System #368 (Summit, Cinema i, Descent, Vignette)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hocky

Reaction score
1. Member Name: John

2. Location: Fishers, IN

3. ML Model(s): Martin Logan Summit X, Martin Logan Summit, Martin Logan Stage, and Vignette

4. Year Purchased: '09, '10, '11

5. Mods/Changes: None

6. Associated Electronics: JL F212 sub, Panamax 5300, Marantz AV7005, Aragon 8008x3, Emotiva XPA-2 (rear channels), Squeezebox Duet, Audioquest Granite wires, AR Pro interconnects.

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:
In October of '09, I had a $1000 Paradigm HTIB and was pretty happy with it - I didn't think it could get a lot better and would argue that to the death. I had some troubles with the subwoofer driver and started searching for replacement and made the mistake of getting an audiophile friend involved. Long story short, I came across a great deal on an ML Abyss and noticed that the vignettes were a good deal and sounded good, too, so I bought a pair of them as well. In the next month or so, we toured the Hifi shops around town and sampled all sorts of different speakers while getting my appetite up. While sampling, we heard the ML CLX and ML Summit X. While the CLX was incredible, the Summit X was the one that I longed to have - I loved the low end extension and overall sound.... and then I looked at the price tag, cringed, and walked out.... I wasn't quite ready to spend real money just yet. In November, I came across a nice set of Aerius i, demo'd them, and really liked their sound. I brought them home that day and hooked them straight to my AVR. Starting that day, everything kind of steamrolled with parts changing constantly. Only months later, I sold the Aerius to my audiophile friend, bought Ascents, repaneled Ascents for the newer style panels, and then bought Summits. Parts have been rolling in and out of the system ever since. I have some decent stuff now, but still have a lot of "needs" in my system. Regardless, I enjoy it every day for both HT and 2 channel music.

Update: Added Summit X, JL F212, Marantz AV7005, and Emotiva XPA-2. Need to update the pictures.

Update again: Replaced the Cinema with a Stage.

8. An image of your system.

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

Last edited:
Nice setup :).

How do you feel the Vignette pair with the Summit?

I have Aerius i on the back of Vantages....was thinking of switchint it out with something a little smaller as rear channel doesn't really have much going on IMO.

Honestly, I don't mind them at all. In my opinion, the transition from front stage to rear stage with a continuous sound is so uncommon and with the varying angles that the sound hits your ears, I think any reasonable speaker will work for surrounds. I would like floorstanding at all corners, but my room doesn't accomodate it currently and frankly I just don't think that there are significant gains, anyway. I actually used to have an extra pair of aerius laying around that I hooked up for a while as surrounds (when my front mains were ascents) and I thought that they did not perform as well as the vignettes on the wall. But to be fair, I think 99% of this was because they really needed to be elevated on some kind of platforms to get them up above ear height.

Last edited:
Back