The Really Tasty Gear Thread - With Pictures!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old tech just looks better & tastier, I think. It's easy to see why.

Granted. And maybe because most of my non-speaker gear is in an equipment room, I just don't care that much about looks.

But even the lone transport that does sit in the room is just a black box I really don't give a hoot what it looks like as long as it performs.

But then, this thread is about 'tasty' gear :D

What we need are more examples of 'modern' well designed gear, and several instances do occur in this thread.

What we need are more examples of 'modern' well designed gear, and several instances do occur in this thread.

Well, Jon, we're waiting... with baited breath...:)

10KW amp - hm, that ought to spank a Scintilla.:devil:

I've heard of the long arm of the law, but what the heck is this?:D

http://www.tnt-audio.com/shows/munich08b_e.html
h08_3549.jpg

I have seen this at Rossner and Son. No further comment.

Well...theoretically, the pivot point being as far away as possible would result in a much larger radius to track thus reducing the tracking angle error? It does look pretty wacky though.

Looks like a recipe for kitty limbo. My cat would LOVE that setup.

OK, my center is pretty extreme, but this guy takes the prize for 'extreme' center channel design.

Not that I agree with the approach (horizontal, flat and wide is just wrong IMHO). But kudos for perseverance in even implementing a beast with 132 tweeters !

Attachments

• the new center 1.jpg
    the new center 1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 575
...Now all he has to do is get three "cross-legged" chairs for the centre channel, turn the Left & Right Fronts into linear arrays and he's good to go !!! :D:D

...Now all he has to do is get three "cross-legged" chairs for the centre channel, turn the Left & Right Fronts into linear arrays and he's good to go !!! :D:D

Uh, you missed that fact that the center goes into his home theater with matching line source speakers.

Again, props to a guy who bolts his speakers to the floor AND the ceiling :D

Infinite%20line%202%20in%20Aura.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Kinda strange but these might actually work. A tall line source for main speakers (just like electrostatic MLs). A wide curved center channel (compare to "curvilinear" ideology of MLs), interesting...

Uh, you missed that fact that the center goes into his home theater with matching line source speakers.

Again, props to a guy who bolts his speakers to the floor AND the ceiling :D

Sorry...I blinked and missed your embedded link Jonathan...This guy does indeed take his HT seriously!
It is a stark contrast to the single voice/single speaker philosophy ;) :D

Cheers................Victor

Eye - ear candy

A feast for the eyes, if not necessarily for the ears.

If you have a modern decor, with a huge room, and are not quite sure where to put some regular speakers, you might be interested in these beauties.

Made of Corian, and integrating an omnidirectional speaker system and some lighting, this can be placed in any modern living room and provide reasonable background sound.

Sure beats a big old box that points only one way ;)

More on it here.

Attachments

• squeezephone-opener.jpg
    squeezephone-opener.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 318
  • squeezophone-1.jpg
    squeezophone-1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 313
  • squeezophone-2.jpg
    squeezophone-2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 312
Wow! Kinda strange but these might actually work. A tall line source for main speakers (just like electrostatic MLs). A wide curved center channel (compare to "curvilinear" ideology of MLs), interesting...

Oh, line sources are not new, they are one of the best speaker topologies I know. If I could not have ML's here's what I'd have:

Wisdom Audio produces a stunning (and expensive) home theater setup that is very, very hard to beat. I heard this setup at the 2009 CES and was stunned. Best audio I've heard outside my own system.

With their awesome in-wall sub system, one can have outstanding audio performance with minimal decor impact.
This is what I recommend to a guy who tells me he wants ultimate audio, but minimal WAF side effects.

The idea is you build in (or now use on-wall versions) the line arrays behind your screen:

Attachments

• sage-opener.jpg
    sage-opener.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 312
And the perfect complement to the Wisdom system is the BG BGX-4850 in-wall subwoofer system.

Supporting up to 4 units (two on front wall, two on rear wall), this smoothly energizes the room for best balance, and their unique, motion-canceling design means no wall vibration, just clean bass.

Again, for a low visual impact or room space disturbance, this is one of the best ways to get quality bass.

Read the stunning review over at S&V mag.

Attachments

• bgradia_bgx4850-2.jpg
    bgradia_bgx4850-2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 311
You've no respect, Fish. That's a very nice piece of mechanical engineering from days gone by. I take it you won't be eating that particular tasty morsel, then:D

To be honest, I expect if you tried that arm now, you'd be surprised how damn good it is. I don't know that, of course, because that's a custom jobbie I've never heard, but I just tend to suspect it'll be very good indeed...

Agreed, that SME is great! Just picked one up thanks to ML club member Jeff Zaret and it's sounding sweet on my Oracle Delphi V, with Soundsmith cartridge...

Love the modern SME arms too, but the old 3009 is fantastic!

Back