Surround suggestions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riot

Reaction score
Running a Denon 3806
ML Clarity (Fronts)
Cinemai (Center)
Abyss (Sub)
Right now just using a pair of old Technic full range speakers for the surround needs but want to upgrade to cover Home Theater needs as well as 5 channel stereo listening. I realize surrounds carry most of the sound effects and background noises for movies...so I have put off upgrading them because I felt the front speakers were more important. I was considering Definitive powered surrounds or should I stick with Martin Logan....any suggestions will be appreciated. I listen to music/movies probably a 50/50 split and I will probably stay away from in-walls....Thanks

Anthony

I was considering Definitive powered surrounds or should I stick with Martin Logan....any suggestions will be appreciated.

Anthony,

While I can not comment on the Definitive powered surrounds, however, I am currently using Definitive BP-1 speakers for my rears. Do they sound like MLs? No, but they do decent enough for surrounds for me. It's all a matter of where you want or need to compromise due to your budget. For me, ML speakers are pricey for dedicated surrounds. My priorities are 2 channel, so I'm willing to give up a little sound quality for my HT. However, I think it is much more important to have the fronts and center match, which is what you have with the Clairity and Cinema, than the rears and fronts.

My two cents....

Bob

Some of the Klipsch Ref surrounds do a surprisingly good job timbre matching with Logans, are easy to drive and do not cost too much. Axiom makes a nice surround model that also does pretty well and I used Mirage Omnisats which also do a good job. Course now I have Frescos in the back which may tell you something.:p

Hola. I do like the ML design series. With the ATF tech., a dynamic diaphragm that acts like an electrostatic panels, full push and pull way, blends very well with your Clarities. Try the model Vignette from your ML dealer and listen how great they do with timbre, size of the instruments and also effects. They are another option in the marketplace. Trust your ears and choose the ones that you liked most! Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola. I do like the ML design series. With the ATF tech., a dynamic diaphragm that acts like an electrostatic panels, full push and pull way, blends very well with your Clarities. Try the model Vignette from your ML dealer and listen how great they do with timbre, size of the instruments and also effects. They are another option in the marketplace. Trust your ears and choose the ones that you liked most! Happy listening,
Roberto.
Thanks Roberto....I have been looking at the Vignettes but did not want to make a decision too quickly....it usually takes me 2-3 months before I really decide to commit to something.....I like to hear other people's thoughts, read reviews...etc...thanks for the the reply

I have a similar setup to yours (Clarities, Cinema up front). I bought a pair of Klipsch ref series for my surrounds off audiogon. I am happy with the results for movies, although the majority of my listening is 2 channel music

You have a second vote for the Vignette. I use one as a center and it matches well with my Clarity's. I'm using B&W M-1's for the rears right now and am completly satisfied with the sound. As my system evovles, I'll be looking to move to a stat for the center, get a second Vignette and move them to the rear.
Goold luck!

Back