System #320 (Spire, Matinee, Clarity)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnie

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Sonnie Parker

2. Location: L.A. (Lower Alabama) USA... specifically Luverne... about 50 miles south of Montgomery.

3. ML Model(s): Spires for front, Matinee for center and Clarity's for rear surrounds.

4. Year Purchased: 2009

5. Mods/Changes: None... do they really need any?

6. Associated Electronics: Onkyo 876 Receiver, Oppo Blu-ray Player, 4 x Behringer EP2500 Amps, 2 x Panamax 5300-PM, 2 x Audiopulse Axis 15 Custom Subs, 4 x Fi Audio Q-18 Custom Sub and the Universal MX-880 Remote.

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience: I have always wanted a ML system, since back in the early 90's and a couple of years ago I finally was able to put together a small system with a pair of Ascent i's, a Motif center and a pair of Fresco's for the rear. Well... the HT room they were occupying was small, we could cool it properly, so we ended up tearing it out and starting over, which leads me to where we are today.

file.php

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!! Now that is a home theater!:bowdown: What kind of subs are those in the back? That setup must ROCK:rocker:.

Glen

Ok. I went back up and read about your subs, which is what I should've done in the first place. But still......WOW!

Last edited:
Thanks Glen... and yeah... it rocks!
shakehousedown.gif

Those are four Q-18 18" drivers in the back from Fi Audio. Fi is one of our sponsors over at the Shack. They use to mainly do car audio and moved into the home theater arena for the DIY crowd.

The neat part about those Q-18's is that the enclosure they are housed in is the not only the cabinets you see them mounted in, but also the bulk of the riser is part of the enclosure. There is 80ft^3 in total enclosure volume with two 8" ports in the front of the riser tuning the enclosure to approximately 10Hz. Each column pair of drivers are wired in paralell 4 ohms and powered by a bridged EP2500 (tested at ~1950 watts/4ohms bridged). So we can push up to a max of about 4000 watts into those four Q-18's. Add to that... another pair of EP2500's bridged mono and each powering an Audiopulse Axis 15" driver up front in separate ported enclosures.

In the image below you can see the port on the front of the riser...

file.php

Those are four Q-18 18" drivers in the back from Fi Audio. Fi is one of our sponsors over at the Shack. They use to mainly do car audio and moved into the home theater arena for the DIY crowd.

The neat part about those Q-18's is that the enclosure they are housed in is the not only the cabinets you see them mounted in, but also the bulk of the riser is part of the enclosure. There is 80ft^3 in total enclosure volume with two 8" ports in the front of the riser tuning the enclosure to approximately 10Hz. Each column pair of drivers are wired in paralell 4 ohms and powered by a bridged EP2500 (tested at ~1950 watts/4ohms bridged). So we can push up to a max of about 4000 watts into those four Q-18's. Add to that... another pair of EP2500's bridged mono and each powering an Audiopulse Axis 15" driver up front in separate ported enclosures.

In the image below you can see the port on the front of the riser...

Hi Sonnie, very cool setup.

I have to say, I'm impressed when someone builds-in the subs like that.

I'm sure that platform has a bit of 'motion' to it when the subwoofage really gets going, right?

Well... I have joked around with our family and friends about bringing 20 bucks each with them when they come.

Jonathan... as I described watching Cloverfield to a few others, it's as if the drivers are dead still and everything else is moving, including those seated. The sensation is remarkable to say the least. That riser is seriously framed and braced with two layers of ¾" MDF on top, then liquid nailed to the floor. So... it is literally part of the concrete floor. Regardless of which seat we are in, the movement is the same, or so minor of a difference we do not realize it.

Well... I have joked around with our family and friends about bringing 20 bucks each with them when they come.

Jonathan... as I described watching Cloverfield to a few others, it's as if the drivers are dead still and everything else is moving, including those seated. The sensation is remarkable to say the least. That riser is seriously framed and braced with two layers of ¾" MDF on top, then liquid nailed to the floor. So... it is literally part of the concrete floor. Regardless of which seat we are in, the movement is the same, or so minor of a difference we do not realize it.

Very cool, that's what you want, the air and everything else moving :rocker:

Back