Remember happiness is... ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugano

Reaction score
+46° 1' 26.41", +8° 57' 5.40" (Switzerland)
My fundamental impression about this forum is that we are all great music enjoyers, to start with.

Our experience and our basic research has led us to appreciate Martin Logan speakers more than other brands - brands which we respect and sometimes lust upon - and after reading tons of threads on this club I might as well add that we are responsible audiophiles, people who know about the law of diminishing returns and some other, stronger laws, which begin with WI and end with FE.

Many of us have done their homework and we're around 40 years old as a mean, judging by the poll results - an age at which you can't fool us anymore, unless we choose to get fooled, just because we sometimes need and want to be kids again.
Many of us are former Magnepan or Quad ESL users, some are future enjoyers of these brands, some others think about HT and a more uniform soundscape by betting their money on a jack of all trades brand... but what comes out strong is the music, not the sound, proof for this are the many recommended/listened-to music threads.

Overall, there is a certain peace and calmness, we all agree on much more topics than we disagree upon. (Sometimes we even look for disagreements, just for the pleasure of igniting a hot discussion, methinks).
All this makes this place a pleasure to land upon, a safe harbour and a green, sunny island for all of us.

Great job, man.

My fundamental impression about this forum is that we are all great music enjoyers, to start with.

Our experience and our basic research has led us to appreciate Martin Logan speakers more than other brands - brands which we respect and sometimes lust upon - and after reading tons of threads on this club I might as well add that we are responsible audiophiles, people who know about the law of diminishing returns and some other, stronger laws, which begin with WI and end with FE.

Many of us have done their homework and we're around 40 years old as a mean, judging by the poll results - an age at which you can't fool us anymore, unless we choose to get fooled, just because we sometimes need and want to be kids again.
Many of us are former Magnepan or Quad ESL users, some are future enjoyers of these brands, some others think about HT and a more uniform soundscape by betting their money on a jack of all trades brand... but what comes out strong is the music, not the sound, proof for this are the many recommended/listened-to music threads.

Overall, there is a certain peace and calmness, we all agree on much more topics than we disagree upon. (Sometimes we even look for disagreements, just for the pleasure of igniting a hot discussion, methinks).
All this makes this place a pleasure to land upon, a safe harbour and a green, sunny island for all of us.

Great job, man.

Just like the Mac/Windows threads???? :p

I agree, music is the common bond here. An Audiophile that is not a music fan...is not really an Audiophile ;)

Hey Lugano,

very well said. I'm very happy to see new ML owners finding the site and asking for help, etc. It's cool to "see" the excitement in their posts as they're just discovering the magic of ESLs!

Thanks to all of you who make this site what it is: a place not only to come chat and learn, but to make friends.

Tom.

Beautiful "Live" Sounding Music ~ Makes The World Go Around...

lugano, BD, Tom,

I completely agree with you gentlemen.
:D Short of employing a different live band to come to my home every night. I just love the sound my ML's make, sure they could sound much better, tubes, vinyl, cables, etc. but that's just the perfectionist speaking in me. :p Bottom line, I just want whatever sounds closest to the real thing ~ "live music" and ML's ~ ESL's are the closest to live music, I have ever found produced by speakers, I could afford. ;)

Damn, kinda makes me wanna have some 'apple pie' tonite ! well said Lugano and had you been at Dan's this past weekend you would have come away with those very same thoughts !!

Tom mentioned new owners 'discovering the magic of ESLs'....has anyone ever had a guest (perhaps a non-audio type) stare at the ESL panel in utter disbelief that sound emaniates from something you can see through? I find amusement in watching guests twist and contort with their ears up to the panel, trying to find where the magic comes from.

The real fun is when friends bring their own CD's over to see how 'good they really sound' (!)

Tj

Damn, kinda makes me wanna have some 'apple pie' tonite ! well said Lugano and had you been at Dan's this past weekend you would have come away with those very same thoughts !!

Yes, I was just thinking that same thing. I've found that of all the different kinds of owners of high-end audio gear, ML owners tend to be some of the nicest too. I've met all sorts of folks in audio shops, and most of the folks I meet tend to be a little on the "cold" side. Perhaps they're afraid to talk to people they don't know, being a little paranoid becaus eof their usually deep pockets. Perhaps it's just that the general culture in the DC area is full of distrust and paranoia. But Every time I've met an ML owner in a shop, it's lead to long conversations, and usually the two of us sitting down to listen to the new ML's in the shop, sharing our CDs as we go.

And then there are events like the ML Meet we had out here in the DC area last weekend. How many Krell, Sonus Faber, or MBL owners do you know who would invite half a dozen strangers into their home, to eat, hang out, and listen to music for 4 or 5 hours?

Because, in the end, I think ML owners are just happier people in general, than many other folks in the "high-end" audio world. Maybe it's because we already know we have FANTASTIC sounding speakers, and the only way we'll upgrade that part of our system is to get newer or bigger MLs. We know we've got THAT part of the equation licked... :)

--Richard

Last edited:
Tom mentioned new owners 'discovering the magic of ESLs'....has anyone ever had a guest (perhaps a non-audio type) stare at the ESL panel in utter disbelief that sound emaniates from something you can see through?

Oh, yea...happens all the time. We have quite a few friends come over and see the (still fairly) new house and we like to have parties for our church friends and Porsche club friends and whatever and there is always one or two folks who will walk up to the speakers in TOTAL disbelief at what they are hearing and how they work... It is hard to wrap your head around if you are used to cones making all the noise. I can't wait to see the reaction I get from the MBL 101's! The guy that is hanging on to them for me has them at his office and he said EVERYONE that comes in can't even believe they are speakers!

Sweet Talking... For MBL's...

Oh, yea...happens all the time. We have quite a few friends come over and see the (still fairly) new house and we like to have parties for our church friends and Porsche club friends and whatever and there is always one or two folks who will walk up to the speakers in TOTAL disbelief at what they are hearing and how they work... It is hard to wrap your head around if you are used to cones making all the noise. I can't wait to see the reaction I get from the MBL 101's! The guy that is hanging on to them for me has them at his office and he said EVERYONE that comes in can't even believe they are speakers!
James,

:drool: What did you say was the name of that guy holding your MBL's for you? I would be willing to drive from California just to pick-up - my MBL's, I mean - your MBL's, for you James. Sure..., I may have strong urge to borrow them for a few years to audition first properly..., on permenent - long term loan, of course - you understand... :D :D

Back