Ramblings About Dedicated Music Rooms

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
I look with some envy at a lot of the dedicated music rooms here, where WAF is not a consideration, and acoustic panels and equipment racks can be all over the place.

I had such a room once. It was located above my garage, and I could do with it what I wanted, and I did. But, one thing I also enjoy doing is cooking (and I spend a lot of time at it), but my kitchen was downstairs from my music room, so I could not listen to music while cooking, and sorely missed it.

Then I sold the house and moved into an apartment (fortunately with a larger living room than my former music room), and now the living room, where I have my sound system, is adjacent to the kitchen, so I can listen to my heart's content while cooking. The space is now shared, and I now spend less time listening critically, but enjoy myself a lot more.....the music is what it is all about!

Just an alternate viewpoint that I thought I would share.

Last edited:
I have the exact same situation... Family/Listening Room being a shared space, with kitchen located directly behind it. I'm not a great cook, but the main work surface of our kitchen is right in a "sweet spot"! I've made the Family Room as acoustically friendly as possible (while preserving WAF). I only get about 2-3 hours of dedicated listening each week, but music is usually playing in the background non-stop when I'm home. All in all, I'm quite happy with the arrangement.

Attachments

• KitchenListen (Small).jpg
    KitchenListen (Small).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Alan, you do realize that those pans are highly reflective, contribute to comb-filtering at your work surface sweet spot, and should be properly treated.:p :D

/Ken

Alan, you do realize that those pans are highly reflective, contribute to comb-filtering at your work surface sweet spot, and should be properly treated.:p :D

/Ken

Actually, they are Alan's version of Gordon Gray's controversial tweak - these are the Magic Pots! You'll note that they are strategically arrayed as a sort of Hemholtz Resonator.

Actually, I conducted double-blind testing with aluminum, stainless steel, and myrtle wood pots/pans. The latter were a huge disappointment! :D

Cooking and Listening . Two of my favorites. Although I prefer to BBQ outside !

Bernard,

We would get along great, I like to eat. Cook not so much, listen while I eat allot.:D

That is one of the nice things about having a dedicated listening room I can eat and listen all I want and I am never satisfied.:rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing.

i found that when i had the good system in the living room off the kitchen i'd burn stuff all the time because i was constantly wandering out to the sweet spot for "a quick listen to this good section..." :D

now i have the good gear in the HT room and the second system in the other room. it's funny but i can fully enjoy the Quad 57's from around the corner.

I too look with envy at the dedicated rooms. My room is semi-dedicated - it is effectively a dedicated room, but it does not close off completely meaning sound leaks out and that means no loud listening sessions whenever I want which really sux.

I've got a crappy system in the kitchen area (with a second Squeezebox) for listening while cooking or doing anything else.

Dedicated rooms rule. You don't have to spend much on a secondary system to listen to while doing other tasks. In fact, I find it superior since you aren't ruining your 'Logans/expending valve life on non-critical listening!!

The biggest problem with having your system in a kitchen area is the noise - especially from the refrigerator. I've had many a near miss with off food when I have turned the 'fridge off and forgot to turn it back on after listening!

It's better than a near miss of a rage attack when my favourite Mozart flute solo is rudely interrupted by noise from kitchen appliances!

Last edited:
I love my listening room its inception was started because I live in a close quarters with intolerant neighbors :puke: now I listen to my hearts content. given a choice I would probably always enjoy the living room setup over the listening room although I am really digging the fact that I have a room in my house that is made exclusively for HIFI and the toys that go with it and that's it. Every time a friend comes over and we have few drinks he likes to say "shall we retire to the home theater room" lol now how can that be wrong? the one really nice thing about my listening room is that is it is dead silent and I mean that there is no noise at all! it is so calm and quite that you can almost hear the blood running through your body this really drops the noise floor and creates a black backdrop behind the music especially at night.one more nice point is that if I have a party I just lock the door to that room and nobody even would guess what's in it and no chance of beer being spilled on anything such as my amps or logans. Their is pros and cons to each setup that's why I have a pair of fresco I's in my living room and you know what they do a pretty dam good job.

Last edited:
Actually, they are Alan's version of Gordon Gray's controversial tweak - these are the Magic Pots! You'll note that they are strategically arrayed as a sort of Hemholtz Resonator.
Love it Tim! :ROFL:

Dear Tim and Bernard,

With all due respect, this is no longer funny.

Please stop.

GG

I was actually only trying to make a pun, not cause any controversy. Certainly didn't mean to offend you particularly Gordon.

yeah, that's how I took it also......somewhat "funny" now that you mention it !

Dear Tim and Bernard,

With all due respect, this is no longer funny.

Please stop.

GG

Gordon - you shouldn't be so sensitive about it - that was one of the best threads MLOC has ever had the privilege to host. You should be proud.

Just my honest opinion.

Justin

Latest posts

Back