System #05 (Odyssey, CLS IIa)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New addition: ModWright/Sony 999ES with Signature Truth Mod

In short, this mod transforms a CD/DVD/SACD machine into a remarkable 2 channel tube CD/SACD player !

A review of the unit, same vintage as mine, is available here : http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/modwright999ES.htm.

I got the player yesterday morning and spent most of the afternoon installing it : making sure the unit was perfectly level and immune to vibrations, with careful routing of all interconnects and AC cords (I got 2 nicely built shielded DIY cords with the machine). One analog output set is hooked to the Hovland HP-200 line stage, the other one to the Stax SRM-006t amplifier. Interconnects are DIY cables built by someone that knows this stuff (not me!), terminated with Linn connectors.

Because of the heavy gauge of the power cords and the cramped space, it did take some time and effort to install the massive outboard transformer properly...

But I finally managed to get everything where I wanted and could devote the entire evening to listening, after proper warming up of the tubes (Tung-Sol 5687).

I like it ! I've listened to dozens of CDs and SACDs and have found the ModWright/Sony 999ES to be very musical and involving, as well as totally silent when there is no signal (even at a high volume level) !

What more to ask of a source ? In short, I'm in heaven and intend to spend more time listening to my music collection !

Having fun !

Last edited:
In short, this mod transforms a CD/DVD/SACD machine into a remarkable 2 channel tube CD/SACD player !

What more to ask of a source ? In short, I'm in heaven and intend to spend more time listening to my music collection !
Welcome to the Modded Player Club!!! Your seat on the Modders Council is ready for you!!! :haha1: As seen from my other posts, I am a major supporter of Dan Wright.

Glad to hear you are liking your new player. It is exciting to sit and listen to your music, hearing new things and enjoying them as if you just bought them!!!

Dan Wright from Modwright does an excellent job on modifications of players making them sound as good or better than players 2-3 times the cost. Allen Wright of Vacuum State Electronics (VSE Mods) is another great modders for players.

What makes these two people some of the best, is they have a completely redesigned output stage as the main part of their mods. While most of the other modders just replace parts with different ones, it is the new output stages that really make the Modwright and Vacuum State shine.

Dan

Welcome to the Modded Player Club!!! Your seat on the Modders Council is ready for you!!! :haha1: As seen from my other posts, I am a major supporter of Dan Wright.
Thanks for the warm welcome ! ;)

Glad to hear you are liking your new player. It is exciting to sit and listen to your music, hearing new things and enjoying them as if you just bought them!!!
Indeed !

Dan Wright from Modwright does an excellent job on modifications of players making them sound as good or better than players 2-3 times the cost. Allen Wright of Vacuum State Electronics (VSE Mods) is another great modders for players.

What makes these two people some of the best, is they have a completely redesigned output stage as the main part of their mods. While most of the other modders just replace parts with different ones, it is the new output stages that really make the Modwright and Vacuum State shine.

Dan
That's what convinced me to buy that particular unit. And I'm so happy I did! I have listened to a few high price digital players and am really pleased with what I hear from the ModWright/Sony player. I don't feel I'm missing much and my wallet is in better shape for it... :rolleyes:

Take care,

That's what convinced me to buy that particular unit. And I'm so happy I did! I have listened to a few high price digital players and am really pleased with what I hear from the ModWright/Sony player. I don't feel I'm missing much and my wallet is in better shape for it... :rolleyes:
And all that extra cash can be spent on mucho great music to listen to!!!

Don't forget to drop Dan a line or post in his forum over at Audio Circles on your new toy. BTW, if you ever have to deal with Dan for Customer Service, you can expect top notch support.

BTW, forgot to ask, does your player have the new Tube Rectification Power Supply? If not you can get it upgraded by Dan. Those that have the new PS said the change is highly recommended.

Dan

Congrats on the new upgrade, hope you have many hours of listening pleasure!

So where are the freakin' pictures? You know how we all like to drool over this stuff!:D

BTW, forgot to ask, does your player have the new Tube Rectification Power Supply? If not you can get it upgraded by Dan. Those that have the new PS said the change is highly recommended.

Dan
No, I have the original power supply, non tube rectified. I know the new one is supposed to be an improvement but I'll wait a bit before deciding to upgrade or not. Right now, I'll just enjoy my unit as it is... ;)

Still, thanks for the recommendation ! Take care, Dan !

Last edited:
Congrats on the new upgrade, hope you have many hours of listening pleasure!

So where are the freakin' pictures? You know how we all like to drool over this stuff!:D
Hi MiTT,

Thanks for the congrats ! I have already been able to get many hours of listening since the acquisition and do intend to put many more ! Right now, I have a big smile on my face, listening to "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" from Bill Frisell's East/West album ! :D

Life is fun !

PS: the camera's battery is being charged. Photos will come shortly ! :rolleyes:

Kaliar,
Glad to hear you got your new player. I look forward to hearing what you think of the modded Sony.

What were you using prior to this? Outboard DAC?

When I decided to start upgrading my system I started with a change in CDP. I narrowed it down to that modded Sony and the Krell Standard. I found a good deal on the Krell first and bought it with the intention of finding a Sony and compare them, then keep the one I liked better.

The change to a real CDP was so great ( previously a $200+ Sony DVD/CD player) I decided to upgrade other equipment before finding a Sony player. I am getting close to a purchase, so any input on the sound would be appreciated.

If it sounds anything like the reviews I have read, you have a lot of music to start listening to over again.

Enjoy

Here they are... some photos of my messy installation... Sorry for the quality, photography is definitely not one of my talents ! :-(

The ModWright/Sony 999ES is on top of a Shanling CD S-100 Mk2 player, still used as a transport feeding a Benchmark DAC1. The ouboard ModWright power supply is seen on the first picture, bottom right, near the wine bottle !

modwright_1.jpg

modwright_2.jpg

modwright_3.jpg

modwright_4.jpg

Kaliar,
Glad to hear you got your new player. I look forward to hearing what you think of the modded Sony.

What were you using prior to this? Outboard DAC?
Hi Brad225,

I must admit I'm a bit spoiled with digital sources. On my main system, I also have a Linn Unidisk SC universal player and a Shanling CD S-100 Mk2 player feeding a Benchmark DAC1. So far, on the CD side, the ModWright/Sony seems to be more musical and involving than the Shanling/Benchmark combo. However, that could be the result of my enthousiasm with the arrival of a new piece of equipment...:rolleyes: So I'll wait a bit before passing any real judgement... As far as SACDs are concerned, the Unidisk is not too shabby but the ModWright more than holds its ground ! Price wise, no question, the ModWright I just bought is the winner by a mile !

If it sounds anything like the reviews I have read, you have a lot of music to start listening to over again.

Enjoy
So far, my first impressions are very, very positive, quite in agreement with the reviews I've read! Just to make sure, I do intend to spend an inordinate amount of time listening to my music collection... ;)

Take care !

Last edited:
Update : dedicated circuits added !

We had some renovations done at the house last week, so I took advantage of the situation and asked the electrician to add four new 15A lines to the panel. Even if it is basic stuff, nothing fancy, I can now enjoy the benefits of dedicated circuits. :rolleyes:

One of the lines is used for the computers but the three remaining are reserved for audio.

One circuit is dedicated to the CLS IIa system : one outlet feeds a YBA Line Filter (for amp, preamp and tuner), the other one goes to a Monster AV800 Surge Protector, where the speakers are hooked. The Depth is on another circuit, protected by a ZeroSurge 2R15 Surge Protector.

The Odyssey system benefits from two of the new circuits:
- one for the Hovland amp and preamp, via a Nordost Thor
- one for the digital sources, via an Inouye SPLC.

So far, so good ! It might be the placebo effect, but I feel the music has gained a little more presence...

However, I live in Québec where electricity is pretty clean and constant, and I already had some nice AC conditioners in place, so the improvement is certainly not the same as in many other places in the world...

No matter what, the new AC installation is an improvement over the prior one, where two shared circuits were used ! :D

Life is fun with ML ! :cool:

Last edited:
Major source upgrade !

For the last five days, I have been enjoying a fabulous digital source, an EMM Labs CDSA SE CD-SACD player, bought used ! :cool:

emmlabs_cdsa.jpg

It is the unit described here: http://www.emmlabs.com/html/audio/cdsa/cdsa.html
and reviewed here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0407/emm_labs_cdsa_se.htm.

Better digital certainly exists but I feel no incentive to even try and find it... For me, the CDSA marks the end of my quest in the sources' department... It is that good ! Comments will follow later, when I find the time to stop listening to music !! :music:

BTW, now you know why I don't participate in those nice cars' threads. To be able to afford my expensive HiFi instruments, I have to keep my old Civic... :D

Still, life is good with ML ! :cool:

Better digital certainly exists but I feel no incentive to even try and find it... For me, the CDSA marks the end of my quest in the sources' department... It is that good ! Comments will follow later, when I find the time to stop listening to music !! :music:

BTW, now you know why I don't participate in those nice cars' threads. To be able to afford my expensive HiFi instruments, I have to keep my old Civic... :D

Still, life is good with ML ! :cool:

VERY NICE Piece of gear there!

VERY NICE Piece of gear there!
Hi Pcar928fan,

Thanks, it is very nice indeed !

The CDSA is very smooth and dynamic at the same time, and the bass quality is fantastic, the best I have had in my system.

The more I listen to it, the bigger my grin !! :D

Take care,

CDSA upgrade : How did it happen ?

4 months ago to the day, I was lucky enough to buy a used Modwright/Sony 999ES. At the time, the seller was in the process of acquiring an EMM Labs CDSA SE CD-SACD player, slightly used.

In order to do that he was selling his two digital players, the Modwright and an Audio Aero Capitole SE Mk II !!

When our transaction was concluded, I told the guy, as a joke : "Please contact me when you want to sell the CDSA !" He laughed and said : "That should take a few years!" :D

Guess what, I got his phone call last week, the gentleman is buying a new house and needs to sell some of his stuff !! The timing was perfect because I was getting my performance bonus and he was willing to take back the Modwright in exchange, as part of the payment...

So, even if I was perfectly satisfied with the modded Sony, a fantastic player in its own right, I agreed to audition the CDSA in my system for a full day before deciding to buy it or not...

The rest is history, I found my Grail ! :cool:

Last edited:
Guess what, I got his phone call last week, the gentleman is buying a new house and needs to sell some of his stuff !! The timing was perfect because I was getting my performance bonus and he was willing to take back the Modwright in exchange, as part of the payment...

Now that is a SWEET DEAL you got there! Way to go!!!

Bi-amping my Odysseys !

After reading a lot of threads extolling the virtues of bi-amping ML hybrids, I decided to experiment it on my Odyssey system.

No expense was necessary since I have one spare amplifier, a good old Audio Design PA100 (made in Canada) used occasionnally to drive a set of Stax SRX Mk III !! That amp is a high current design being able to output 100 wpc at 8 Ohms and 200 wpc at 4 Ohms. Being very stable at 2 Ohms, the documentation mentions it is a good match for electrostatic speakers ! Quite true, I have used it for a few months in my CLS IIa setup ! :)

The amplifiers' gains are not equal but not far away: 27 dB for the PA100 and 26 dB for the Hovland Radia. I figured that if the woofers's output was too much of a good thing I could use the -3dB attenuators on the speakers.

So I installed the PA100 in the Odyssey systems' rack to give it a try. After powering down the system, I removed the ML jumpers, moved the existing speaker cables to the panels, connected the PA100's outputs to the woofers and the inputs to the preamp. I then hooked the AC cord to a separate electrical circuit and powered up the system.

Result is perfectly OK. I can't say that the bass is better than before, after all the two amps are not in the same league... However I believe that having to deal only with the panels makes life easier for the Radia ! And I feel better this way ! :)

The system has played a lot of music in the last ten days and I have not felt the need so far to use the Odysseys' attenuators.

Conclusion, I have now joined the ranks of believers in bi-amping ML hybrids !

Life is good with ML !! ;)

Back