late Friday I contacted the Tweeter store that I had visited 5 weeks ago, WITHOUT saying who I was. I asked about the discountinuance of the Mosaic, I was told that they Tweeter were selling the Mosaic's at a price of $688.00 each while they lasted $1000.00 MSRP. Finish was limited so I might want to call other areas if I could not find the one I wanted or call customer service. I found the gentlemen on the phone helpful and full of patience " a nice relief ", he stated that he was told the Mosaic's were going to be replaced with some other ML's that were coming out. I write this to all of you who are considering Mosaic's since the pricing is right at this time and I was told Tweeter would ship for free!!!! Now I will stop hogging up all the current comments on this thread "for now" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I continue to be amazed that the Vignettes have been out for months and judging by the responses on this site and others, virtually no one has heard them :confused: My local dealer does not even have any in store to hear in the showroom. I think I will give up on them and move on to some other brand. I think I will try out the Magneplanar MMG-W for surrounds. Much less expensive and sixty day tryout period. Interested if I can make them work in my room. Will let all of you know what I do.

What bothers me is that you can not find a store that has them. I have heard them on two diffrent occasions. I am not looking for surround speakers but if I was I would definitley consider these. They had a very amazingly full sound for such a small speaker.

Ok now I will confess that I only listened to them for a total of about 15 minutes with music. They were amazing as far as detail and the amount of bass that I was expecting. I heard them on their optional stands. I would think that with a sub this would be a great combination.

Jeff

When you heard the Vignettes were they on floor or table stands?

Attyonline,
Be advised that someone on Ebay has 5 Vignettes total for sale.. pricing is $495.00 each and $35.00 shipping per unit. Now all we have to do is hear them, Also they have several other item including a Fresco..

Back