First impressions of the new Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCH

Reaction score
Most of the people reading this post will already have had considerable experience with MLs in general and the Summit in particular, so I’ll keep my comments relatively brief. Left unchecked, I’m sure I could write pages.

As expected, my pair of Summits (dealer floor models) arrived Tuesday afternoon. They have been around for a while--over a year and a half, it turns out--but they are in excellent shape, at least as far as I can tell. I don’t think break-in is an issue with this pair. On the other hand, there is not a ding or scratch anywhere to be seen. Other than a couple of smudges on the tops, easily removed, there was no evidence that they were anything but new.

Overall, my impressions are exactly what I would have expected from hearing another pair a couple of years ago: a big, deep soundstage; fast, clear and largely uncolored reproduction from top to bottom; beautiful, fully dimensional vocals with very steady imaging and palpable body. One thing I hadn’t expected is such outstanding reproduction of percussion. Recorded cymbals, bells, etc. sound startlingly good; snares are highly convincing, etc. There have been many times when I’ve gotten that stupid WOW! grin on my face as I’ve suddenly encountered a surprisingly energized dimension of a familiar recording. This is especially true of instruments reaching into the upper registers.

The Summits are not euphonious in the sense that they make even bad recordings sound good. They show up clearly what’s in the mix, and that isn’t always a happy discovery. I have been disappointed with some well known recordings, especially those that put the vocalist so far back as to be overshadowed or even overwhelmed by the accompaniment. That’s not the Summit’s fault, of course, but you do wish that they could make everything sound equally good. Some speakers manage to smear things enough that most recordings sound more or less the same, but that certainly isn’t the case here. The mixes that are good, however, are often spectacularly good. For example, I’ve always liked the way that most of Chris Isaak’s albums are mixed, and that conclusion is all the more justified by the Summits. Really tight, focused and compelling. Anyway, it is easier than ever before to recognize what the recording engineer did, which on several occasions has made me wonder why on earth he did it. He certainly wasn't listening through these speakers, that's for sure.

The integration with the woofer is outstanding, but you already knew that. The two-setting woofer controls are a great help in this regard. I am used to very good subs, and these come awfully darn close. They are already there in sound quality and very nearly there in output and depth. I’m debating whether or not to use a pair of subs with them. Maybe, maybe not. They’re quite good all by themselves.

Some of the credit for what I am hearing needs to go to my still new BAT VK-32SE, which is a beautifully musical and (at the same time) dynamic and detailed preamp. When I added that to my system (replacing a modernized, tricked out ARC SP-6E), my Gallo Reference 3.1s went from very good to crazy good. In fact, one of the things worth noting is how similar in overall sound the Gallos and the Summits are. Obviously, the Summits are much larger, throw out a much bigger soundstage, etc., but the timbre, speed, dynamism and transparency of the two speakers are remarkably similar given their differences in design, size and price. Of course, I can’t use both in my listening room, so the Gallos, only a few months old, are going to have to go. This is the first time I’ve changed a major piece of gear that quickly, but the Summits are here to stay.

It is customary in such a review to mention the reaction of one’s typically uninterested, uninvolved spouse, and I can’t resist doing so, either. My wife immediately commented on how hard it was to believe that all of that sound, especially the highly textured center vocals, was coming from those two speakers. She also indicated that she had never heard recorded vocals that seemed so fully incarnated right before her. “That’s what great speakers do,” I responded. It is unlikely that she will ever value this as much as I do, but I’m pretty sure she gets it. ;-)

The room these are in leaves a lot to be desired–it’s very cluttered, for one thing–and that won’t change for several months. Eventually, we’ll get an addition put on the house, and 3/4 of the stuff/junk in this particular room will be moved out. At that point, I’ll finally begin to experiment with speaker placement, room treatments, etc. in earnest. In the meantime, what I have is more than enough. In fact, it’s wonderful.

Best wishes,
Craig

My apologies...

It just occurred to me that by writing "new Summits" in the header you might think that the above was meant to be a review of the elusive Summit X. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to disappoint you!

It just occurred to me that by writing "new Summits" in the header you might think that the above was meant to be a review of the elusive Summit X. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to disappoint you!

No worries--enjoy your new toys! I recently had similar revelations (and the wide-mouthed "wow!" grins) with the Vantages I'm currently borrowing. Given my impression of the Vantages, the Summits must be spectacular!

Summit reaction

CCH,

Congratulations on your new Summits and thanks for the write-up.

I am currently anxiously awaiting delivery for a set I just purchased in Birds Eye maple. They are being trucked and I have probably a couple of weeks before the call.

I have had ReQuests for over ten years and love them. I am looking for basically the same sound (midrange) with the improvement on top and bottom that the new Summits should bring.

Have Fun!!!!

Thanks...

I envy you the maple! I got the black ash because it was what was available. It looks fine, especially with the aluminum/silver frame, but it certainly wouldn't have been my first choice. On the other hand, all of my equipment is either black or silver (or both), so it all looks good together.

I am powering the Summits with a McIntosh MC-402 amp. It's interesting; the amp doesn't seem even remotely stressed. In fact, the meters used to go up a lot higher with the Gallos, but those did not have a powered woofer, of course. The preamp is a Balanced Audio Technology VK-32SE. I can't say enough good things about that pre. It's magical. My two main sources are a VPI Scoutmaster turntable (Dynavector 20X cartridge) and a Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD player. I am on the road as I write this, and I cannot remember the model number of my Sony ES SACD/DVD player. 'Shows you how much I use it! Interconnects are Analysis Plus Crystal Ovals (balanced) except to the turntable, which is Shunyata Aries (unbalanced). I also use AKG 701 headphones and a Musical Fidelity XCan-v8 headphone amp (another unbalanced connection). 'Various power cords (Cardis, Shunyata, PS Audio, etc.). The speaker cables are Analysis Plus Black Oval 9s. Probably a lot more information than you wanted!

Just to show my age, I have been keenly interested in audio for over 35 years, and have owned quite a range of equipment over that period. (You should see the stuff in our basement!) This setup is the first I've ever had of this quality. 'Just couldn't have afforded it earlier. It is a stretch now, but I am absolutely certain, having heard it all together, that is worth every last penny. 'Breathtaking; amazing; revelatory. I only got to use the Summits for a day and a half before leaving for five days, and I miss them! We were just getting to know each other...

Fun stuff, eh?

Back