The Really Tasty Gear Thread - With Pictures!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a colleague tinkering for an SME 3009 at work at the moment. He's always wanted one, and is keeping his eye on ebay.

When I asked him what he'd do with it , he said "I'll put it on the mantlepiece".

Bit of a shame, but hey;)

Look after it, Jeff.

There's a colleague tinkering for an SME 3009 at work at the moment. He's always wanted one, and is keeping his eye on ebay.

When I asked him what he'd do with it , he said "I'll put it on the mantlepiece".

Bit of a shame, but hey;)

Look after it, Jeff.

Will do. There's a guy up in Canada that completely rebuilds and rewires them. Thinking about sending mine up there, but honestly, it's working just fine for now. I'll be keeping all of the SME arms forever!

Until the turntable upgrade, I still have my SME 3009 Type III since I bought it new back in the early 80's, maybe late 70's? Of course the cartridge has been changed many times, Shure, Stanton 681-EEE, Supex, Shure V15 III, and now a Benz Micro M2. Upgraditis is a knocking though...

Attachments

• Technics SL-1100A 007.jpg
    Technics SL-1100A 007.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 437
  • Technics SL-1100A 017.jpg
    Technics SL-1100A 017.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 534
Speaking of Technics, here's a little jewel I picked up yesterday...

I'm loving this baby, for recording those 45 rpm Blue Notes at 15 ips! No more getting up to change the record every eight minutes!

Attachments

• 1500.jpg
    1500.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 431
It sure is Jeff, what a gem and it is great to see!

I still have my TEAC A3340S 1/4" 1/4 track 4 channel reel-to-reel...ain't giving it up either! 7 1/2 or 15 ips, 10 1/2" reels ,lovin it all the way. Would have liked to pick up a good 1/4" 1/2 track...choices choices...

Last edited:

I'm loving this baby, for recording those 45 rpm Blue Notes at 15 ips! No more getting up to change the record every eight minutes!

Jeff, is that one of the J-Corder refurbs? :drool:

Jeff, is that one of the J-Corder refurbs? :drool:

Yes.

I spent the afternoon with Jeff, watching what goes into one of these and it's impressive. He strips every one down to the bare bones, checks every bit out, and rebuilds them step by step.

Even though his decks are rock solid, should something ever fail, he's got enough spares to outlast most of us!

Nice guy and meticulous work. If you've ever wanted to jump off the cliff, J-Corder is the way to go. And it will play 2 track/IEC for Tape Project tapes as well...

Jeff, do you have the equipment required to optimize the bias for different tape formulations?

I don't, I'm sticking with the ATR tape. Other than Quantegy, there isn't much blank tape left to speak of....

The results I got with ATR were just fine and it's readily available.

That's a 1520? If I recall, the only machine in the 1500 series that switches between NAB/IEC, unless Jeff did some internal mods. Nice machine; handles tape well.

Tj

That's a Tascam rack that they painted the same Porsche Black. It's a heavy duty rack designed for that deck. The deck weighs almost 70 lbs. There are about 8 rack mount spaces on the bottom part of the rack, plenty of room for a Manley Massive Passive... :)

Darn you guys. I used to be a huge open-reel enthusiast, but managed to put that behind me. Now you have me lusting again, and this time it is really out of the question financially. :(

That's a Tascam rack that they painted the same Porsche Black. It's a heavy duty rack designed for that deck. The deck weighs almost 70 lbs. There are about 8 rack mount spaces on the bottom part of the rack, plenty of room for a Manley Massive Passive... :)

heheh that's what I was thinking...

Back