Speakers You Have Known And Loved...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've known a lot of speakers, but only loved the MartinLogans.

Maybe if I'd had the opportunity to own more panel or line-source speakers I could actually list some.

ESS- AMT 1D

Carver Amazing

were two of my favs that I have owned and loved but they were not as good as my Logans overall

I will second those Optimus (Radio Shack) LX-4 they were amazing for the cost, kevlar woofer and Linaeum tweeter nice wood veneer I think I bought a pair new from the shack for $50-75 or some such...

The original kef reference series was real nice I still miss my 102r

ESS- AMT 1D

Carver Amazing

were two of my favs that I have owned and loved but they were not as good as my Logans overall

Ahh good call I had the Amazing s also. They had a special sound that was AMAZING !

had and loved... Realistic Electrostatic 2A, Dynaco A-25, Large Advent, JBL L-88 plus RTR ERS-6 add on, ESS Heil AMT tweeter with Seas W18eoo1 project....have now as a family room back-up...Troels TJL2W:music:....plan to try/build in the future...LOU's Cryolites and maybe an all active Fountek Neo 2+Seas W18EX001+ Dayton RS225s tower.

Hmmmm....

ESS AMT-1's
Magnepan Tympani's
Magnepan 20.1's
Acoustat 1+1 and 2+2's
Spica TC-50's
Rogers LS3/5a's
Celestion SL600's
Vandersteen 1C's
ProAc Tablette's
Harbeth Compact 7's
Harbeth Monitor 40.1's
Meridian 7200's
ML CLS
ML Aerius
ML CLX
Tetra 506 Custom
Verity Audio Rienze
GamuT S-7
YG Acoustics Anat II
Focal Diablo Utopia
Apogee Caliper Signatures

Those are my current faves that I've owned
and/or lived with long term.

Define the true audiophile.

;)

And now for something completely different –

My favorite speakers were the ones standing behind me as i type and listen, the Bose 10.2 currently handling the rear in the setup.

As you probably surmised, i have not had a long history of high-end speakers.

As much as Bose is downplayed in this forum, i have to say that the 10.2s impressed me. They were used with an Aiwa amp/processor and a Thorens turntable. For me, it was high end. You should have seen what they replaced.

From the Bose to the MLs, and now i understand more so why sometimes Bose is not highly respected around here.

I really enjoyed and still do enjoy my Infinity Quantum Line Source 1's. I am saving them for a spare room as even though I will have ML in my main room, I cannot bare to part with them. They need new subwoofers and a slight refreshing. The EMITs are still perfect, as are the dome tweeters and midranges. The rear adjustment panels are where most of the work aside from the subwoofers is needed. Good project for sometime in the next year or two...

I foresee many future years of love and use, if albeit in a slightly different setting than what they currently know.

Last edited:
And now for something completely different –

My favorite speakers were the ones standing behind me as i type and listen, the Bose 10.2 currently handling the rear in the setup.

As you probably surmised, i have not had a long history of high-end speakers.

As much as Bose is downplayed in this forum, i have to say that the 10.2s impressed me. They were used with an Aiwa amp/processor and a Thorens turntable. For me, it was high end. You should have seen what they replaced.

From the Bose to the MLs, and now i understand more so why sometimes Bose is not highly respected around here.

I have to agree with you there. I have never understood why people (audiophiles) love to put sh1t on Bose - they are NOT a competitor for Martin Logan, and they have never proclaimed that they are.

What they do do is make some reasonable quality, reasonable sounding "mid-fi", albeit at ambitious prices, that sounds a darn sight better than the other rubbish out there like Sony and Pioneer et al.

It is also looks very nice hence the justification for the asking price.

They've got their niche and target market - Good luck to 'em.

Last edited:
Linn Nexus - never that well reviewed, pretty good if you ask me.
ProAc 2.5s - always been a ProAc fan, really.
JBL Control 1Gs - cheap, tiny, but really quite enjoyable.
ML Aerius - good, mid-range problems due to bit of plastic stuck behind panel.
ML Ascent/Descent - better than the Aerius by a big margin.
Mission 770s
Rebuilt Apogee DSs look to be there too. Early days, though:)
M&D Sapphires - just hit them with 400 Watts of AVI power today and they loved it!
My brother's big, old Celestion Ditton 25s. Big, deep relaxed sound.

That's not too many, really, come to think of it...

Boy, there are some great speakers here. But here are a couple that really turned my corner in the kingdom of audiophiledom.

Dahlquist DQ10 ( In fact last year I bought a set of refurbed DQ-10s which I then gave to my college roomate for his 50th birthday.) They still sound amazing especially with all the upgrades you can get now.

STR Piezo Electric Super Tweeters (Man these were great to pair with just about anything, they gave that top end you crave)

And old set of Janszen Laboratory Loudspeakers. My first exposure to electrostats, I can't remember if the were Z40s or 600s but they were futuristic back in the 70s.

And then I bought 4 ML Stylos which I still have, and the subsequest ML speakers of which I now own 20,

These were all some of the best speakers I ever owned.

Yes...:)

And no - anyone who has owned that many pairs of speakers must be inclined that way.

Best leave that subject alone, though. It can get a bit fiery.:D

It's just never right with you is it?

I know, I'm missing the point of your "humour" again...

Make a snide comment, then retract in a passive/aggressive manor. At least you are consistent. Your insults really get tiring.

And as usual, you aren't paying attention, because the post said "Owned or have lived with."

It's just never right with you is it?

I know, I'm missing the point of your "humour" again...

Make a snide comment, then retract in a passive/aggressive manor. At least you are consistent. Your insults really get tiring.

And as usual, you aren't paying attention, because the post said "Owned or have lived with."

You're simply reading me utterly, totally and completely incorrectly, Jeff.

Period.

I thought I'd edit this just for the sake of love, peace and harmony. In no way was that post intended to be an insult,

You seem to have some paranoia going on that I'm trying to attack you/that I dislike you, and are reading things into what I am saying that I simply am not.

I really am not trying to attack you and I don't actively dislike you, not that I even really know you. This is an internet forum, not real life. So don't worry about it.

If you really want, I'll explain what the comment meant.

Last edited:
Mirage speakers.

Had a set of 5.1 Omnistats. Sold those and got my MLs. Now that I'm finishing my basement and have more room for more speakers, I got some Mirages again. Just love the design and the sound of those.

Mission 770 - actually I still own them and they sound pretty darn good in the secondary stereo system although being 30 years of age.

From about 1973 to 1978 (Jr High & High school) I listened to a Panasonic transistor radio while falling to sleep. Good music of the era plus radio comedies like Chicken Man, National Lampoon and Gabe Kaplan kept me going.

Similar to this:
http://www.dr-boesch.ch/radio/radio-e/zeitl-portable-e.htm
panasonic-rf6300-small.jpg

EDIT: I really liked my B&O RL 600's when in my old office up on the wall. Right now they are wasting away as surround speakers.

Last edited:
At that time I had a B&O Beolit 707 mono radio about the same size. It was the good old B&O times ...

Last edited:
Back