System #67 (CLS)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

zelimir

1. My name is Zelimir Frigan, and I live in Zagreb , Croatia.

2. I am long term Cls 2z user. I bought 1992 cls2z which served me great, and decide to change panels for latest generation on 2z’s, due to slight lost in output on one of the panels. Big plus is that with the new panels came newly upgraded electronics. All this happened just before M-L
Ceased production.

3. I almost exclusively listen to the LP’s. Not that I have something against digital media, but when time is limited and musical enjoyment is priority, the small silver disc somehow never reach the cd player.

3. My turntable is Rega P9 turntable with 1000 tone arm, and is quite a bit modified.
The cartridge is ZYX Airy 2x Cosmos (naked)
The preamp is Klyne SK-6, and the power amplifier is Sunfire 300
The cables are XLO Signature 2 as pre-power link and Reference 2 5a as a speaker cable
The subwoofer is REL Strata 3
There are a Marantz 2130 tuner as well, and Yamaha cd player

4. As the mods of the speakers is concerned, I have made them quite a few, as can be seen from the pictures.
Almost all mods are with regard to the special stand which I made after thorough consideration of all aspects of CLS’es working principles.

They are of the floor for 260 mm ( this height was chosen after raising them little by little up to 500 mm, and lowering them back for several times) .

They are tilted back for couple of degrees (after serious experimentation as well).

One of the main features of these stands is that the electronic box is separated from the speaker and was put on the shelf behind the speakers. The shelf itself is on the spikes protruding from the stand upwards, and the additional spikes was put beneath electronic box on top of which 10 mm steel plate was put as a additional weight.

According to the fact that the speaker itself if beautiful piece of art, I did not want to surround the wooden frames with all these steel frames so, they were hidden as much was possible behind the speakers itself, letting that visible part remains only above, and below the speaker.

Of course, complete stand is one piece fully welded frame with another fully welded frame which was put beneath as a height raiser, and both frames were filled with quartz sand.

Attachments

• Resize of ML1.jpg
    Resize of ML1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 3,192
  • Resize of ML4.jpg
    Resize of ML4.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,982
  • Resize of ML5.jpg
    Resize of ML5.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 3,042
  • Resize of ML7.jpg
    Resize of ML7.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 3,182
  • Resize of ML2.jpg
    Resize of ML2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 4,146
wow, that is really nice.... and love the tweaks. what rack are you using for your electronics and what cones/points?

Welcome Zelimir... thanks for sharing your photos. It looks like you are have wonderful set-up that really lets you get involved in to the music. I haven't heard the cls' yet, but someday I hope too....I can only imagine how great they sound.

How's the ML dealer near you? Are there many ML enthusiasts in Horvatska?

PS- I drove through your country about 3 months ago (Dubrovnik) and think it's a little piece of Heaven on Earth. I would move there in a heart beat.

Anthony A. said:
wow, that is really nice.... and love the tweaks. what rack are you using for your electronics and what cones/points?

Thank you for your kind words.
Actually, I use the racks , cones and various gadgets from my own production, because I own a company which produces racks and stands for audio use.

SugarMedia said:
Welcome Zelimir... thanks for sharing your photos. It looks like you are have wonderful set-up that really lets you get involved in to the music. I haven't heard the cls' yet, but someday I hope too....I can only imagine how great they sound.

How's the ML dealer near you? Are there many ML enthusiasts in Horvatska?

PS- I drove through your country about 3 months ago (Dubrovnik) and think it's a little piece of Heaven on Earth. I would move there in a heart beat.

The ML dealer in Croatia is the guy who was the first importer of real audio goodies in Croatia. He is an passionate audiofile , and due to his efforts in Croatia exists quite a good deal of ML, Rowland, Audio Research, Avalon and Theta gear today.

p.s. Thank you for your kind words, and come back soon...

I love the stands.I may try something similar and mount a mono block amp directly linked to the internal speaker wire, avoiding any speaker wire and speaker inputs.

Hi Zelimir,
Raanan from Jerusalem here.Beautiful and impressive stands!!!
I too have CLSIIAs.Yesterday I received the same speaker cables that you have-XLO Ref5A series 2,and so far they sound awful with the CLSs.Will they get much better after burn in?
I had once Klyne SK-6 and the 7 series,but now have a custom tube preamp with 108 EQ settings for LPs.
Raanan

I also use XLO cables.

Models 5a and 6a.

They do sound a lot better with some hours on them.

Remember to hook them up the right way 'round.

The lighter coloured side (green) is the hot leg and goes to your speaker's red terminal.

The darker coloured side goes to the black terminal.

Which is the opposite of what is shown in zelimir's pictures.

http://www.xloelectric.com/technicalsupport.php#a7

Where can we buy those stands?

Do you export (CLS stands) to the US?

Have you considered adding "damping" points at 1/3 and 2/3 up on the CLS frame?

Latest posts

Back