Summit X's owners Info

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flykmair

Reaction score
This is for all Summit X owners! Please when you take your Summit X's out of the box and before you set them up and break them in like I did you need to check fit and finish. My set has a major flaw in the finish, both my woofer cabinets were not finished before they were stained. They never finished sanding my cabinets and I have a rough are on both my Summit X's. One is the size of a grown mans hand and the other is the size of a baseball. The one with the hand size flaw even has a rough area on the rear of the cabinet next to the control area. I called ML and asked if these were hand sanded or machine sanded and Melody wasn't sure and is checking for me. Martin Logan being a stellar company is making arrangements for me to ship my speakers straight back to them and building me a new pair as I type this. I just thought I would give everyone a heads up. Mine were the 6th and 7th Summit X's made in February 2009. I discovered this flaw after i set them up and took a fiber cloth to dust and make sure that I didnt leave any oil from my hands on the speakers. When the cloth hits the defective area it sounds like sand paper. So i then took my palm and went over the area and sure enough, felt rough like the fine sanding wasnt done!

This is for all Summit X owners! Please when you take your Summit X's out of the box and before you set them up and break them in like I did you need to check fit and finish. My set has a major flaw in the finish, both my woofer cabinets were not finished before they were stained. They never finished sanding my cabinets and I have a rough are on both my Summit X's. One is the size of a grown mans hand and the other is the size of a baseball. The one with the hand size flaw even has a rough area on the rear of the cabinet next to the control area. I called ML and asked if these were hand sanded or machine sanded and Melody wasn't sure and is checking for me. Martin Logan being a stellar company is making arrangements for me to ship my speakers straight back to them and building me a new pair as I type this. I just thought I would give everyone a heads up. Mine were the 6th and 7th Summit X's made in February 2009. I discovered this flaw after i set them up and took a fiber cloth to dust and make sure that I didnt leave any oil from my hands on the speakers. When the cloth hits the defective area it sounds like sand paper. So i then took my palm and went over the area and sure enough, felt rough like the fine sanding wasnt done!

That is NOT good!!!!!!!!!!!!! They should send you new ones.

I find it ironic that prices are going up but quality is going down! Trying to buy new panels in Canada for the Quest and I almost have to sell one of my children.......1995$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! used to be 900$!!! Not sure what to do yet and am worried about the quality. Not complaining just don't get it!

Martin Logan drops the ball!

:mad: Get this, i receive messed up Summit X's had them installed for 3 days and I have to pay to ship them back to ML. Bad enough these cost $14,000 plus tax and shipping cost to my home. Now I have to pay another $365 to ship them back to ML for thier lack of Quality control. Wow, I am being treat as if I don't own any ML speakers. 2 pairs of Aeon I's, a pair of Vista, Motif, Stage, Depth i, 2 pairs of script i's. Not to mention the Sources I bought in May 2008 and a pair of Fresco's. Anyone want any Martin Logan speakers dirt cheap? This is total BS and now considering selling all my ML and buying something else. We now live in a world that the consumer doesn't matter only the maker of the product. Oh man am I angry, they tried to tell me they changed the way they did the finish on the Summit X's and rough areas and matte is normal, Sure the matte with the process but a cabinet that wasnt properly sanded, give me a break. Guess i will just send my Summit X's back to my dealer and buy another brand. Anyone want a pair of Summit X's cheap?

For 14K they should be perfect.
I have Prodigies and they listed for 12K at one time and the material covering the back woofer and front is very thin and has worn off in some areas from minor moves as well as the plastic knobs for the binding posts cracking and I am very carefull with equipment over the last 30 plus years.Good thing they sound so good. Best of luck,
Bob

why isn't your dealer handling this in the first place?
They are, but they are 600 miles from me and I have to pay $365 to ship it back to them. So we are both dealing with ML trying to get this resolved. My local ML dealer is 160 miles from me and doesn't carry the quality of Audio gear I require. Elite amps are nice but not what I need nor is Onkyo. Thus I deal with a Dealer 600 miles from me that is an authorized premiere dealer for ML, Krell, Anthem, Wilson, McIntosh, Bel Canto, Jl Audio and the list goes on. We are dealing with it, but i feel the economy is effecting ML too and they are tightening up on claims. If it was a car I would be protected by > Lemon Law and arbitration. Audio, your on your own! Subjected to the will of the maker and their opinions and views on such a flaw happening. I think this really flawed cabinet just got by quality control after staining and clear coat. It is unfortunate but at 14k it isnt right and I shouldnt have to pay for something they didn't produce right. I am just asking for it to be fixed and not be charged for shipping, is that to much to ask?

Well, why don't you wait to see how this gets resolved until you raise a big stink? If you've spent any time on this forum at all, it's pretty obvious that ML stands behind their product very well.

And it sounds like your dealer, not ML is the one that's not handling the problem. If they wanted to ship product 600 mi to you, it's their fault for not taking them out of the box and double checking things before they sent the speakers your way.

Well, why don't you wait to see how this gets resolved until you raise a big stink? If you've spent any time on this forum at all, it's pretty obvious that ML stands behind their product very well.

And it sounds like your dealer, not ML is the one that's not handling the problem. If they wanted to ship product 600 mi to you, it's their fault for not taking them out of the box and double checking things before they sent the speakers your way.

Good theory blame the middle man. Don't hold the maker responsible! Pass the buck, love it.

As for opening and checking, Even my so called local ML dealer didn't open and inspect my Vistas when I bought them and had them shipped. How many clients want open boxes? I didn't buy a krell Amp to have my dealer open the box and check it, Krell is suppose to assure me it works when the item leaves their hands. The sealed box protects the buyers from buying Floor Demos at full retail price and tells us the item should be in mint condition. What dealer really checks, sure I have asked some dealers to verify the working order of some sacd players before shipping. Most dealers when you ask them to check a speaker will check for dents, plug them in to make sure they sound ok and work. They wont run their hands over every inch of the item, just doesnt happen.

Your entitled to your views and beliefs and so am I! Thats like we blame Toys R Us for selling toys with lead instead of blaming the companies that made the toys. Great middle man always takes the heat for higher ups mistakes.

If I have offended you by stating my 4 days of frustration with no returned phone calls I do have to say I am sorry. I have dealt with ML before on a defective sub, sent back twice on my dime in a month. Third time they sent me a new sub, had to send the back on my dime 2 days later! It had a bad control panel causing a 90db humm, with nothing plugged into it. Everytime I ship the 100 lb sub, I pay for it and insure it. Cost me about $95 each time!
In the end, the sub worked but it cost me an additional $400, for a product that should have been right from day one. They give me that new one and it was bad. According to you then they should have checked and thats my point ML should have better QC! I have dealt with ML, I have been visiting this site since 2008, March.

Thanks for your response, Mike

No wonder they want to charge me 2000$ for quest panels!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,
That is absurd. As you have described the blemishes, I cannot believe they passed QC final inspection. However, you are in an exceedingly rare situation in regards to your proximity to your dealer. Since there is a dealer 1/4 the distance of yours, could ML possibly arrange you shipping them there? It would have to be a good bit cheaper.

I have been disappointed with the quality of the "veneer" on my Vantages. The stuff is awfully thin. There are numerous places where veneer is peeling slightly. Barely noticeable unless hovering over them. However, my Aerius i's have nary a mark.
Cheers,
ML

Hello,
I own Premiere Audio Video in Cullman, Al. If any of my clients have issues with the products they buy and the manufacturer does not pay to have faulty inwarranty products shipped back then we pay it for our customers. That is supposed to be the benefit to using brick and mortar dealers. Customer Satisfaction!!!! I would demand that your dealer cover your costs. I would!! sorry you did not buy from us
John

Can you get me panels for less than 2000$???????? I do live in Canada however but there is free trade!

At 14k+ for the speakers, I wonder how many of these does ML manufacture per month?

At any rate, it's entirely unacceptable. For that much money, the dealer and ML should be bending over backwards to satisfy their customers!

I am just looking at a way to buy panels in the near future without paying a rediculous 2000$ to the distributor here in Canada! You guys pay 900$ Even with the dollar exchange it does not add up! He wanted 1100$ a few months ago and then blames it on the company saying they raised their prices so much they have no choice!

Mine are still very good but are 10 years old and after doing a whole crossover thing and cosmetic changes I want to really keep them but new panels are more expensive than used Quests!! What is going on? It does not cost anywhere near 2000$ to build them as they already have all in place and probably have for 20 years! I really like my speakers but if that is the case I will probably return to another make.

I am just looking at a way to buy panels in the near future without paying a rediculous 2000$ to the distributor here in Canada! You guys pay 900$
When it's time to replace my panels I will buy them Stateside, and the hell with the warranty. I will of course inform the dealer and distributor of this before I do so.

Back