- Carver C1

Processors:
Behringer DEQ2496 EQ
Behringer DCX2496 Crossover

Amplifiers:
- Bob Carver Signature TFM-25's

Speakers:
- Homebuilt wire stator hybrid electrostats
- Homebuilt Ripol subs (Peerless SLS 12's)

Interconnects:
- Dayton Gold

Speaker Cables:
- Homebuilt cross-connected Belden coaxial

Rack:
Homebuilt red oak

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:
I don't actually own any Martin Logan gear (yet) but auditioning a pair of ML Summits started my whole obsession with ESL's. I was immediately hooked by the ML's spooky coherence and clarity. After that, everything else was two Dixie cups and a string.

My first homebuilt ESL's had flat perf metal panels which gave great slam and imaging but beamed like crazy (head-in-a-vise). The next iteration eliminated the head-in-a-vise effect using electrically segmented welding rod stators with switch-selectable wide and narrow dispersion modes. These had a nice balanced sound but were visually just butt ugly. Finally, my newest panels are beautiful and more finely segmented to project a perfectly curved, lobe-free wave front using oak lattice supported wire stators that look and sound like fine musical instruments.

The segmented stators tailor dispersion somewhat like a Quad ESL 63, except where the 63's stators used concentric ring conductors driven by stepped-phase signals to emulate a point-source projecting a spherical wave front, my stators use symmetrically arrayed vertical wire groups driven by stepped-phase/stepped-frequency signals to emulate a line-source projecting a cylindrical wave front.
For details and build photos see my webpage: Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page

The rest of my gear is mostly vintage Bob Carver and even though I'm a dummy with electronics, I managed to learn enough to recap & refurbish my Carver amps, preamp and CDP. I hauled my rig to the annual Carverfest retreat in NC last year-- the Bobfather loved my speakers and put his signature on my Carver amps.

Cellphone video from Carverfest

8. Image:

system 1.jpg
finished.jpg At Carverfest 2016Bob%u00252BCarver%u00252B%u00252526%u00252BMe.jpg

Article Post Pic.jpg

Last edited:

Jazzman53

Reaction score
I just built my dream speakers and I'm updating my system post to show them:

My system is now fully dipole, with OB mid-bass woofers and Ripol subs. The panels are wide-dispersion, symmetrically segmented wire-stator electrostats, and the mid-bass woofers are Peerless SLS 12's on semi-H baffles formed by the triangular base. The front and rear grills are magnetically attached. The step-up transformers, bias supplies, and segmentation resistor networks are under plexiglass at the rear of the speakers.

A video of the new speaker:

Full write up of the speaker design and build pics on my website:

A few system pics:
system grills on .jpeg

grills off .jpeg

left speaker .jpeg

back.jpeg

rack.jpg

Last edited: