My Summits are FINALLY installed!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
big congrats KCL!!! The system does indeed look awsome... How did you end up hooking up the summits to the sunfire? Voltage/Current? (per our discussion in a prior post).... Did you get a chance to try both? thanks tim.

Fantastic System

Looks great, now you need to add room treatment to do justice to your speakers. Bare floors and all, that has got to be one LIVE room :eek: . I am in the same boat, spent all this money on equipment but have not spent any on room treatment to get the most out of my system....Have fun :D .....Steve

big congrats KCL!!! The system does indeed look awsome... How did you end up hooking up the summits to the sunfire? Voltage/Current? (per our discussion in a prior post).... Did you get a chance to try both? thanks tim.
Thanks, Tim. I hooked them up to current for the time being. As for trying Voltage, I want to get accustomed to the new sound before I start playing with that sort of tweak. There's such an improvement in sound, that I'm not certain I could appreciate yet the different between the two.

Besides, I just want to listen to them for awhile. :D

Looks great, now you need to add room treatment to do justice to your speakers. Bare floors and all, that has got to be one LIVE room :eek: . I am in the same boat, spent all this money on equipment but have not spent any on room treatment to get the most out of my system....Have fun :D .....Steve
Our house, and particularly this room, have unusual requirements such that I really can't do any treatments. First, we tailored this house for my handicapped wife, specifically with her limited mobility in mind. The bare floors are required so she can move around with her wheelchair and walker. The room isn't as live as you might think, though. I knew this was going to be a problem when we designed the house, so I found a laminate flooring that could be laid over special acoustic padding. Its specifically designed for use in music and home theater rooms, and the acoustics are surprisingly good.

Second, this room is the focal point of the house. When we're home and not asleep (and, sometimes, even then ;) ), we spend 95% or more of our time in this room. All of her support equipment and items are there, and my desk is even at the back. When we have guests, they sit in this room with us and we talk, watch the big screen TV, or drop down the screen and watch movies. The right side is mostly windows and looks out over our back yard and the lake. The point is, we spent a lot of time and effort (not to mention money) making this room what it is. I don't think my wife would be terribly happy if we started putting stuff on the walls, changing or moving furniture, and so forth. :D

So, basically, I need to work with the room the way it is. Its one of the reasons I like using high-end equipment in the system. It not only produces awesome sound and video, I can almost always find components that can be 'tuned' to the room's unique characteristics. Yes, treating the room would be the easiest and probably best solution, but this allows me to do the best I can without physical changes.

Last edited:
Never ASSume

Our house, and particularly this room, have unusual requirements such that I really can't do any treatments. First, we tailored this house for my handicapped wife, specifically with her limited mobility in mind. The bare floors are required so she can move around with her wheelchair and walker. The room isn't as live as you might think, though. I knew this was going to be a problem when we designed the house, so I found a laminate flooring that could be laid over special acoustic padding. Its specifically designed for use in music and home theater rooms, and the acoustics are surprisingly good.

Second, this room is the focal point of the house. When we're home and not asleep (and, sometimes, even then ;) ), we spend 95% or more of our time in this room. All of her support equipment and items are there, and my desk is even at the back. When we have guests, they sit in this room with us and we talk, watch the big screen TV, or drop down the screen and watch movies. The right side is mostly windows and looks out over our back yard and the lake. The point is, we spent a lot of time and effort (not to mention money) making this room what it is. I don't think my wife would be terribly happy if we started putting stuff on the walls, changing or moving furniture, and so forth.

So, basically, I need to work with the room the way it is. Its one of the reasons I like using high-end equipment in the system. It not only produces awesome sound and video, I can almost always find components that can be 'tuned' to the room's unique characteristics. Yes, treating the room would be the easiest and probably best solution, but this allows me to do the best I can without physical changes.

Wow a picture really does say a thousand words or more in this case. I understand your situation and you have to make the right choices, so no harm intended. Like usual, I ASSumed. I am sure it sounds fantastic and really is a beutiful setup. I appologize for not knowing your situation, I feel like a big dummy :( Steve

So, Ken... the Summits are singing today right?

Ahh... the glorious sound! Enjoy! I just had to congratulate you again.... you deserve it more than most of us.

Keep the wife happy and content, she's lucky to have you. And btw, your system is truly wondrous. ;)

I appologize for not knowing your situation, I feel like a big dummy.
Good heavens, no apologies required or any offense taken at all! I was bragging, not complaining. :D We've dealt with her affliction (Multiple Sclerosis) for over 20 years and have been married for 40. As odd as it may sound, you get used to it and simply do the different things required without even thinking about it. In fact, I have the habit of casually mentioning she's handicapped or has MS as a simple fact, and I'm sure it carries over to posts. I forget the impact it can have to someone who doesn't know. So, bottom line, not a problem at all. :D

So, Ken... the Summits are singing today right?
Joey, I'm having so much fun with these its downright silly. I was up until 2:30 am (3:30 with DST kicking in early :p ) just organizing digital music and listing to jazz vocals. I'm tired, but happy. :rocker:

Joey, I'm having so much fun with these its downright silly. I was up until 2:30 am (3:30 with DST kicking in early :p ) just organizing digital music and listing to jazz vocals. I'm tired, but happy. :rocker:

Ken,

That's GREAT to hear!! Man... I'm still waiting for my DAC to arrive so I can start enjoying my system again. It's amazing what happens when you hear your system a certain way and it doesnt sound the same the old way no more....

Anyway, gotta get off my little self-pity.... glad your system is coming together very well. VDA2, Summits.... nice improvements this week, eh?

Tell your wife MLO members said "Hi", btw!

Joey ;) ;)

VDA2, Summits.... nice improvements this week, eh?
Actually, its Summits, VDA2, Sunfire TGP-5 and TGA-7400, Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ 1TB music server, and Squeezebox! Woo, Hoo! :rocker: (I haven't had this much fun in years! :D ) (On the other hand, I haven't spent this much in years. :eek: )

Last edited:
Ken,

I am glad things are great and it all worked as you planned. It makes me feel that although selling my DAC was a loss it is your gain and one in which you are enjoying. I could not be happier for you my friend.

Enjoy it in the best of health.

Jeff:cool:

Glad you are enjoying the "big guys"

Ken,

Like other Summit owners, I can totally relate to your experience. Regarding the money spent, as a dear friend of mine in Wyoming says "you only do this rodeo once, so enjoy the ride".

GG:cheers:

Gordon,

How's the 250.5? Still haven't seen any review now that you have had some time with it.

Thanks, Tim. I hooked them up to current for the time being. As for trying Voltage, I want to get accustomed to the new sound before I start playing with that sort of tweak. There's such an improvement in sound, that I'm not certain I could appreciate yet the different between the two.

Besides, I just want to listen to them for awhile. :D

Totally understand... It took me 6 months to a year to change anything...The difference is not big - just very subtle... Enjoy and LIVE THE DREAM BABY!!!!! You will never be sorry about this purchase - I think all of us can agree??? :cheers:

Back