Surge Protection that includes CAT5

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
I've upgraded my A/V setup to include a Sony 52" XBR4, and am now looking for a surge protector (+/- power filtering) that includes CAT5 protection (since I'm using a wired Squeezebox as my primary audio source).

Only device I've found thus far is the Tripplite HT1210ISOCTR, but it's guts don't look particularly robust, as seen in this review... http://www.laaudiofile.com/ht1210isoctr.html

I already have a Monster HTS 3500 MKII, which I'll use for the video side. My budget for the audio setup is ~$300. I've got a dedicated 20A line (clean power), so just want something mainly for good surge protection, with or without power filtering. I do need at least 6 power outlets.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• ht1210isoctr_gut (Small).jpg
    ht1210isoctr_gut (Small).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 747
I would wait for Cherian to chime in here on good power protection both surge and conditioning. I thought I remember him recommending the PowerVar's as a good solution.

Ahhh, the Belkin PF60 also has CAT5 protection, and great reviews. Internals look a lot beefier as well.

Attachments

• PF60.jpg
    PF60.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 334
  • pf60gut (Small).jpg
    pf60gut (Small).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:
Not to hi-jack the thread, But can someone explain why you would need to have surge protection for a Cat 5 connection. I know and understand why we need power protection. But don't know why we would need Cat 5 surge protection. The reason I ask is my music server is hooked directly into the internet via a Cat 5 connection to my computor. Both my music server and computor power sources have surge protection, would I still need some sort of protection for the Cat 5 connection? Is there such a thing as data surges?:confused:

ANY wired connection into an A/V system is capable of frying components from a nearby lightning strike. It doesn't necessarily have to come thru the power line. A phone line, network, or coax connection are equally susceptible.

ANY wired connection into an A/V system is capable of frying components from a nearby lightning strike. It doesn't necessarily have to come thru the power line. A phone line, network, or coax connection are equally susceptible.

Thanks,Alan
I guess I'll have to rethink the protection of my system.
I have a Cat 5, phone line, and coax running in my system,
all unprotected!!

Ahhh, the Belkin PF60 also has CAT5 protection, and great reviews. Internals look a lot beefier as well.

I'm very pleased with my PF60. You have ethernet, phone, coax, the works, plus tons of outlets and power filtering in 6 isolated banks. Should fit in your budget easily. Actually, the phone jack is also RJ45 so really you could have two protected lines of any kind.

Just an update. The original PF60 from Amazon arrived damaged, with loose parts rattling inside. The replacement arrived intact, and I finally hooked it up tonight. Wow, what a surprise! Compared to the Monster HTS 3500 MkII that I was previously using, the Belden is a LOT cleaner sounding, with tighter bass and faster transients. I never realized how much the Monster design "veiled" the sound. Now, I suppose the Belden is perhaps also "coloring" the sound, but if so, it's a lot more "musical" than the Monster. I'm relegating the Monster unit to the video side of my setup.

Also, as mentioned in my RMAF thread, I won a PS Audio Power Plant Premier at RMAF! However, some folks told me the high current demand of my Belles amp might not work well with a power regenerator. Given the fantastic sound of the Belden unit, I've decided to sell the PS Audio PPP when I receive it, and put the $$ towards the ML Motif! I'm hoping to sell it locally, but if no takers, will post details here before placing on A'gon.

Back