Quantcast

Summits are finally here

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

aliveatfive

Reaction score
Just this minute heard from my dealer. He is in posession of them and they'll be shipped to me Saturday morning. I'll issue a complete report when they're up and running.

BTW - Finally got to read the review of the Summits in HiFi News(British mag). Ken Kessler (ex-patriot American, BTW) went gaga over them. I hope I'll have the same reaction.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Dude... you're sooo lucky! I just keep telling myself, "...one day...one day."

Enjoy the Summits and dont forget to post pics!

:D

aliveatfive

Reaction score
Joey -

Don't sweat it. When I was your age I had a pair of Advents and a cheap Sony integrated. My first upgrade (when my tt along with the amp was stolen) was another pair of Advents, a kit-built Dyna PAS 3 (preamp) and a kit-built Ampzilla power amp. This stuff was a far cry from what you've got!

Reverb

Reaction score
Congratulations aliveatfive,

Enjoy those bad A$$ speakers.

P.S.
If they don’t work out for you, I will trade you may Ascents. It’s a small sacrifice to make sure a friend is happy. :D

aliveatfive

Reaction score
I am over(under?)whelmed by the generosity.

Thanks for the good wishes.

B

BearcatSandor

Awesome! Perhaps i can enjoy them vicariously somehow.

Maybe.

S

Sunnyboy 1956

congrats

Aliveatfive
many congrats and much musical happiness I suspect. Am green with envy!
Njoy :rolleyes:

MarkNewbie

Reaction score
aliveatfive said:
I am over(under?)whelmed by the generosity.

Thanks for the good wishes.
Not trying to "one up" Joe here but, we can work something out with my Ascent i's... I am sometimes way to giving...LOL

Congrats DUDE!!! :D

Reverb

Reaction score
MarkNewbie said:
Not trying to "one up" Joe here but, we can work something out with my Ascent i's... I am sometimes way to giving...LOL

Congrats DUDE!!! :D
A set set of Ascents and a pair of polks? He He :D

aliveatfive

Reaction score
Just for laughs -

When I bought the Summits, I traded in my 18 month-old pair of Ascent is. BTW - these have the more expensive aluminum side rails. When I made the purchase, the Vantage had not yet been announced. I was quoted a $2000 allowance on the Ascents by 3 different dealers. They all gave the exact same trade-in allowance. Apparently, that's the standard industry-set price. Now that the've been offiically discontinued, does anyone know what a new pair goes for? Also, what does a used pair go for at the present on Audiogon, etc,? Thanks for info, just curious.

zaphod

Reaction score
aliveatfive said:
I was quoted a $2000 allowance on the Ascents by 3 different dealers. They all gave the exact same trade-in ... Also, what does a used pair go for at the present on Audiogon, etc,? Thanks for info, just curious.
2000 seems to be the ePay ballpark. audiogon is usually a bit more than ePay.

Reverb

Reaction score
Depends on age. I have seen them sell from $1800 to $3000. $2500 to $3000 being new or close to it.

aliveatfive

Reaction score
So this is the dilemma with selling a largish pair of MLs. Trade-in and take a loss or suffer the consequences of selling on the net with all the nonesense that goes with it. I sold a pair of Sequel IIs on the net. The transaction was smooth and the buyer was fine. UPS was another story! Over the phone, the person with whom I spoke said there would be no problem with delivery. When the truck arrived at my house, the guy refused to accept the boxes. He said they were too big. I finally had to load the truck with him. When they arrived at the home of the buyer, the woofer grilles were bashed in. I guess a trade is not so bad after all.

Last edited:

Reverb

Reaction score
aliveatfive said:
So this is the dilemma with selling a largish pair of MLs. Trade-in and take a loss or suffer the consequences of selling on the net with all the nonesense that goes with it. I sold a pair of Sequel IIs on the net. The transaction was smooth and the buyer was fine. UPS was another story! Over the phone, the person with whom I spoke said there would be no problem with delivery. When the truck arrived at my house, the guy refused to accept the boxes. He said they were too big. I finally had to load the truck with him. When they arrived at the home of the buyer, the woofer grilles were bashed in. I guess a trade is not so bad after all.
That’s the risk’s you take when your dealing with speakers that are as big as the tree’s they are made out of.