System #365 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, somehow I missed the extra additions onto that thread. But that was the validation I was interested in hearing outside of the company. Now I have to shoot a quick letter off to Santa.

Thanks, somehow I missed the extra additions onto that thread. But that was the validation I was interested in hearing outside of the company. Now I have to shoot a quick letter off to Santa.

Make sure your stocking has adequate space for multiple DFPCs. Good luck with Santa!

They really are awesome PCs... you will not be sorry if you decide to take the lessloss highway to lownoiseville.

Beautiful setup. I really like the sailboat on the wall. Do you sail? I use to sail the Chesapeake out of Annapolis and loved it.

That is one beautiful room. Time to change the thread title from Summit X to CLX.

Beautiful setup. I really like the sailboat on the wall. Do you sail? I use to sail the Chesapeake out of Annapolis and loved it.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the kind comments.

I'm a big boat fan. I've done a fair amount of sailing (sailed out of Newport RI on one of the America's Cup yachts just a few months ago)... but primarily at this stage in my life, the majority of our water-time is spent at my lake house in Southern Maine where I keep a Sea-Ray Sundeck 220 during the warmer months (May through September). I also really love maritime/nautical history, especially tall ships. My wife bought me this book for Christmas... highly recommended!

Cheers,

-Todd

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 396
Superb system tsv_1!!! Art of living and music at its peak! Carefully place in a nice and cozy room where everybody in the house can enjoy :)

Superb system tsv_1!!! Art of living and music at its peak! Carefully place in a nice and cozy room where everybody in the house can enjoy :)

Thanks for the kind words W. In truth, the room you see in the pics is my office/man-cave. So not so much where everyone in the house can enjoy because I've not given any family members the password to enter my inner-sanctum ;) Though kids and wife don't seem to care about that and just wonder through my room whenever they please.

Also, the pics you see at the top of this thread are a bit dated. While the CLXs remain steadfastly planted, there has been some upstream evolution... mainly, I've swapped out the PrimaLuna amps for higher power SS amps from ModWright. This has entirely eliminated transient compression that the 80W/ch tube amps just couldn't manage.

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words W. In truth, the room you see in the pics is my office/man-cave. So not so much where everyone in the house can enjoy because I've not given any family members the password to enter my inner-sanctum ;) Though kids and wife don't seem to care about that and just wonder through my room whenever they please.

Also, the pics you see at the top of this thread are a bit dated. While the CLXs remain steadfastly planted, there has been some upstream evolution... mainly, I've swapped out the PrimaLuna amps for higher power SS amps from ModWright. This has entirely eliminated transient compression that the 80W/ch tube amps just couldn't manage.
Cheers

Nice. I bet the sound really changed going from tube to transistor, also. I'm considering moving up the power chain too, as I've heard my speakers with some 200wpc tube monos and I really liked the way they responded to more power. I'm kind of leaning towards cj gear, but I also want to check out the new Bob Carver tube mono amps, among others.

Nice. I bet the sound really changed going from tube to transistor, also. I'm considering moving up the power chain too, as I've heard my speakers with some 200wpc tube monos and I really liked the way they responded to more power. I'm kind of leaning towards cj gear, but I also want to check out the new Bob Carver tube mono amps, among others.

Hi Steve,

Thanks. I did consider higher power tube amps, but my cave gets pretty warm in the summer and that much additional heat would be less than welcome. On the flipside, they would probably keep me from freezing solid in the winter :)

As for sound, while the PLs were wonderfully euphonic as well designed tube amps tend to be, the ModWrights remind me of Pass amps - extremely neutral, quiet, and authoritative. The CLX/MW combo has done wonders in terms of keeping the dreaded upgraditis at bay. I am concerned though that Ken (RUR) will talk some sense into me wrt active room EQ... so some upgrading may occur regardless of how much kicking and screaming there might be. ;)

Last edited:
What are you using for a pre now, Todd?

The W4S DAC2 has an integrated precision volume control... so straight from the DAC to the amps and subs. I've been toying with the idea of popping a tube buffer stage in there though.

I am concerned though that Ken (RUR) will talk some sense into me wrt active room EQ... so some upgrading may occur regardless of how much kicking and screaming there might be. ;)
You're in big trouble now, Todd. Installed one of these last night for audition:

9qjy0w.jpg

http://www.trinnov.com/products/pro-audio/st2-pro/?lang=en_us

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trinnov/1.html

Just getting started, but Wow! this thing is impressive. More via PM or email, if you like - don't want to wander too far OT.

Ken

Last edited:
You're in big trouble now, Todd. Installed one of these last night for audition:

Just getting started, but Wow! this thing is impressive. More via PM or email, if you like - don't want to wander too far OT.

Ken

No such thing as OT in this T :)

Please feel free Ken to fill us all in on your new, highly intriguing toy (although I'm guessing "toy" is entirely the wrong word).

Back