They're here! They're here! My Summits are Here!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcl

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
:D :rocker: :cheers: :clap:
Yes, ladies and gents, boy and girls, now sitting prominently in my living room are ... ta daaa ... my new Summits!! WooHoo! Yippee!

(Ok, so technically they're used as I bought them from an audiophile downsizing his system. But they're new to me!)

The only thing I'm bummed about is I won't be able to swap the Summits, Sunfire TGA 7400, and Sunfire TGP-5 into my system until the middle of next week! Sigh.

It doesn't matter, though. This probably sounds silly, but just having them sitting there, in all of their glory, gives me a smile in contentment. (And I haven't even listened to them yet!) I don't remember the last time I was looking forward this much to new equipment.

On a side note, these are really good looking speakers. I love my Ascents, but the Summits sitting off to the side of them just draw your eyes away. I remember when I started researching these speakers I found a number of folks in this forum that thought the look of the Summits was a big disadvantage. I strongly disagree. To me, the Summits just look like better speakers. Weird. (Or, more likely, an ML conditioned viewpoint.)

Last edited:
Yay! Any time someone gets their new stuff is a time for a PARTY!

partytime.gif

We'll need some photos for sure! And of course a review of some sort ;)

Congratulations on your new Summits. One BIG advantage of buying these babies pre-loved, is that you won't have to spend hours running them in. Hopefully the previous owner has run up sufficient hours for you to enjoy them now...

Oh yes!!! I can read it in your post, you are just like I was when I first got them!!!

And no... if you treat them right and give them the right electronics.... you will NEVER think any less of them!

Welcome... to refereeeeence!!! My opinion, as flawed as it may be, is that from here on out, it's all about preference baby.... and the Summits have my ears for the moment and many moments from now!

Good job with the acquisition.... here's the *secret ML Summit handshake*.... dont let anyone else see.

*Shhhhhh*....

Your resident lunatic,
Joey :) :D

Congratulations!!!

Ken,

:D Excellent!

Your Summits should give your ears lovely listening pleasure and satisfied sonic nirvana. :D :p Will you be moving your Ascent's to the surround position?

Enjoy you wonderful Summits... :D

Attachments

• Funny Face.jpg
    Funny Face.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 248
Thanks, everyone. Once I get them integrated into my system I'll post some pixs. In the meantime, I was going to add a picture of them unpacked and in all of their glory. However, I'm ashamed to admit I didn't how to get it into a form that I could attach. You folks have obviously got this process down to a science (Robin? Are you there? ;) ), would somebody like to share? Pretty please?

What's even more embarrassing is that I've been in the computer field for almost forty years, and have been working with email, forums, lists, and the like for well over twenty. Its just that I 'grew up' in a text-only environment (does anybody else here remember 110 and 330 baud?) and I never got into dealing with photos and such. I've written compilers, operating systems, and development tools in literally dozens of computer languages, but I can't figure out photos. How sad is that? :eek:

Take a digital picture, send/save to desktop. Convert (if necessary) to a low or medium resolution (smaller file size). Post a new message, or just reply on this thread. Below the text entry box is a button for managing attachments. Click, upload from your desktop, and voila!

If you are using Windows XP, I highly recommend the MS Power Toys Image Resizer (free), available here...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Congratulations on your new Summits. One BIG advantage of buying these babies pre-loved, is that you won't have to spend hours running them in. Hopefully the previous owner has run up sufficient hours for you to enjoy them now...
The fellow I bought them from was what I would call a true audiophile, striving to get the perfect sound in a perfect room. These were apparently his forth or fifth set of Logans, and he swears they're the best speakers he's ever owned. In his words, they have been "lovingly used" for over a year. (He also said that he thougt it took 500 hours before they were fully broken in.)

I wouldn't even have considered buying used speakers of this quality without being able to talk to the seller to find out why they were being sold and, more importantly, how they had been treated. I was delighted to find out the he felt exactly the same about the buyer! It just turns out that I caught him at one of those times that we all get in our lives where you have to sacrifice in one area to be able to accomplish something in another. His family (kids of 2, 4, and 6 I believe) has grown to a point where they needed to 'consume' his dedicated listening room. He flatly states, though, that he'll own Summits again. Just not right now.

Take a digital picture, send/save to desktop. Convert (if necessary) to a low or medium resolution (smaller file size). Post a new message, or just reply on this thread. Below the text entry box is a button for managing attachments. Click, upload from your desktop, and voila!

If you are using Windows XP, I highly recommend the MS Power Toys Image Resizer (free), available here...
Thanks. I've been using TweakUI for years, and didn't know this was also available.

With that said, and all goes well, here are my summits unpacked and in all their (unconnected) glory:

Attachments

• P2240027 (Medium).JPG
    P2240027 (Medium).JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 244
The fellow I bought them from was what I would call a true audiophile, striving to get the perfect sound in a perfect room. These were apparently his forth or fifth set of Logans, and he swears they're the best speakers he's ever owned. In his words, they have been "lovingly used" for over a year. (He also said that he thougt it took 500 hours before they were fully broken in.)

I wouldn't even have considered buying used speakers of this quality without being able to talk to the seller to find out why they were being sold and, more importantly, how they had been treated. I was delighted to find out the he felt exactly the same about the buyer!

I was very fortunate to acquire my Summits in similar fashion. It's nice when audiophiles go the extra mile to find a suitable home for their cherished gear. Just think of them as having been pre-broken in for you, with a nice discount to boot!

Just wait till you HEAR them!

Come on hook them up....to anything so they are playing. I could not wait. I had someone come over to help me carry them upstairs and by the time he got here I was done. I was like a monkey on meth taking them out of the box and carrying them upstairs.:D

Waaaay to much patience for me. These guys on this forum start taling about extended Summit spikes and I've got them in process.

anyway congrats and enjoy. Placement, placement & mo placement. IMO they s*ck to get right but when you do. WOW! They're Great! What a shameless plug for my team.

Congrats

I feel like I am watching one of those miracle shows the way you people sound when you get your summits. Its not like they are revolutionizing the way you live! Oh wait-they are--Now I am jealous! Now I hate you! j/k

Dominick

Brilliant!

Ken,

:D Your Summits are looking fine soooo fine my man... :D Gesus they are gonna sound spectacular, just you wait and listen. I can feel it, glorious sonic nirvana for the ears... :D

You are so lucky... :cheers:

Attachments

• Dancing Smiles.gif
    Dancing Smiles.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 161
They look great. You have more patience than I do. I would have hooked them up to anything just to hear them. :D

Yes I do remember 110 & 300 baud and we won't even go in to punch cards. LOL:eek:

Jeff:cool:

They look great. You have more patience than I do. I would have hooked them up to anything just to hear them.

Yes I do remember 110 & 300 baud and we won't even go in to punch cards. LOL
Well, yesterday (Friday) was 'code freeze' on the first field-test release of a 18-20 man-year project that I'm a lead design for. For you non-computer types out there, what this really means is that code freeze is actually at 8am next Monday morning. :D (Let's just say that there's a lot of folks working this weekend.)

If it was just me, I'd probably of packed it in already, hooked them up, and be listening by now. Unfortunately, there's a whole team of folks working to get this finished, and I keep hearing from hyperventilating team members that THERE'S ONLY 42 HOURS LEFT UNTIL 8AM MONDAY. Ah, technology at its finest. :rolleyes:

Superior looking speakers! Natural Cherry and black is one of my favorite schemes...

And your house looks sooo nice from that little pic... congrats on everything!

Joey :cheers:

PS
You did get the Summit handshake didnt you? :p

Back