System #05 (Odyssey, CLS IIa)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Secondary system (CLS IIa) updated !

As a result to the changes in the main system, the CLS IIa are now back as computer speakers ! I have hooked the power amplifier directly to the PC with the RME audio card which I use as a preamp.

I should have done this earlier because the end results are very satisfying: I can attain pretty high and clean volumes with this combo and the amp stays moderately warm (right now I'm giving it a workout with Crystal Method's Tweekend ;)). Otherwise, the system is very quiet when there is silence in a recording, like in many of Sigur Rós' songs.

The secondary system includes these components:

- Loudspeakers: MartinLogan CLS IIa
- Loudspeaker cables: Transparent Audio (basic, cheap ones)
- Preamplifier: RME DIGI96/8 PAD Audio Card
- Power amplifier: Audio Design PA100
- CD player: Sony SCD-XE670 SACD Player + Audio Alchemy DTI Pro on the CD side
- Analog FM tuner: Harman/Kardon hk710
- Interconnects: DIY with Linn plugs

Cheers !

I made some equipment reassignments during the week-end ! (Part 1)

First, I moved the Simaudio Moon P-5 Preamplifier to the secondary system.

As much as I enjoyed having my old Audio Design amplifier hooked directly to the RME audio card, i did regret at times two of the advantages of having a real preamp, mostly:
- more inputs (my RME card has three digital connectors but only one analog input)
- an easily accessible volume control

Hooking the P-5 in the system brought back the convenience and pleasure factors ! The end result is that I spend more time listening to music via the secondary system !

Cheers !

I made some equipment reassignments during the week-end ! (Part 2)

Second move was to place the Hovland HP-200 preamp near the RADIA rather than next to the sources. The pair is now linked by a short 0.5m XLO Signature 2 interconnect. Immediate result: I have more control on the volume level. Most of my listening was done at around the two o'clock position, it is now at around eleven on the dial for the same volume level.

Of course that would mean nothing if the sound was just OK, but such is not the case. The more I listen to the main system, the more I appreciate the qualities of the Hovland equipment driving Odysseys: speed, transparency, delicacy, power, control, complete absence of harshness, ...

In a word, I'm delighted ! ;)

Cheers !

Last edited:
I made some equipment reassignments during the week-end ! (Part 3)

For the last two months, I could not listen to vinyl because my turntable was physically far from my remaining phono preamplifier. The two previous moves allowed me to correct the situation: my faithfull Ariston RD11 is now where used to be the Hovland HP-200 !

I can now enjoy my LPs. Better yet, I can listen to vinyl on either system because the turntable is hooked to an old PS Audio IV preamplifier linked to both system via its Tape Out and Line Out.

Cheers !

Seriously, have you more money than something else? CLSs stuffed behind a computer desk! - well I bet it sounds good - good luck to you!

Final upgrade for 2005 !

Well, I completed the overhaul of my main system by selling two components, a Simaudio Moon P-5 preamp and an Integra DPS-8.3 universal player, and getting two new ones.

First, I got a Nordost Thor mains distribution unit to feed the system. Details about the Thor are available at the company's website: http://www.nordost.com/Accessories/thor.htm. There's a review in Hi-Fi Choice: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=2818.

Second, I bought a Linn Unidisk SC universal player. My main source is still a "Jukebox" :) (RME audio card feeding the preamp via a Benchmark DAC1). However, I have many CDs, a few SACDs and DVD-As, as well as some music DVDs. That is why I also use a universal player. The Unidisk plays everything beautifully and doubles as a very competent DVD player (more on that later :D). Some comments here in a Stereophile review written by Art Dudley: http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplayers/605linn/.

(Note: the description of the system at the beginning of this thread has been updated.)

Since this is New Year's Eve, I have taken the resolution to enjoy my system as it is and stop the continuous upgrade !! :rolleyes:

Happy New Year to all !

Last edited:
The rack in the main system (Odyssey)

It is a Lovan Classic II, simple design surprisingly sturdy for its weight !

rack_lovan.jpg

Because of my inadequacies as a photographer, the image does not show that I have become quite accustomed to the optional internal lighting of the Hovland gear. The lighting is now "On" all the time !! ;)

Cheers,

Incredible System, Wow...

Kaliar said:
It is a Lovan Classic II, simple design surprisingly sturdy for its weight !

rack_lovan.jpg

Because of my inadequacies as a photographer, the image does not show that I have become quite accustomed to the optional internal lighting of the Hovland gear. The lighting is now "On" all the time !! ;)

Cheers,
Kaliar,

Your system is incredible and amazing! Wow, I can't believe I had not seen it before. I think your Hovland gear is awesome. I must sound beautiful. How do you like your Linn Unidisc SC player? Is it as fantastic a player as the review suggests? I also love your Lovan Classic II audio equipment rack. I really looks fantastic and shows off all your gear in fine style. What music do you listen too mostly on your main system? I am sorry I didn't check out your system earlier, but it was worth it to see it now. You have beautiful musical system. ;)

I like the new stands and love the Hovlands! :)

You should post a new pic of your entire system (including the speakers) because I'd like to see what you see from the sweet spot.

;)

Robin said:
Kaliar,

Your system is incredible and amazing! Wow, I can't believe I had not seen it before. I think your Hovland gear is awesome. I must sound beautiful. How do you like your Linn Unidisc SC player? Is it as fantastic a player as the review suggests? I also love your Lovan Classic II audio equipment rack. I really looks fantastic and shows off all your gear in fine style. What music do you listen too mostly on your main system? I am sorry I didn't check out your system earlier, but it was worth it to see it now. You have beautiful musical system. ;)
Hi Robin,

Thanks for your kind words!

You're right about the Hovland gear. That particular combination of tube preamp and solid state amplifier, perfectly matched because they have been made for each other, is awesome to my ears. It drives effortlessly my Odysseys. :)

About the Linn player, it has been great so far. For the moment I use it almost exclusively as a 2 channel source and it does excel at that. This player is not "edgy", I can listen for hours without problems. Only negative is that it tends to be quite hot at times. :(

Music wise, I love jazz and blues, classical music and progressive rock. I listen to most types of music except rap, RnB and country, which I have not learned to appreciate.

I like to begin a day by listening to some Bach, Vivaldi or Mozart. In the afternoon, I will typically follow up with some world or folk music, maybe some rock or large ensemble orchestral music. Evenings are mostly devoted to jazz: when I come back from the fencing club where I coach, I love to listen to the recordings made in the late 50s and early 60s by Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, etc...

Best regards,

Hovland and Linn audio gear...

Kaliar,

I apperciate your most excellent discrptions of the Hovland SS amp. and the Hovland tubed peramp. Additionally, your Linn CD player seems to be a fine player. I think you and I have very similar tastes in music, although it sounds like you listen to great jazz much more than I. Your system seems so excellent as it is, but is their anything you would want to up-grade in the future?

Great system. :D

Hi Robin,

Thanks again for your kind comments !

To answer your question about upgrading, I must say that I'm really happy with my system like it is right now !! I have done so many improvements in the last year that I have no plan to further upgrade in the near future ! :)

That said, I might have to do a move on the vinyl side because my TT is currently inactive, my old phono preamp acting up in the secondary system... The passive stage is fine but the active one, essential for the phono, has stopped working ! :(

So I'm considering relocating the TT to the main system, but I need a phono preamp to do so, to hook it up to the HP-200 ! That would be it !

Apart from that, nothing in view !! :rolleyes:

Take care,

Beautiful Phonographic Sounds...

Kaliar said:
Hi Robin,

Thanks again for your kind comments !

To answer your question about upgrading, I must say that I'm really happy with my system like it is right now !! I have done so many improvements in the last year that I have no plan to further upgrade in the near future ! :)

That said, I might have to do a move on the vinyl side because my TT is currently inactive, my old phono preamp acting up in the secondary system... The passive stage is fine but the active one, essential for the phono, has stopped working ! :(

So I'm considering relocating the TT to the main system, but I need a phono preamp to do so, to hook it up to the HP-200 ! That would be it !

Apart from that, nothing in view !! :rolleyes:

Take care,
Kaliar,

IMHO, your wonderful main system will be even more wonderful with your TT... ;) I'm courious, what phono preamp strikes your fancy? Doesn't Hovland or Conrad Johnson make fantastic phono preamp's?

Phono preamps on the way !

Robin said:
Kaliar,

IMHO, your wonderful main system will be even more wonderful with your TT... ;) I'm courious, what phono preamp strikes your fancy? Doesn't Hovland or Conrad Johnson make fantastic phono preamp's?
Hi Robin,

Indeed, Hovland and CJ make fantastic, and costly, phono preamps ! Now being on a budget, I am considering the Grado PH-1 or Clearaudio Basic ! From what I've read on the net, either one should prove more than enough for my needs !

I should be able to test both this week-end, to see if they are a good match to my Decca cartridge. I'll keep you posted ! :)

Take care,

Kaliar,
I do not know what you want to spend on a phono pre amp and you did say you are now on a budget. :eek: I purchased the NAD PP-2 phono preamp. Although it is not as expensive as the Grado and I am sure the Grado may sound better but as almost 2.5 times the money, I felt this was a good purchase.

Just my opinion of course :D

Jeff :cool:

Affordable phono preamp !

Hi Jeff,

I was out of town yesterday and read your message this morning. Thanks for the recommendation of the NAD phono preamp. The PP-2 has very good specs (and reviews) and looks like a winner.

Unfortunately for me, the MM gain level is 35dB, which is a bit on the low side for my setup. Both of the preamps I'm now trying have a 40dB MM gain, more in tune with my line stage.

OK, now back to testing !

Last edited:
Joey_V said:
I like the new stands and love the Hovlands! :)

You should post a new pic of your entire system (including the speakers) because I'd like to see what you see from the sweet spot.

;)
Hi Joey_V,

Sorry for not replying earlier, but I have tried to take pictures from the sweet spot, with disappointing results :eek:!! Being only 8 feet from the speakers, and with my limited talents as a photographer, I'm having problems to capture both speakers !!

But help is on the way: a friend is supposed to come shortly to take pictures from many angles. He has a much better camera and different lenses so he should be able to answer your wish !! :D

Take care,

Phono preamp chosen !

For the last week, I had two phono stages for evaluation in my system: the Grado PH-1 and the Clearaudio Basic.

Gainwise and soundwise, the two did a fine job with my Decca London Super Gold cartridge : I could be happy with either preamp !

Having to return one to my dealer, I kept the Clearaudio unit. The Basic does cost less than the PH-1 and has larger MC gain (60 dB vs 56 dB) if I ever go that route again ! ;)

I also found the Clearaudio preamp to be a little less sensitive to hum in my setup. I guess that the metal casing and the external transformer of the Basic do play their role for shielding the signal !

Vinyl is again enjoyable ! :D

Cheers !

Excellent...

Kaliar said:
For the last week, I had two phono stages for evaluation in my system: the Grado PH-1 and the Clearaudio Basic.

Gainwise and soundwise, the two did a fine job with my Decca London Super Gold cartridge : I could be happy with either preamp !

Having to return one to my dealer, I kept the Clearaudio unit. The Basic does cost less than the PH-1 and has larger MC gain (60 dB vs 56 dB) if I ever go that route again ! ;)

I also found the Clearaudio preamp to be a little less sensitive to hum in my setup. I guess that the metal casing and the external transformer of the Basic do play their role for shielding the signal !

Vinyl is again enjoyable ! :D

Cheers !
kaliar,

Sounds like the proper preamp for your wonderful system. I wonder how it looks in your set-up? If you take any more pic's of your system I'd love to see how it looks... :)
Enjoy you new and improved vinyl heaven... :D

Back