SL3 makeover

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah!..... I've just placed the order for new SL3 panels from MartinLogan!
In the meantime..... does anyone have recommendations for crossover capacitor upgrade?
I won't do it until my new panels are installed and broken in, but I'd like to start researching it.

Love the SL3! Just don't hold your breath-Robert D and I are waiting on panels ordered about 3 months ago..........

Might be worth doing that, as the old woofer is probably underperforming.

A common misconception. Dynamic drivers do not "underperform" due to age. They only underperform if they are damaged in one way or another.

A common misconception. Dynamic drivers do not "underperform" due to age. They only underperform if they are damaged in one way or another.
My 20 year old Prodigy woofers still sound good.

Right now I'm using some 25 year old Definitive speakers that sound brand new.

My 20 year old Prodigy woofers still sound good.

Right now I'm using some 25 year old Definitive speakers that sound brand new.

Exactly.

As long as there's nothing wrong with the suspension, motor, etc, etc, dynamic drivers will perform perfectly fine for years and years. Even really old field coil drivers from the 1920's still operate perfectly today.

M-L quoted me 4 months wait time for my SL3 panels.... I'm OK with that.
As for old speakers.... I've also got 31 yr old B&W Matrix 801-S2's that I absolutely love. All the drivers are perfect. Over the years I've done many crossover upgrades, first replacing all the electrolytics, and later upgrading the PP's or mylars that were originally in there. Also, I re-oriented 2 inductors to reduce crosstalk. The mods aren't pretty, but they sure sound better!

M-L quoted me 4 months wait time for my SL3 panels.... I'm OK with that.
As for old speakers.... I've also got 31 yr old B&W Matrix 801-S2's that I absolutely love. All the drivers are perfect. Over the years I've done many crossover upgrades, first replacing all the electrolytics, and later upgrading the PP's or mylars that were originally in there. Also, I re-oriented 2 inductors to reduce crosstalk. The mods aren't pretty, but they sure sound better!
My time given was 3 months and it looks like it is fairly accurate. Ron said that they only have one man for making replacement panels. I want them to take their time and do it right. They must have more orders now than when I got in.

Back